Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Dec 01, 2012, 02:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi. I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 06:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsig View Post
Hi. I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?
Hi,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Maxsig,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
(#4)
I've attended 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training session with horror77 today at 14:00 ET.

Could you please tell me what I have to do next?

Last edited by Maxsig; Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 06:27 PM
(#5)

Can you help me with this hand? I was playing a tournament and this was one of the first hands. I thought that pair of Jacks is a strong hand to start with but not strong enough to reraise to a guy from EP3 who bet 4BB so i just called to see what comes out. The flop didn't seem very loaded and i just felt that he would act with K only. I decided to bet around 1/2 of the bank to see his answer and i folded as he raised. Now i feel like i t was pretty stupid thing to do as i was first to act... What can you say about it?

Old
Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:11 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Maxsig!

I'll gladly help you with the hand, but this will not help you with the bankroll builder promotion. The steps for this promotion need to be followed specifically or you could make yourself ineligible for future buy-ins from it.
Please play the play money FULL RING tables and post a hand that you had problems with. These are the only tables that are to be played for this promotion and playing any other type of cash table or cash tourney WILL make you ineligible.

I'll assume that this is from a skill league game, which will have a totally different strategy from a cash tourney or especially a cash table.

Early in a league game, I need to be extremely cautious and never be all-in unless I know that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. The amount of chips that I could gain will NEVER be worth more than the league points that I will lose for an early exit.

When a mid position player makes an abnormally large raise (a standard raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper) and it folds back to me in the SB, I'm mucking here. The only hands that I want to play out of position and 3-bet with this early in a league game are QQ, KK, AA (and I could easily fold QQ or KK here if the opp is playing tight). Anything less, I'm going to muck and look for a better spot when I know that I'll be in position or have a premium hand.

If I was in the hand, when the flop has a pair and an overcard, I'm going to check/fold. I do not want to take a chance with a hand that may not be ahead.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 06, 2012, 02:31 AM
(#7)
Thanks a lot for your analisis I really get confused when i have to decide on how to play in tournaments because it is so different from other games...
I have a new hand to show. I m not sure about it because i think that i shouldnt have even entered it. The thing is that i saw those opponents entering big pots with cards like 9Jo and even worse so i thought that my cards wouldnt be that bad. At the flop i thought that it would be good to check to see what people do. As they also checked i thought that my top pair with 9 kicker wouldnt be that bad and decided to raise. As a result the guy had 2 pairs and slow played them. Are there any suggestions that would help me to lose less money in the future in such situations?

Old
New hand - Fri Dec 07, 2012, 01:33 PM
(#8)
Hi, I posted a new hand for review. Can you have a look at it? Thanks.

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 06:35 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Maxsig!

UTG raises from 10 to 113, then the button shoves by raising to 601. With ATo, I'm going to muck this hand preflop, as I do not want to play a marginal hand that could easily be behind when I'm out of position.

The flop gives me top pair and since I'm out of position, I will make a 1/2 pot lead bet here. I need to try to find out information about the opp's hand and to get value for my ace. If the opp raises me, then I'm most likely beat and I will muck my hand. By checking, if the opp bets, I have no clue whether I have the best hand or not, so I won't know whether or not to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 06:39 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Maxsig!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 11:20 PM
(#11)
Hi! I have passed the basic assessment quiz and I am ready to receive my first buy-in Does it matter with what stake I enter the tables(40BB, 100BB, etc)?

Old
Sat Dec 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Maxsig!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen. It's always best to buy-into a table with the maximum that you can. That way, you can get paid more for your monster hands.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

When you've done all this we will move you onto the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 08, 2012, 05:36 PM
(#13)
Thanks, I received the 2$. Now, can you look at this hand plz?

The opp who called me was new to the table and I didn't know what his style was. After flop I decided to make a small bet for info but he just called, which seemed strange to me because the table wasn't wet. I decided to make small bet once again on turn and he just called once again. I got second pair on river and decided to make med size bet, which he called and I won the hand. But the thing is that he had AKo and was just value calling me from what I can see. I feel like I got a little lucky here, so can you tell me whether I played this hand well?

