Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1 Poker School Qualifier Was I too Agressive?

Old
$1 Poker School Qualifier Was I too Agressive? - Thu Dec 06, 2012, 04:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012

Was I right to shove All-In and lose my stack?

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 12:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi feebee,

I think this is a fold preflop tbh. I don't mind opening with AQ, but V5's min-3b is a problem... this action is a weaker player tell of a big hand (unless they are very loose-aggressive, you didn't give reads). So I'd be concerned about KK or AA here. V7 may be shoving wide with such a short stack, but it's V5 that's the real concern. We can't call V7 as V5 could raise again and put us all in, and if we shove we are not folding out QQ+ and AK and I think V5 is likely to be very strong in this spot, so given the action behind us I think begrudgingly we should let AQo go here and preserve a 24bb stack.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Re-opening the betting - Fri Dec 07, 2012, 05:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
We can't call V7 as V5 could raise again and put us all in...
Dave makes a great point, and one that is often easily overlooked. The short stack (V7), when he shoves, re-opens the betting for V5. This raise sizing by V5 is actually very sophisticated if he was thinking one step ahead. If he had 3-bet to 550 instead of 500, 770 is the maximum it would have cost hero to see the flop.
-------------------------------------------
Hero raised to 300, V5 made it 500 to go. V7 needs at least 700 to re-open the betting.
(V5´s 500 + (the difference between hero´s 300 and V5´s 500))
(V5´s 500 + 200)
(700)

If V5 had made it 550, V7 needs at least 800 to re-open the betting.
(V5´s 550 + (the difference between hero´s 300 and V5´s 550))
(V5´s 550 + 250)
(800)

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 09:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Right on deadmoney, that's a very nice observation that this sizing could be a deliberate attempt to ensure the betting is reopened should V7 shove. If V5 were a strong player it would look very much like this was the case as I would ask myself why would a strong player take this type of unexpected action and that is the most logical conclusion. Not sure that's the case here, if I had to guess I'd say odds are against it, but we don't know of course. Also I think V5 has to feel there's a reasonable chance V7 will stick his stack in after all this strength, another thing we don't know (V7 tilting? Just took a huge beat? Super loose caller?).

Totally agree though, that would be a nice level of thought by V5 that many players in microstakes games miss or aren't even aware of.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com