Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

3 bet shove or how I played it?

Old
3 bet shove or how I played it? - Sun Nov 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011

Maybe a hand to vent off steam but this is the MM Main Event. I'm looking a spot to get my chips in.

Villian UTG was my main worry, he had stats of 21% VPiP and 17% PFR which is pretty tight aggressive. Villian in cut of was 38% and 25% but only over a small sample of hands. I guessed I was ahead of his range range pre and post flop.

Should I squeeze here?

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
Hi Ovalman

I would be shoving here, as you say looking for a good spot to get the 12bb in, I think this is one. The UTG is definitely a worry but I wouldn't consider 21/17 TAG for a FR tournament (alhtough definitely not "LAG", somewhere in between), I think he would be raising AT and KQs with those stats, and also has a decent stack that he was possibly bullying with. And yeah you have the CO range crushed so I wouldn't be worried about him preflop. With that flop its a no brainer, just unlucky to run into the set

And btw having everyone fold would be a good outcome, a nice boost to your stack

Last edited by Barbzz; Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 07:28 PM..

Old
just unlucky i think - Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
http://www.boomplayer.com/nl/poker-h...852_E608200E1A

Old
Sun Nov 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ovalman!

With 12BB, with a min-raise and a call, I want to be shoving or folding here. I don't want to have to call, then fold (lose 1/6th my stack) and I don't want to let the opps see a card that could beat me.
To see if I should shove, I'll go to pokerstove and look at my hand equities against the opps ranges.

If I end up only against UTG (17% hand), my AQo has 57.1% equity, which is plenty to call since I'm the favorite.

If I end up against the CO only, with them playing a wider range, then I'm an even higher favorite.

If both stay, my AQo is worth 39.4%. But, if both stay, then my pot equity will be below 33% due to the chips already in the pot.. so this is a positive play too.

Since every situation is a +EV play, I'm going to shove my AQo preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 26, 2012, 07:40 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
The money bubble was creeping up and I suppose I wanted some fold equity if I missed the flop. I was worried about AKo to tell the truth but in hindsight it was a scared money play rather than good aggressive poker.

Yesterday was an AHA day for me. I learned so much and I gained several nuggets of information. I cashed in the Pokercast game and gained another $50 bonus to work through which offsets the $22 buy in.

Many thanks for the replies.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com