PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) -

Button ($2)
SB ($3.91)
Hero (BB) ($4.10)
UTG ($0.55)
MP ($2.07)
CO ($6.24)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A
2 folds, CO bets $0.06, 1 fold, SB raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.54, CO calls $0.48, SB calls $0.34

Flop: ($1.62) J, 6, Q (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.92, 1 fold, SB raises to $1.84

I had a bad feeling in my stomache right when I saw the flop, and sure enough this had to happen.
Questions:
- Was my 4-bet-sizing ok?
- Should I refrain from c-betting?
- Is it ok to fold to the check-raise? Calling is out of question, so the only alternative is shoving.

Olaf

Old
Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hey Olaf,

Pre-flop sizing is fine, you could make it bigger if the villain has showed tendencies to not fold very often at these small stakes but in general it's good.

I think Cbetting this flop is still better than checking because we'll be totally lost in the hand by checking and open ourselves up to being bluffed off the hand since calling any bets puts us in a lot of nightmare spots on the turn. Also, if we check we lose value to a lot of hands that will call us on the flop that we are ahead of.

Being slightly over 200 big blinds deep, I think you have to get away from this hand on the flop against most villains. I'm assuming the SB is a bit of a regular player based on their large stack size and 3bet sizing so I would take this check-raise to hardly ever be a bluff. Especially given the min-raise, this would seem to be almost never a bluff...so the question becomes do we beat any hands in their value range here (ie. do we think villain would do this with a hand like AQ or KQ or maybe even KK). This is going to have to come down to reads but from my experience this looks like a set, or QJ at the worst. I think it's reasonable to expect for the villain to call your 4bet pre-flop a lot with QQ and JJ too (although it's a bad call in my opinion).

One last thing to consider is that your hand looks extremely strong after 4betting pre-flop and then continuation betting into 2 players on this scary board. You basically represent exactly what you have (AA) and I would assume that most villains will not expect you to fold this hand.

cliff: fold

gl !

Last edited by frosty012; Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks, Frosty.
Needless to say that I was curious: He did have QQ for top set. But that is why I am playing 2 NL, not 200 NL
Olaf

Last edited by PMBG73PA; Fri Nov 23, 2012 at 07:25 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com