Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

PokerStars Blog!

Old
PokerStars Blog! - Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Hi guys

I just got a piece published on the PokerStars blog.

You can check it out here.

If you are on twitter or facebook and like it, please share, and maybe I will be able to get to write more!

Gareth

Old
Fri Nov 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Read it about 3 hours ago.
You got to be crazy to live like that...lol
$1 a night?????

Guess you have to be very adventurous...lol

Hope you had a prosperous trip

Old
Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
(#3)
1$ to make the online reservations ... usually its less than 10% of the total cost of a night's stay.

Prosperous so far, poker and otherwise.

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 01:33 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
love your story

looking forward to your next adventures

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 06:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
wo nice story and nice writing
love to her more

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
82 offsuit ... the Columbian pocket rockets

Great read Gareth - sounds like a fun trip!!

Old
Thu Dec 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
(#7)
New entry is out today! Check it out here.

Quote:
Then, having raised ace jack, I was put to another strenuous decision. I knew the squeezer was a wild old man and I thought I could profitably continue facing his forty big blind three-bet shove range. But the new player who had flat called in early position could easily have ace queen or a decent pair.

I had to look strong.

Old
Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:06 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
Another great blog Gareth, you have a real talent for writing. I listened to your interview with thinking poker and your travel plans sound amazing. I'll look forward to reading more.

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
(#9)
There is only more to come!

Old
Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
New entry is out today! Check it out here.

Quote:
Then, having raised ace jack, I was put to another strenuous decision. I knew the squeezer was a wild old man and I thought I could profitably continue facing his forty big blind three-bet shove range. But the new player who had flat called in early position could easily have ace queen or a decent pair.

I had to look strong.
AQ must have looked at you and thought he was playing Jeff Spicoli ... when it was all Sean Penn

These are such great reads Gareth ... looking forward to the next one!!

Old
Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Hey, so what city do we have to look forward to reading about next ... is it Lima?

Have to echo what everybody else has noted about your talent for writing - you have a real knack for painting such vivid pictures of your experiences. Such an amazing life you've put together for yourself, with poker and hard work.

GL GL with your grind, and looking forward to experiencing Lima through your eyes and your next piece.

Sam

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 03:14 PM
(#12)
Yes Sam

next piece is Lima and it is already written, edited, and done. But I think it won't be coming out for a few weeks, maybe even four weeks!

I think it is the best one yet. Hopefully I forget about it or the wait will kill me

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Hey, congrats on the Supernova ... it looks good!!!

(trying change the subject because you made the teaser sound so good - we have to wait a whole month?? No free previews? )

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 06:31 PM
(#14)
Hmmm I don't want to spoil too much. There are cards in the air, borders to be crossed, ...

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:07 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Hmmm I don't want to spoil too much. There are cards in the air, borders to be crossed, ...
For anybody who dreams about travelling to faraway places (yet never does), it's hard to tell if what's captivating about your pieces is the excitement of the places you're visiting, or if it's the joy you're experiencing that we get to experience second-hand through you, or if it's just a gift you have for telling a great story.

It's probably some combo of all three, so I don't know if it would have been possible to spoil things by giving out a preview because I'm pretty sure we'd all still like it

But I guess sometimes it's hard to know if we're saying too much, if it just leaves somebody hoping for more? When we're already confused to begin with?

Happy Birthday

Last edited by TrustySam; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old
Under The Gun - Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:14 PM
(#16)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Hi guys

I just got a piece published on the PokerStars blog.

You can check it out here.

Gareth
Enjoyed the 'blog' - I found the following excerpt a bit confusing...

"So when he raised to 40,000 under the gun, I just called on the button with a black ace ten."

When playing in Cartagena, Colombia, 'under the gun' may have a different meaning.

"May the cards be with you!"

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:30 PM
(#17)
lol king spadez

thanks for all your support TrustySam!

Newest entry is out today, here.

A little PG13 this month, but if you are old enough to play online poker then you're old enough to enjoy .

Last edited by royalraise85; Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 04:50 AM
(#18)
as always, very fun to read

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 05:36 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
It's funny with your other work writing these blogs that we to get to see this side of our trainer's life ...

I totally remember the time you're describing, because a bunch of us had posted questions in the forum that were piling up – we had no idea at the time that you were *busy* being heavily courted with the offer of a home, your favorite food, sex and blindfolds. Although now we do lol

Sounds like she really liked you! All that attention had to have been flattering ... but, so funny that you always hear so much about how its guys who aren't as eager to settle down and consider marriage. I guess maybe there's always one who's more eager and it's most often the female?

Is the culture maybe more traditional there? Although ... lack of knowledge of political/economic history, that's not unique to any one particular place - that seems to be common everywhere, eh? lol. Would imagine dating someone who's apolitical is probably preferable to dating someone and finding out they helped campaign to get somebody elected that you think is a total clown? Cup half full??

I don't know ... guess there's so many single people out there in the world, and dating's supposed to be fun, so maybe life's too short to have it be stressful lol. Guess we'll get to hear more about your travel/dating adventures in your next blog. Yeah, fun read ...

Old
Fri Feb 08, 2013, 04:21 PM
(#20)
Thanks Sam I am glad you found it engaging. So many questions, so I will try to answer one well.

I wouldn't say that having someone be political is important to me in terms of dating. I had dated two Peruvian women before, about my age. One didn't have any political preference and the other did, but it wasn't 'fervent' or what have you. The thing is, they both remember the time when their parents had to wait in line for hours to buy food, when their currency went through the roof, when there was a threat of terrorism, bombings, and so on.

I have met a lot of Peruvians and I don't know anyone who was alive during that time who didn't experience the gravity of the situation. It is hard to be apolitical in a country like that where politics can invade your life! It is much easier in Canada where being apolitical is an option. Somehow this one had managed to pass all that by. That doesn't make her a bad person, but it did give me a clue, that was later verified, that maybe she wasn't as much of an adult as I was used to talking to over dinner.

I hope that makes sense. The piece is a bit more curt for various reasons.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com