Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Coolered,but was there other options ?

Old
Coolered,but was there other options ? - Mon Nov 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi guys,

I've started today with playing poker and i immediatly play 90 man mtt ,buy-in 1,50 dollar (15 min structure).
We were like in the middle stage in the mtt,we've lost more than half of players of the field.

Video link:http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=FF33D0A7B8

Blinds was 75/150,prattman1 limps utg with a stat of 22/8(vpip/pfr),Onmoa shoves all-in for 10BB (15/12),he could shove with any A-rag,77+,broadways suited and offsuit. I have QQ on the button.I mean,this is a easy/auto call,but i also wanted to isolate MeneerMeeuw.MeneerMeeuw was new at the table.I shoved all-in for around 20 BB and MeneerMeeuw called/shoved w/e.

I just want to know,did i play this hand correct or could i make any other moves?

MolaSalo !!!

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi MolaSalo!

Honestly, I really like the way that this hand was played.

I have a limper and then a 10BB stack shove (which should be a wider range). With this action in front of me and a premium hand, QQ, I'm going to re-shove to try and isolate the 10BB shove. Unfortunately, the SB woke up with a bigger monster here.

Even if one of the blinds or the limper call my shove, it will still be a +EV play against their entire range. For example, even if the limper calls, it's not only a +EV play, but I'm a 52.2% favorite to win the hand into a pot where I have 38.3% pot equity. +13.9%EV

The overwhelming majority of the time, I'm way ahead here, but unfortunately, the SB had one of the two hands that dominate me.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
(#3)
Jwk,thanks for advise
I also know more about EV+ situations

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mola Salo!

Finding +EV situations is a key when playing poker. Normally they will be small +EV situations, but larger ones like this do happen in tourneys. In the long run, by re-shoving here, it will lead to a larger expected gain over time... but unfortunately, in the short run, we will lose some of the times we're in this situation.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 01:52 PM
(#5)
Jwk,is there a EV+ situation lesson that i can follow?
Or can you explain a little bit more about EV+.
I just dont know when your shove is profitable in a long run...

I just know you have to range the villian and put it in Pokerstove.When hand equity is higher than pot equity,than we are in an EV+ situation and when hand equity lower is than pot equity,then we are in a EV- situation.And if you want to know it in %,you have to calculate the difference between those 2 percentage.

Last edited by MolaSalo; Tue Nov 27, 2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here are two videos that should help.

The first is on odds and the second is on Pokerstove.

EV is the hand equity - pot equity. The videos will help with the hand equity part.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com