Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Banroll Builder

Old
Banroll Builder - Tue Nov 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi guys,

I've signed up to PSO, passed the "poker basics" course and played a few freerolls since, am I good for the promotion ?

Thanks

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefeydd View Post
Hi guys,
I've signed up to PSO, passed the "poker basics" course and played a few freerolls since, am I good for the promotion ?
Thanks
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 27, 2012, 06:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, please practice on the play money NL 9-max tables (full ring) and please post a hand that you were not sure about using the hand replayer. Here is a video tutorial on how to use the hand replayer.

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
(#4)
Hi, here are the latest news...

I've just attended to the "Getting started" live training, and since they were all in a row, I've also followed the "bet sizing" and the "cash basics" ones

Regarding the Play money hand, I was wondering in this one if betting the river for value was a good thing or not, since at that point, I could well be facing a flush and lose

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 08:50 AM
(#5)
Hi,

What reads did you have on the villain? How active where they at the table?
Read less, I'm going to be betting for value flop, turn, and river for 3/4 75% pot! There is a wide limping range that connect well with that board texture (Jx, Ax, Khigh, inside straight draw, flush draw, mid pocket pair etc..)
A set of 3's is so disguised on this board texture, the villains won't know what hit them in this type of scenario!
Well played and nice pot for a scoop!

The next stage in your Bank Roll Builder, please take the Basic Assessment Quiz, once you've finished it, let me know and your 1st Bank Roll Builder buy-in will be awarded to you!

Good luck!

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 12:01 PM
(#6)
ok, basic quizz passed

For the record, concerning the hand with the set, players involved were pretty loose/passive preflop and much tighter postflop

thanks for your help

Hoping to have the same hands to play on the real tables...

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
(#7)
Quote:
ok, basic quizz passed

For the record, concerning the hand with the set, players involved were pretty loose/passive preflop and much tighter postflop

thanks for your help

Hoping to have the same hands to play on the real tables...
Well done on the Quiz!

I like that you remember the villains tendencies! Start taking notes/color coding at the real money tables about villain tendencies/hand ranges just in case you are to play them again at a different table during your next session.

Your 1st Bank Roll Roll Builder buy-in will be awarded to you within the next 24 hours, please use this buy-in at a full table of 9 players 1/2c 9-max NLHE. If you encounter any situations that you had difficulty with, post a hand replay here and I'll assist you.

Best of luck to you at the tables.

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 08:11 AM
(#8)
I've started to play at the cash tables, things are not going too bad for now...

There was a hand I didn't really know how to handle it though

The guy was pretty tight, so I decided to play it safe, but I hesitated with a call... but if I suspect the guy is trying to steal the blinds, and if I decide to play the hand, what's the best way to do it with a speculative hand like J8s ? flat calling to see a flop or reraising him ?

What's my next step now (besides crushing everyone at the table, of course ) ?

Last edited by Hefeydd; Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:06 PM..

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:17 AM
(#9)
Here's another one

I tried to make him put money in by only calling his bets... and the result wasn't good
Did I play it too passively or is it just bad beat ?

Last edited by Hefeydd; Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 12:06 PM
(#10)
Honestly guys, can you believe this ??

I knew the guy was crazy since he played each and every hands since he sat down, but at this point

Last edited by Hefeydd; Fri Dec 07, 2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 06:09 PM
(#11)
in a heads up pot with position on the villain it's an ok call versus both loose and tight villains with a stack depth of 50bb. It has a lot of post flop potential in terms of draws (flush + straights). 3betting and inflating vs. a loose villain that attempts steals to often is good as we can take down the pot uncontested pre-flop, but it's entirely dependent on their tendencies...example to they attempt to steal frequently but fold to a 3bet defend? Do they steal and flat 3bets often?

3betting vs. a tight villain with pre-flop...i wouldn't do..their range is perceived as strong..flat call and see a flop is best in my opinion.

What where your reads on villain9?
Flat calling the villains 3x open is fine, there will be to many flops that we will not feel comfortable betting for value.
On the flop I'd raise to 24c or 30c as there is a wide range of hands to get value from (JJ QQ KK AA, AT KT QT JT QJ KJ J8[off suit and suited]) and to many turn cards kill my action.

