Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl Zoom - 88, flopped set multiway. To raise or not to raise?

Old
5nl Zoom - 88, flopped set multiway. To raise or not to raise? - Thu Dec 06, 2012, 03:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I have very few hands on either player, however the initial raiser was 4 tabling and was fairly deep so I assumed he was a reg.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Pre flop I think is an easy call due to the great implied odds i'm getting; the SB comes along as well and I flop a set.

The SB checks and the initial raiser fires out a pretty good sized cbet; I think I have the best hand here nearly always so I decided to raise. I think I definately made it too big here, I give away my hand strength with a bet this big and allow a competent player to fold TP too easily.

Is this a good spot to be raising or would I be better flatting? Also if raising is the best option then what is a prefereable size, i'm thinking something around 90c?

As a side note, if this pot was not multiway (the SB wasn't involved) would raising still be good?

I think playing my hands too fast and betting too big is costing me a lot of value since I moved up to 5nl, as the players don't pay off like they do at 2nl.

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Oliver

I don't mind raising the flop, and I think your size is ok. If a smaller size is better, not too much smaller please! Something like 1.10 I think is the smallest you should raise.

The initial raiser, no matter how good he is for a 5nl player, is going to have a tough time getting away from AK, AQ, A8 or the nut flush draw or a combination draw.

As you improve, you should become more comfortable flat calling here, because as you say, having the third player come a long has a lot of value, and this value added is going to be greater than the possibility of being drawn out on when the turn comes.

What that is going to require is doing things like potentially folding a set on the river when the runout isn't in our favour and being fine with it. Especially the run outs is when a one-card broadway straight is going to come, not necessarily the three-flush.

So I think raising to stack off here is fine, but an even higher EV line might be to call here looking to put the money in on good turn cards and call on other ones.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com