Sheer luck?

Old
Question
Sheer luck? - Fri Dec 07, 2012, 03:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hello

So, in the Daily Games, one of the play-money table, I had this:

My feel is that I was simply lucky. Should I have seen his hand and folded? What would you do?

Thank you
Az

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 05:02 PM
(#3)
The other guy slowplayed aces and gave you a free chance to draw out on him and then paid for it. How could you think you played this badly?

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 05:13 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Az,

Nice to see you back in the Daily Game again today.

Preflop call is ok, there's enough money behind to set mine profitably I think. Post flop the only thing I would change is the turn action, when you bet 70 and he min-raises you to 140, with the stack size you have left behind I think you should just shove right there. Min-reraising to 210 will often let him off the hook as an overpair to the board (which seems likely when he min-raises you) can catch on to what's happening and just call, thus not doubling you up completely. If you just shove the rest he's calling it off though and you double for sure, so that's the line I'd take. Hope that makes sense.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 11:08 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Az,

Nice to see you back in the Daily Game again today.

Preflop call is ok, there's enough money behind to set mine profitably I think. Post flop the only thing I would change is the turn action, when you bet 70 and he min-raises you to 140, with the stack size you have left behind I think you should just shove right there. Min-reraising to 210 will often let him off the hook as an overpair to the board (which seems likely when he min-raises you) can catch on to what's happening and just call, thus not doubling you up completely. If you just shove the rest he's calling it off though and you double for sure, so that's the line I'd take. Hope that makes sense.
Why is it okay to call UTG1 4BB raise pre-flop with pocket pair of 8s? I thought that this would normally be a fold. Thanks.

Old
Fri Dec 07, 2012, 11:12 PM
(#6)
I just felt I should have seen the AA coming. If I had, I would have probably folded. I guess this teaches me what happens if I let someone see just 2 more cards easily...

Thank you very much for the insight! I think when I saw the river I was caught up in not making him fold, trying to milk the cow, I guess.

Az

Old
Sat Dec 08, 2012, 07:03 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsig View Post
Why is it okay to call UTG1 4BB raise pre-flop with pocket pair of 8s? I thought that this would normally be a fold. Thanks.
It's called set minning and it's rather profitable at microstakes. You can call a raise with PP's in the hopes of hitting a set and being paid off big. You would want both you and your opponent to have at least 20 times (Can be as low as 15if you know someone will shove or see showdown with things like a,k, T,T+ but 20x is the safer rule) the raise left in their stack before you call otherwise you aren't likely to be winning enough to make it profitable in the long run. If you miss the flop then just check fold or check behind if you get the chance.

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsig View Post
Yes, basically it should be profitable to set mine here (calling strictly to flop a set). We have to call 30 and I'd like to have about 15-1 implied odds to try and flop an 8... we need to win on average $450 to make the 15-1, and I think that's a reasonable expectation here. We have 55 in the pot now with $530 behind after the call so there's a max of 19-1 to be had, and we have a villain who has opened UTG so we expect a stronger range, which means a fair bit more strong 1 pair hands post flop, which means I think the will provide stack action for our stack size fairly often.

It's absolutely not always profitable or correct to call with small and medium pairs, but in this case I believe that it is.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com