On the turn, if the villain leads into me we've set up the pot size on the flop to get our stack in on the turn.

As for the river play, we played our hand like a flush draw essentially turning a set of 9's into a bluff. As for bet sizing on the river.. 1/2 pot is what I'd bet..betting full pot might be value owning our self if the villain is known to be betting draws..if that's the case checking back the river is fine too.

Since villain9 was playing really loose and they have played every hand(but what where their post flop tendencies?)...I'd raise KK up to 32c to get max value.

The flop, interesting spot.. what where your reads on villain7 and more importantly when we shoved all in what range of worse hands where we trying to get value from?

There will be juicy players that call ATC(any two cards) and get to showdown with marginal holdings...that's who we want at the tables...that's what keeps the games profitable.

Please take the Cash Game Quiz, this is the next step in
your Bank Roll Builder. Let me know once you have passed it and your 2nd buy-in will be awarded to you!

Good luck.

Old
Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
(#12)
ok, i've just passed the cash quizz...

thanks for the detailed comments, will look into it closely

Old
Wed Dec 05, 2012, 04:15 PM
(#13)
Quote:
ok, i've just passed the cash quizz...

thanks for the detailed comments, will look into it closely
Well done on the Cash Game Quiz!

Your 2nd Bank Roll Builder buy-in will be awarded to you within the next 24 hours! Let me know once you have received it.

One question, what key differences have you noticed transitioning from play money to real money in terms of player tendencies and skill edge?

Best of luck to you at the tables! If you have any questions about full ring NLHE..ask them..don't be shy!

CannonLee

Old
Thu Dec 06, 2012, 02:53 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Your 2nd Bank Roll Builder buy-in will be awarded to you within the next 24 hours!
2nd buy-in well received within 24hrs, and unfortunately, lost within just the same delays
and basically, on just one hand

I've tried to analyse the hand myself today and I think I messed up on the turn and river...please, tell me if my conclusions are correct or not

The villain was a loose and very passive player, I've seen him limping UTG with AA, or limping UTG+1 with A8o, so I knew he could have almost anything from Aces down to A2+
On the flop, I bet 2/3 of the pot because I knew there was a lot of holdings he would pay me with, from overcards, flush draw, medium pair, he could have made top pair, and so on.
The turn was pretty scary, in the worst case scenario with holdings like AKs or AQs he could have up to 17 outs to beat me on the river (if I count them well ), so I guess my turn bet was clearly too small since I give him pot odds good enough to make a profitable call. And on the river, the raise from a passive player never smells good, so I probably should have folded and saved me a few chips there.

From here, I ended with 2 options for handling that hand :
1 - the conservative one, by checking the turn to safely see what comes next, since he is passive, there's little chance that he bets the turn himself, but I'm not sure giving him a free card is the best thing to do here...
2 - the aggressive one, by betting at least twice the pot on the turn to force him making a mistake if he decides to call. But in this case, let's say I'm going with a $1 bet, if he calls I find myself with $0.60 left in a pot of $2.40, so if he puts me all-in on the river I guess I'm doomed to call and lose all my chips anyway. Therefore, I'd be better off going all-in on the turn (logically, the only hands that have me beat at this point are A3s and pocket 5s since despite being passive, he would probably have raised my flop bet with a set or AA-QQ).
This way even if he calls me and wins the hand, at least this time, he is the one making the mistake, and if I learned my lessons well, that's what I'm looking for, right ?

So, in your opinion, what would be the best way to play that turn in the end ?
And the bonus question : what should I do if the turn card is even worse, like Ac Kc or Qc ?

Quote:
what key differences have you noticed transitioning from play money to real money in terms of player tendencies and skill edge?
Well, I didn't play a lot of hands on play money tables to make a real comparison, but I'd say the difference is quite simple : on a full-ring table, in play money you have 6 loose players for 3 tight while in real money it's 6 tight for 3 loose. And on the hands I played in play money, the preflop game was limited to 3 options : folding, limping or going all-in, there was very few standard raises

Old
Thu Dec 06, 2012, 05:42 PM
(#15)
Based on the first hand analysis that I've done in your thread, it's clear that you have absorbed the information well! Definitely like what I see!

