Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom,river decision OOP

Old
5NL Zoom,rivered flush turning into bluffcatcher - Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Villain_1 was 53/29, 3B: 13 over 18 hands.

The reasoning behind check was to make him bluff his missed straight draws JQ,QT. I raised expecting to get a call from his Kx hands. What's the best line on the river? I'd like to hear comments about my betsizing too. Thanks in advance

Last edited by morduk666; Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old
Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Morduk

I think the most important decision here is the one you face when you get three-bet on the river. I think this is a fold because I don't think our opponent is going to be three-bet shoving the river with a worse hand.

Like you said, you expect him to call the check-raise with his KX type hands.

Even a 53/29 player is unlikely to three-bet bluff shove the river and the hands he does this with for value are almost all exclusively better. Sometimes he will have lost his mind with a flush or a crazy hand, but he can have a lot more full house combinations than the average player, since he is likely playing any KX suited combination preflop and even a bunch of random KX offsuit combinations.

So if we are going to check-raise the river for value, I think it should be to fold to an all-in shove. Our price is not that good and his bluffing frequency should not be that high, we certainly don't have reason, over so few hands, to think it is. Finally his value range is much better than the particular hand we hold. So I think, whatever else, the way you played the hand up to the last decision is fine and reasonable and defensible, but you have to fold to the river shove because of the range of hands he is likely to have in that situation.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com