Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hot $0.55 Turbo - Setmining with Jacks

Old
Hot $0.55 Turbo - Setmining with Jacks - Thu Dec 06, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Had this hand fairly early on.

Only had a read on villain_3, who seemed quite weak - the kind of player who saw a lot of flops, but then quickly got away from them if he didn't match up.

I took a tip I learned yesterday from this forum and decided to set-mine with my Jacks, as I was worried about that raise and call. Was this the right play, or should I have attempted a squeeze-play?

Old
Thu Dec 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Christxof,

This is a pretty different situation to the JJ hand from yesterday I think.
Yesterdays hand we were facing a 6x min 3bet, 100BBs deep and with lots of other cally players in the pot already.

This situation it's only a raise and a call which are weaker ranges than a 3bet. And we are only 38BBs deep.

So I mentioned last time we'd like 15x the size of the raise to setmine profitably. With the raise being 300 we would need 4500 in our stack to purely set mine here which we don't have.

However vs only a raise and a call we are ahead of both these ranges already and with a significant 9BBs out there already we should be happy to commit here. A squeeze play is best. 38BBs is quite alot to shove since people can't call too weak. But the raise is a full 3x and we have a caller already so a 3bet would normally be to about 1200 chips which is 1/3rd of our stack. I think in this instance just a ship over the top is best.

Otherwise it's 3bet to 1200 and ship the flop no matter what if they check. But in a turbo I think I like the shove preflop best since everyone will be playing a little looser anyway.

Good Luck
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com