Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.10 MTT Exit Hand 5

Old
$1.10 MTT Exit Hand 5 - Tue Dec 04, 2012, 09:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
Same cards, different situation, same outcome.

I had been short earlier in this tournament until I doubled up+ my stack with pocket aces to get back above the 10BB level, a stack of about 4,700 at the 250BB.

But with no cards, and facing lots of action, the big blinds raising to 300 and now 400 I had got very short again.

I have AQo in the small blind but I am not happy about the raise ahead as they had been both tight and passive, though I did not have many hands on them. They were playing less than 10% of hands and I had not seen them make a preflop raise yet so this fairly standard 2.5x raise for 20% of their stack could be very strong, but I can't be sure. I may have a little fold equity as the extra 1795 I have to shove is a large part of their remaining stack, so although they will have a good price I suppose they might fold medium pairs, but I expect a call often.

I felt my hand was too strong to fold given my stack size below 10BB and although I don't have any stats for their 'fold to 3-bet preflop %' I just got it in.

With predictably familiar results.

Any thoughts welcome.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 02:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Ed,

Yes, in this situation, this short I would probably be looking to get it allin with AQo.

With the blinds and antes we need more than 43% equity.

Vs a shove I think absolutely we would be getting this price.

Vs the 2.5x raise from a 10BB stack. It depends how we think it affects his range. From a guy that has been making alot of 10BB shoves it makes it stronger and we might get away here. Vs a guy thats been 2.5x'ing all the time obviously we can treat it the same as a shove and actually add in some fold equity as you say.

Without seeing him open already, my default read on a tight passive player at $1.10 level would be that they won't be a 10BB shover so I think a 3bet shove is good.

I don't think there's enough evidence to say this guy range consists of KK+. He just happened to have it this time.

Cheers
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 04, 2012, 02:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
Thanks Andy,

With more hands I might have had better reads - I had a feeling that they could easily have something like KK/AA as they had been so passive for the 3 orbits or so we were at the same table, but I had to put their range wider than AA/KK/AK and felt I had to go with this hand.

Cheers

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com