Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

All in or not?

Old
All in or not? - Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
I had an argument with my friend over this hand... Here is the situation I was MP3 , 10000 chips blinds 100/200 , ante 20, and everybody folded to me so I raised 2.5 BB (btw in the case of late middle or late pos, if everyone folds I raised in 90% of cases) and guy on the button had 2300 chips and just called with AJs ( I had KJ btw).So I argued that he should've shoved all in in that situation and my friend said that it was the correct move.. So, opinions?

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi cofics94!

What type of tourney was it? League, freeroll, cash? Different games will have different strategies.

Normally a player isn't pot-committed until they put in 1/3 of their stack, so if the opp had 2300, 500 will not pot-commit them to shove.... but it can definitely depend on the tourney type and how close you are to getting ITM.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
PokerSchoolOnline Open Skill League, so freeroll...

I know he is not pot committed but given the position, lack of action besides my raise (and i repeat, I tried to steal whenever I had connectors, or suited cards of any kind if I everyone folded to me and I was in late position). In my opinion the guy should've thought 'it's unlikely he has a strong hand given his range,this is my chance to double up).

Old
Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi cofics94!

In a league game, I'm NEVER shoving there. The entire goal of these games is to last the longest in order to accumulate league points. It's better to blind down to nothing and be blinded in, than to ever take a chance early in one of those tourneys.

Lasting longer, never being all-in without knowing that I'm ahead after the entire board is out, are the keys to moving up the leaderboard.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofics94 View Post
I had an argument with my friend over this hand... Here is the situation I was MP3 , 10000 chips blinds 100/200 , ante 20, and everybody folded to me so I raised 2.5 BB (btw in the case of late middle or late pos, if everyone folds I raised in 90% of cases) and guy on the button had 2300 chips and just called with AJs ( I had KJ btw).So I argued that he should've shoved all in in that situation and my friend said that it was the correct move.. So, opinions?

The opp had 11BB, if it was a move it should have been a shove

Yes, league games are different because you are after points and not ITM but TBH, even in a league game I am shove/folding at that BB level, I am sorry

The goal of the PSO Open Freeroll is to last the longest BUT not to play stupid. The argument that it is OK to stall-play your hands because you are looking to grind your stack to 1BB and then get blinded out isn't my opinion of how to play a league game.

I want to get to top position for maximum points... I don't do that by stall-playing to get from 2500-2250. If i have AA in the early stages and someone shoves me, I am not folding it just because I could get outdrawn.

Many people WILL disagree with me because I know the tone of the advise that people give on the league and that the way its points are structured you are better off sitting-out each game than actually playing. It needs re-evaluating pure and simple.

So I will contradict my fellow posters and say, AJ with 11BB in ANY torny is a shove... even a league. Worst case is that he goes out there but if he was stall-playing then he might has well have just sat-out. A shove here with a win gives him a DU and the chance to get more points.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com