Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Weekly Round 2 AQs Continutation Bet - Early stages

Old
Weekly Round 2 AQs Continutation Bet - Early stages - Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hey, guys. This was a hand I played early on:

My only reads at the time was that most of the table was passive, and only Villain_6 (who didn't play this hand) was loose. I later read that Villain_5 was tight-passive, but I didn't know this at the time.

Was my continuation bet on the flop a good move this early in the tournament, or should I have checked?

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Christxof!

With AQs from the blinds, I want to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper because I have to play the hand out of position. The BB folds and I get to play the pot HU. I'm going to miss most flops and by getting the BB out of the hand, there is less of a chance that the opps have hit.

The flop is three connected undercards. Since I did raise preflop, I'm going to make a c-bet here of 1/2 pot (90). This makes my hand look much stronger than it is (standard bet sizes and following the same betting pattern with all my hands helps to accomplish this). Also, if the opp does have a pair, I do have a back-up plan with the two overcards.
My plan for the hand after I make the c-bet is this.....
If the opp folds, then I win the pot without a fight.
If the opp calls, then I will check the turn if I do not improve my hand.
If the opp raises, then I'll fold and have a very playable stack early in a tourney.

By making the c-bet, it gives me a chance to take down the pot without a fight and also sets a minimum that I'm going to lose in the hand if the opp does have me beat.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks, JWK. I supposed my continuation bet was a little large, but I wanted to be sure that my opponent wouldn't get the right odds to call.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com