Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO open league

Old
PSO open league - Wed Nov 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
Hello. So PSO open league. We were down to about 1131 players ...

What should I have done ? shoved on the flop ? check the turn ? fold to his raise ?

Thanks.

Old
Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi unnamedone12!

The goal in the league games, especially late in the month is to accumulate as many league points as possible without taking chances with marginal hands, especially out of position.

With JTs from UTG, I'm going to muck this preflop and avoid trouble. Anyone that calls me is most likely ahead, plus I'll have to play the rest of the hand out of position without knowing whether I may be ahead or not. Especially late in the month, it's not worth the risk.
Also, one thing that I do not want to do, either in a league game or a cash game is to open limp. I'm either making a standard raise, which for this blind level for me, is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, or fold. Any hand that is not worth raising, I'm going to muck. Open limping is a very large chip leak in the long run.

I flop top two pair and this is precisely why I don't want to open-limp. Since I am in a 5-way hand, I cannot make a bet that will give all of the opps the wrong odds to draw to a straight or flush if they all stay. The best I can do is to make a pot-sized bet and hope to narrow the field. I don't want to bet more (because I'll bloat a pot where I expect to lose chips if they all stay) and I don't want to bet less because I want to try to price out the maximum number of opps that I can if they call.

I see the turn heads-up and out of position and get a card that completes some of the straight draws. I need to make a value bet here and will size it at 1/2 pot. The opp now min-raises me and since this is a league game, I'm going to muck and make sure that I last longer in the tourney to get extra league points.

The key in the hand is to muck a marginal hand out of position in a league game.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com