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Thanks, I received the 2$. Now, can you look at this hand plz?

The opp who called me was new to the table and I didn't know what his style was. After flop I decided to make a small bet for info but he just called, which seemed strange to me because the table wasn't wet. I decided to make small bet once again on turn and he just called once again. I got second pair on river and decided to make med size bet, which he called and I won the hand. But the thing is that he had AKo and was just value calling me from what I can see. I feel like I got a little lucky here, so can you tell me whether I played this hand well?
Hi Maxsig

Nice pot!

You played this hand fine, however, there are a few points worth noting. Firstly, I actually fold A10o from the first three positions. It gets easily dominated by opponents with Ax and a better kicker. This hand is playable, but I tend to be quite cautous preflop. If you are going to play the hand, then opening with a standard 3x raise as you did is just right.

You flopped top pair against only 1 opponent. This looks like a good spot for a c-bet. Your bet size was fine, but you could have gone to 7 or 8 as well. When you get called we need to adjust the villain's range. It look like he may have a medium pocket pair or Ax.

Betting the turn looks good. And you get top two pair on the river. Take a look at the river. There are several hands that beat us. A straight with 79 is possible, but seems very unlikely. A flush is possible as well as trips and a full house. We are beating any most pocket pairs and all Ax hands that didn't improve. I like betting on the river for value. I would recommend betting smaller though. Firstly, we want all the hands we are beating to call our bet. Secondly, the villain's stack is so short a smaller bet might get him to reraise all in with a second best hand. Finally, in unclear river situations like this we want to be careful not to bet so much that only the hands that are beating us will call while all the hands we are beating will fold. Your bet was ok, but verging on being too large.

Finally, look at how the villain played this hand. His play is an excellent example of why passive play is bad and why we never want to slowplay top pair top kicker hands. Had he reraised preflop or on the turn, you should have folded. You took advantage of his mistakes and won a nice hand.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Maxsig!

Please let us know how you're doing with the buy-in.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:50 AM
(#16)
Hi, I have 6.24$ on my account right now I've been trying to play quite tight and agressive and wanted to make sure to minimize my losses in many cases. This is the biggest pot that I've lost till now:

I was trying to win the pot after the flop was dealt with a small bet or at least to get value there because as the guy just checked. But as he re-raised me I thought that he had pair of aces with smaller kicker than mine such as AJ+. On the turn I was tying to win the pot with medium size bet but he went all-in and I saw pocket jacks. It was a little bit unexpected because he was playing quite passive on the pre-flop and because of his checks on flop and turn. Did I make a serious mistake here? Thanks in advance.

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Hi, I have 6.24$ on my account right now I've been trying to play quite tight and agressive and wanted to make sure to minimize my losses in many cases. This is the biggest pot that I've lost till now:

I was trying to win the pot after the flop was dealt with a small bet or at least to get value there because as the guy just checked. But as he re-raised me I thought that he had pair of aces with smaller kicker than mine such as AJ+. On the turn I was tying to win the pot with medium size bet but he went all-in and I saw pocket jacks. It was a little bit unexpected because he was playing quite passive on the pre-flop and because of his checks on flop and turn. Did I make a serious mistake here? Thanks in advance.
Hi maxsig

I am very happy to hear you are doing so well. Great work

In this hand a read on the villain would help. Some players never call 3bets whereas others do it with weak hands. Since we don't have a read let's just assume he actually has what his betting represents.

Preflop, the villain minraises from midposition and you 3-bet with AK - perfect! When he flat calls I would assume he has a pocket pair or A10+.

