Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL Zoom River Action

Old
25NL Zoom River Action - Mon Dec 03, 2012, 11:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Not much info on Villain 1, 20/13 over 15 hands.

Board is very coordinated, when Villain shoves on river, indicates strength. Was putting him at least on an overpair like TT or JJ. If he had turned a straight with 86, think he would have raised on the turn. Don't think he would have went to river with A4 or 64. But it is also contradicting as I think he would have raised at some point with a set or 2 pairs, not until the river.

I put in Pokerstove Villain's range as JJ-TT,77,55,22,97s,86s,97o,86o. I don't understand why we're only 60% favourite to win this hand despite being top set

I bet on the river, hoping to get it all in for maximal value from any overpairs, 2 pairs or lower sets. Is it the right move?

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 07:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey Awesome

This was an interesting spot. So, I thought I would give you my two cents

It looks to me like the villain may very well have flopped the nut flush and simply slowplayed it to the river. Axs with a weakish kicker would fit his pf line. People doing the betting for him on every street while he has the nuts would explain his apparently passive play up to the river.

At FR I would have been more careful and tried to see the showdown without investing much more on the river rather than hoping to get it all in.

Good luck at 25NL!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 07:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
I dont like your flopraise for two reasons - it is a multiway pot so relative hand strength needs to be better for a raise and the boardtexture can have you severely crushed. You are escalating the pot when you could potentially be drawing slim/dead. I would xc flop for the cheap price you are given and go from there.

As played I would jam the river for value myself, or maybe even xc and let him bluff his busted spades. Getting jammed on this river feels like he will have you beat quite often here, but you cant really fold for that small of a rest.

Live Trainer

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:30 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I agree with Roland, his line looks a lot like the nut flush which peeps love to slow play... and in your range assessment you're not even considering flushes as a possibility? Why not? Even non-nut flushes are possible here.

Also agree 100% with Flix on the flop check-raise, our hand is relatively weak. Check-call is ok and probably have to check-fold the turn to any appreciable action (normally, not when we turn top set obv).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 08:41 PM
(#5)
Thanks all for your analysis When Villain 4 cbets so small, it felt like he could be having a flush draw, and Villain 1 tags along, perhaps for a draw too. If they had an overpair or TPTK, I think they would have bet bigger to protect their hand. So if we do not raise the small flop cbet, wouldn't we be letting them draw cheap?

Yup you were all right, he held As8s, flopped nut flush and slowplayed it nicely.

Old
Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:00 AM
(#6)
(Live Trainer)
The problem is on such a board texture value isnt really the main concern with medium strength made hands since all hands that call a raise will probably be at even equity against your hand - and thats already the best case scenario. Therefore I would try to keep the pot small and decide on turn/river cards how to proceed.

Live Trainer

Old
Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:35 AM
(#7)
(Live Trainer)
Evaluated.

Live Trainer

Old
Thu Dec 06, 2012, 05:18 AM
(#8)
Ok thanks understood

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com