Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL Zoom River Shove

Old
10NL Zoom River Shove - Sat Dec 01, 2012, 05:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
No read on Villain except he's Russian lol

I was going for the steal thus the loose open. Think my turn cbet could have been larger.

Was the line I took alright, cbet 3 streets, river bet-fold? His shove screams he hit backdoor flush. 97 wouldn't have made it to river. But was it possible he slowplayed a set and jammed on the river?

Last edited by TheAwesomeNW; Sat Dec 01, 2012 at 05:49 AM..

Old
Sat Dec 01, 2012, 11:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi TANW,

This is a strange one for sure. It sure looks like he made a flush, and that's not impossible, he could have hands like A2-A5c that would peel the flop or 54c. However a lot of his flop calling range is going to be made hands like sets that are slowplaying or Jx, and he may well be shoving a hand like JT or J8 for value. Our hand is basically above our range, he can't realize we're this strong.

On balance it's probably pretty close. We have to be right about 47% of the time here and as I see it he can shove enough worse hands that we certainly could be over this mark.

The turn is more interesting to me... I don't think we should be firing a 2nd bullet. When he calls on such a dry flop his entire range is beating us (except for 54), and he's just not folding most of it on the turn, so we're basically charging ourselves to draw. I think check/call might be a better line here, or bet a bit smaller to set a nice price for ourselves although we may well have to fold to a raise depending on how big he makes it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 02, 2012, 12:07 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks Dave. Yea I was also thinking about him shoving maybe with a set, lower straight, or 2 pairs, because he didn't realise our hand strength.

Btw do you have a way to calculate villain's equity with flush draw? Maybe through Pokerstove? Like in this case, backdoor flush draw.

Old
Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
Btw do you have a way to calculate villain's equity with flush draw? Maybe through Pokerstove? Like in this case, backdoor flush draw.
Sure, just plug a back door flush draw into PS. It's not going to help a lot here since you have to assign a range of hands on the flop, but knock yourself out. You could see the effect of a back door flush draw by assigned the villain a specific hand on the flop that does not have the back door draw, then changing the suits to give them a back door draw and see how the equity improves from having that.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com