You flop top pair top kicker, but look at the board: AJQ. He could have two pair, a set or possibly even a straight. I like your c-bet and the sizing was good. When he check-raises you, we have to assume he has a strong hand. I would recommend calling his reraise and reassessing on the turn. Any 10 would give us a straight. Any K would give us two pair which would beat him if he has two pair with AJ or AQ. Having top pair top kicker on this board is not a good spot to 3-bet him. There are not many hands that he could have that we are beating. When he calls your 3-bet we need to accept that we are in trouble and just check fold the remaining streets.

Leading out with a large bet on the turn was not good here. Remember, AK is a very strong starting hand, but we always need to reassess post flop and the action we are getting. I don't like to get all in with "just a pair" and I am deep stacked. Your hand is good, but not good enough to risk your stack on in this spot.

Keep at it you seem to be on the right track

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
(#18)
Hi, look at this hand:

I decided to slow play my pocket aces because I was almost sure that the opp would have folded at my raise. So i was trying to get some extra money out of the guy. I know it is not the best idea but against one opp at BB i thought it might work. The flop was a quite wet but as the opp made pot size bet i thought that he could have a jack as if he had a flush draw or straight draw it wouldnt be profitable looking at the odds. The turn was A so i got set of aces and it seemed like a made hand to me and I felt safe. I couldn't expect 23o that he had and I re-raised as I thought that he was waiting for a flush or just had top pair. So, was this straight possible to read or did he just get lucky? I lost a lot of money but I guess it can be a good lesson not to slow play with a monster on preflop anymore.

Old
Tue Dec 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Hi, look at this hand:

I decided to slow play my pocket aces because I was almost sure that the opp would have folded at my raise. So i was trying to get some extra money out of the guy. I know it is not the best idea but against one opp at BB i thought it might work. The flop was a quite wet but as the opp made pot size bet i thought that he could have a jack as if he had a flush draw or straight draw it wouldnt be profitable looking at the odds. The turn was A so i got set of aces and it seemed like a made hand to me and I felt safe. I couldn't expect 23o that he had and I re-raised as I thought that he was waiting for a flush or just had top pair. So, was this straight possible to read or did he just get lucky? I lost a lot of money but I guess it can be a good lesson not to slow play with a monster on preflop anymore.
Hi Maxsig

Oh boy, this hand didn't go as planned! Remember this hand in the future. Slowplaying is rarely a good idea

Slowplaying is bad several reasons. Firstly, we never want to give an opponent a free chance to out draw us. Yes, we have AA, which is the best starting hand, but "it is only a pair!" Secondly, we want to get maximum value out of our premium hands. Raising preflop lets us build the pot making all bets on later streets significantly larger. Build the pot early with strong hands. It makes you more money!

As played, preflop I would have preferred to see a raise. Slowplaying again on the flop just makes matters worse for the reasons mentioned above. We definately want to bet or check-raise the flop, especially since it is fairly drawy.

Getting 3-bet on the turn really looks like the villain has a strong hand. But your set seems to be ahead of everything but 23. You also still have 10 outs giving you a full house or quads on the river. I would probably have 4 bet here.

On the river, I would not have bet as much as you did. I would have bet about half the pot and hoped the villain reraised me. It was a huge cooler that he actually had 23 in this spot. However, this is not a bad beat. This situation could have easily been avoided by not slowplaying the early streets.

Keep at it

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Dec 12, 2012, 03:09 AM
(#20)
Hi, I have around 18$ right now but I have had a couple of big losses lately. Please, have a look at this hand. Was it ok what I did?

I thought that preflop the opp was trying to make a steal so I 3-bet him. When he called I thoguht that he could have something like AQ+ but I wasn't expecting pocket pair at all When he made small bey after flop i thought it was a c-bet as he missed the flop and wanted to continue agression. So i re-raised to 3 times his initial bet hoping that he would fold but also to protect my hand against overcards and possible flush draw. He made a strange sized 3-bet so I decided that calling would be too bad and I went all-in. Can you tell me if I should change something in my play here or is it just that pocket pairs are so hard to read and I should just forget about this hand?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com