Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE: J2 flopped 422 Blind: 150/300 Betting amount question

Old
NLHE: J2 flopped 422 Blind: 150/300 Betting amount question - Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
I wish to know how I could have maximized the return on the hand. Did I do the right move? Did I underbet?

Old
Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:58 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate section since this is a tourney hand JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
(#3)
Hi x_BigDru_x. Welcome to the forum. John moved your post to the hand analysis forum to make sure it got a response. Make sure youcheck the hand analysis requested box so that the computer puts it on the to do list for somebody. There is an overview of the site here that will help you find all the features.

I have never found a really satisfactory answer to your question. Betting a three rag flop when you have gotten a walk in the big blind often causes everybody to fold because they have not connected with the flop at all. So when I flop a very strong hand, I usually check and hope they have an overpair and bet or that the turn hits them. With two spades on the flop and three limpers however, I would bet about half the pot and hope somebody would call me with a spade draw.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:21 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi x_BigDru_x!

With J2o, I'm more than happy to see a flop for free from the big blind. Obviously with a bad hand, I'd never call a raise from any position preflop with it.

I flop trip 2's, but there are three opps, a possible flush draw and a possible straight draw. I'm going to make a lead bet here to protect my hand and to price out all of the opps if they want to stay to try to outdraw me, as I most likely have the best hand. To price them all out, I need to and will make a pot-sized bet here of 1575.

I don't want to overbet the flop here, as if I do, I'll fold out all the worse hands and only get called by better (most likely 44 or A2). I also don't want to bet less, as if I do and they all call, then anyone drawing to a flush or straight will be getting the correct odds to draw to beat me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com