Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Do you think ahead?

Old
Do you think ahead? - Sun Dec 09, 2012, 06:09 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Say you hold ATo in middle/ late position , a nice hand but something that doesn't bear well to a raise or re-raise.

Do you think ahead?

As soon as I see my hand the permutations are working. If I raise here and loose aggressive player behind me re-raises, do I call/ raise/ fold? If a tight passive player in front of me calls what will I do?

Anyone like me?

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 06:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
I would say profitable players will say of course to this Oval and everyone else is who we want to see on our tables.

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 06:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
When ever i play a hand i always formulate a "what if plan in my mind, it doesnt always work out, but at least i have a clear idea in my head,

In fact i seem to recall one of the PS pro's in a live training session saying how important having a plan was.

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
"Failing to plan is planning to fail." -- Too lazy to look up an attribution

Good decisions.

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 08:05 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Well, browsing the forum and promised myself I would not post but feel like I need to share a few thoughts on this.

In poker we should always have a plan, plan ahead and think about the situation that faces us.

It becomes automatic like nature to know what position you are in and your opps at the table.

And you know automatically the decision to fold or the decision to bet.

You all ready know that Ace Ten mid position is a dodgey hand so its probably simpler to muck.

If I raise, and a loose player raises, im probably putting him all in.

IF a tight passive calls before me, I think I would muck as there is action to follow.

Saying this though, situation counts also.

Bubble position etc, stack sizes and so on, its all apart of the thinking.

If i raise is the opp likely to jam and so on.

Its all a part of the thinking...

but there is always the expression....

if in doubt...

just dont bother.

Old
Sun Dec 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Automatic responses are just plain wrong - you've maybe heard the expression "It depends"?? A plan is fine, but it needs to be flexible, depending on what your opponents do, what cards hit the flop, etc.

Playing in auto pilot is a recipe for disaster, you need to be constantly re-evaluating your plan and updating it as needed.

Nothing wrong with having a plan, but it should be flexible.

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
Automatic responses are just plain wrong - you've maybe heard the expression "It depends"?? A plan is fine, but it needs to be flexible, depending on what your opponents do, what cards hit the flop, etc.

Playing in auto pilot is a recipe for disaster, you need to be constantly re-evaluating your plan and updating it as needed.

Nothing wrong with having a plan, but it should be flexible.

+1

May the tinfoil protect you. MT

Old
Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:20 PM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Say you hold ATo in middle/ late position , a nice hand but something that doesn't bear well to a raise or re-raise.

Do you think ahead?

As soon as I see my hand the permutations are working. If I raise here and loose aggressive player behind me re-raises, do I call/ raise/ fold? If a tight passive player in front of me calls what will I do?

Anyone like me?
Yeah i am always thinking ahead with trap hands like ATo. I am only getting it in with a raise and if I do, I want to know that I am not going to be pushed over because for that hand I can't stand more than a small re-raise.

Thats why I prefer to play ATo from the button so that the risk of getting it repopped is minimal

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
I have a plan for the hand whether I have AT, KJs or pocket aces.
If you say to yourself "I'll do A, and if villain does X, I'll do Y, but if he does Z, I'll do V instead" then you are less inclined to make an error.
Always plan for all eventualities. Before you put in a bet or a raise, ask yourself "What should I do if he re-raises me?"

We tend to make bad decisions when villain does something that surprises us. If we are mentally prepared for those surprises (e.g. a flop check-raise) then we can deal with them correctly.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com