Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

A bridge too far

Old
A bridge too far - Sat Dec 08, 2012, 06:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
Hi there! Would love to start the Bankroll Builder promotion.

So far, I have registered to the PokerStars website and then to the PokerSchool.

I have read the basic lessons up to "after the flop" and played a few play money hands. I noticed that the access rights on the second lesson were wrong and wrote the PokersSchool support team. I got an excellent and fast response - the agreed with my suggestions and have already fixed access policy.

This is my first post and am obviously keen to find out what happens next.

PS: the title of the thread comes from me experimenting with another card game, bridge, a few years ago

Old
Sat Dec 08, 2012, 07:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether your account is eligible for this promotion.
While you are waiting, here is a link that will help to get you more familiar with the options that PSO has to offer.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 08, 2012, 10:49 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:51 AM
(#4)
John,
Great news! Thank you.
I looked at the life training schedule for the next few days and could not find anything called like "getting started with pokerstars". Am I looking at the wrong place? Or should I simply go for tomorrow's "1on1" training session?
As for the forum, is there an easy way to find my own thread? Or is it a matter of looking each time through the list and finding one's own threat. Never used forums before.
xeorg

Last edited by xeorg; Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 07:56 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 09:42 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

For now, only the "Getting Started with PokerStars" training will count. Other sessions will not. Today's has already happened and the schedule will be updated later today to include the next few days of this session. Once per week, the session runs earlier, to help the Asian time zones.

You have three ways to get to the thread. Either to clock on the Bankroll Builder section and go down the list (how I do them) or you can subscribe to the thread from the GoTo tab, then settings (to turn subscriptions on) then subscribe to the thread, or you can take the webpage address and save it to your favorites menu.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
(#6)
Hi John!

Thank you for pointing out the new "getting started" live sessions. I managed to participate in one today.

Read the rest of the basic course and tried the test. Very disappointed to admit that I failed with only 50%.

Played just now one of this play money games. I seem to get easily into the last 3 as there are many all-in shoot outs that reduces the field. At the one-to-one stage I get always killed. Tried it a bit more aggressively right now, but to no avail.

Here is the hand that knocked me out. Entering the bidding was obviously marginal, but I noticed that it can get a bit boring if both sides keep folding at that stage. I would very much appreciate your take on it.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I will re-read the basic course and then try the test again.

Anything else I should be doing?

xeorg

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:56 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

Please, do not do anything until you are instructed to do so in theis thread. Doing things not at the correct time can cause you to have to redo them.

Also, you need to be playing the full ring cash tables, NOT a tournament, as these are the only tables that are allowed to be used for any of the buy-ins that a member will earn throughout this promotion. If you play a tournament, you will disqualify yourself from further buy-ins.

With 7T in a HU situation, I would check preflop, as it is not a good hand. I hit top pair on the flop and I would bet 1/2 the size of the pot for value. Betting 9X the size of the pot will only make the worse hands than mine fold, and have the hands that have me be beat get called. If the opp raises my bet of 50 on the flop, I'm most likely beat and folding.

Please play the play money FULL ring tables and post a hand that you had a question on while playing.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Ring games - Tue Dec 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
(#8)
John,
OK,will do so.
By the way, unless I missed it, the term ring games was not explained in the basic course material. So I did not really appreciate the subtleties of the term "play money NL ring games" Googled it and know now that it is equivalent to CASH games. Will try my luck there.
xeorg

Old
Wed Dec 12, 2012, 12:38 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

Yes, this promotion is only for cash games.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
(#10)
Hi John!
Tried the play money cash game. Went for the lowest value blinds. Why are there different value games, given that it is all play money? I guess there is a good reason but it is unclear to me.

Here is a hand I played this evening:

After the flop, I checked twice. I was not confident that I had the best hand at that stage and did not dare to bet more. But in the course all was about folding or raising. What would you have done?

xeorg

Old
Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

With KQs or any hand, I want to make a standard open-raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With no limpers, I'll raise to 6.
There are 2 calls, then a raise to 32 (an abnormally large raise, as a standard re-raise is to 3X the previous bet) and a call of the 32. With a large raise and a call, while KQs is a good hand, I'm going to muck here, as I'm most likely not ahead. I want to be betting when I'm ahead, not behind.

I flop top two pair and when it's checked to me, I want to make a pot-sized value bet, but this is more than my stack, so I'm shoving the flop. Unfortunately, anyone with a flush draw will get the correct odds to draw to beat me.

One thing that I would recommend is to buy-in for the maximum that you can, as this will help to make the hands easier to play and I can take advantage of my better hands. Also, the reason for the different play money buy-ins is to duplicate the cash tables. There are cash tables of many, many values and there are play money tables of different buy-ins too.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
(#13)
Hi John,

Reading through the basic course - this time with attention. Below is paragraph 3 of the lesson on the rule of 2 and 4.

"After a flop has been dealt, count your outs, then multiply that number by four to determine the percentage of making your hand on the turn, or two, to determine your chance of making it by the river."

Isn't that the wrong way round?

xeorg

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
(#14)
John,
Ok, finished reading through the basic course and also took the assessment test. Passed this time.
xeorg

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

Each out is worth 2% equity per out per street. If you're going to the turn, you may see the turn AND river, so there are 2 streets of value, so each out is worth 4% equity. If you're at the turn, you only have the river left, so each out is worth 2%.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xeorg!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
(#17)
John,
Many thanks for the credit.
As for the outs, I feel comfortable with the maths and the underlying principle.
It is just that particular sentence: it seems to describe the odds when you are post-flop and wanting to know the chances of making the hand on the turn or on the river.
No problem - I am happy with the concept even if that particular sentence appears to be upside down to me.
No worries, I will proceed with the next steps as per your guidance.
xeorg

Old
Mon Dec 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
(#18)
Hi John,

Just listened to Bet Sizing with HoRRoR77.

Started also playing the 1/2 cent real money games. What a difference to the play money tables!! Now half of the players fold. On the play money tables it was a frequent all-in by several players. Managed to double the $2 - hope I can hang on to it another day or so.

xeorg

Old
Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:28 PM
(#19)
Well, well, the money is going fast. Not so good.

Here is a hand the was costly:

I know that I should have bet higher on the very first round. But it so a couple of hands before and everyone keeps folding. Hence I thought that I had to play slow to get a few into the pot.

Thereafter I tried to play with conviction, but it did not work out.

There as another hand, but I use a separate email for that.

xeorg

Old
Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
(#20)
Here is the second hand:

I was comfortable until the betting after the turn. When villain_2 puts a lot into the pot, I visualised him having a higher set. Should I have retreated at that point?

xeorg

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com