You played the hand well on all streets. As for over betting the turn, that is not really something we wan't to do even though there are 2 flush draws present, your bet sizing was perfect on the turn, we want them to call..
On all streets this is how our hand matches up vs. villain1

pre-flop: 32% vs. 68%

flop: 17% vs. 83%

turn: 32% vs. 68%

As you can see..we are a favourite to win the hand before the river.

If the turn came we can check for pot control as now we have a flush draw and we do not wan't to be charging our self to draw.. let alone betting an getting raised by a higher made pair or flush.

There are 3 reasons why we bet in poker:
1.) Bet for value
2.) Bet as a bluff
3.) Bet to collect dead money

On the turn why where you betting? hint... exactly what range where you trying to get value from knowing that he was loose passive and you've seen their showdown range?

On the river, you are spot on.. there is a very narrow range that will be floating our flop>turn bet that contain diamonds. We can elect to check call this river depending on villain1's bet sizing, overall I think our decision should be based on how often has villain1 made it passed the turn during your session and how often have they shown aggression..

Your 3rd Bank Roll Builder buy-in will be awarded to you within the next 24 hours!

Best of luck to you at the tables!

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
(#16)
Hi there

Good news everyone : I've reached the 1000 hands played and the 10 VPPs without being totally broke (but still losing money, so it should not be long )

Here are a few hands to check :

On this one, I had no read on the villain... just wanted to know if a C-bet would have been a good idea with that flop

In this one, the villain was pretty loose and seemed relatively aggressive so I thought my Ace was probably good... wrong choice.
Should we usually be aggressive with Ace high against a loose player when the turn shows 2 pairs like here ??

On this one, I didn't know how to play it post flop, with no kicker on a connected board in a multiway pot... I was not inspired at all...
the small blind was pretty tight, villain 1 was loose passive and villain 2 loose aggressive (that was the same guy who hit trips in the previous hand, and this hand was played during the same round of table just 3 hands after the previous one). How would you have played it ??

Well, I guess that will do it for this time, thanks for any comments

Old
Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:37 AM
(#17)

Readless..This is such a dry board on the flop and it certainly doesn't hit most OOP calling ranges, when checked to we can cbet in this spot for about 1/2 pot and expect a lot of folds, if the villain decides to reverse float.. no worries.. the turn brings the perfect scare card in which we can barrel again for 1/2 pot if called just..shut down the river... If the villain does win the hand at showdown..we have now set up a bluffy "table image" at minimal cost for when we have the nuts which might entice lighter call downs from the villains in future hands.

On this double paired board vs. a loose villain, when you bet the turn, what range of hands where you trying to get value from?
This is the type of board texture that we want to take A high to showdwn. I'd cbet the flop and check back the turn for pot control...willing fully call most river bets depending on the sizing. There could be a valid debate about betting the turn for value with A high as there is a possible flush draw and straight draw present and we could maybe get some hero calls from Kx...which we are ahead of..

On that turn vs. the loose aggresive villain, I'm going to call(or raise)..I'd be getting 2 to 1 pot odds with 2 pair Queens and sevens, yes there is a possibilty that we are out kicked but...this villain is "loose" and there are certainly enough bluffs in their range (flush draw, straight draw, Kx high) for this to be a profitable call. There might even be room for check raising the turn to get value from the range mentioned above..their bet sizing looks like they do not want to get called as it was full pot

You have completed the Bank Roll Builder training!

You've came a long since the start of your poker training and if you would like to take your game to the next level here at
www.pokerschoolonline.com, I'd suggest that you start attending the Live Training Sessions >>click here<< and post regularly in the NLHE cash Game Hand Analysis forum.>>click here<<

Best of luck in your poker journey here at PSO!

Last edited by CannonLee; Fri Dec 14, 2012 at 04:47 AM..

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Best of luck in your poker journey here at PSO!
Between the live training sessions and the huge amount of videos available here, I bet the journey will be long, interesting and hopefully profitable

Thanks again for your help

Old
Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:56 AM
(#19)
Quote:

Thanks again for your help
Anytime! I'm just a PM a away and in the forums

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com