Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Sandtrap's goals for 2013

Old
Sandtrap's goals for 2013 - Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Here are My Poker goals for 2013

I always said that VPP's only comes second to the cash. Vpp's are basically a bonus to add to your cash. But in 2012, I've reached my goal and for the last 2 months of the year, I tried to accomplish a specific goal which was to obtain 8,333 vpp's all while having a positive cash profit. Well I did it!!!!!

So by year end 2013 I want to be a SUPERNOVA

Yearly goals

I would like to increase my poker knowledge and I intend to do this by watching videos, searching the internet for information in achieving this. I would like to be a Platinum Star every month and I intend to do this by playing cash games which in return will give me my money goal of $18,000 and SUPERNOVA by year end.

Monthly goals

To be a Platinum Star VIP (8,333 VPP's), I will do this by playing 70,000 hands, 20,000 at the 50NL and 50,000 at 25NL. I will watch 4 videos and 8 hours of hand analysis. My financial monthly goal is to make $1,000 which doesn't include poker benefits

Weekly goals

20 hours a week
17,000 hands of cash games (mainly Zoom)
1 video and 2 hours of hand analysis with PT3 or via the Poker School forum

I will not spend more than my monthly bankroll and I will not spend more time on poker as per my set goals so I can spend time with the family and other activities.

Buy following those goals, I will get $1,200 in Stellar Rewards and I will of accumulated 337,000 FPP's for the entire year, which I can exchange for close to $5,300 for a total of $6,500 or keep those FPP's for tournaments or satellites for bigger events.

Good Luck all

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Sounds awesome Sandtrap! I haven't kept up to date with everything on here, happy to see you have been trucking right along and working hard to advance your poker game. Always warms my heart a little to see someone use their hard work and skill too produce profits and accomplish goals playing a game many people think is "just gambling".

Hope you reach your 2013 goals and then some!

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
Hello Sand,

I was looking at your accomplishments from 2012 very nice

I wish you the best on your goals for 2013 and sure you will surpass them.

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Here are My Poker goals for 2013

I always said that VPP's only comes second to the cash. Vpp's are basically a bonus to add to your cash. But in 2012, I've reached my goal and for the last 2 months of the year, I tried to accomplish a specific goal which was to obtain 8,333 vpp's all while having a positive cash profit. Well I did it!!!!!

So by year end 2013 I want to be a SUPERNOVA

Yearly goals

I would like to increase my poker knowledge and I intend to do this by watching videos, searching the internet for information in achieving this. I would like to be a Platinum Star every month and I intend to do this by playing cash games which in return will give me my money goal of $18,000 and SUPERNOVA by year end.

Monthly goals

To be a Platinum Star VIP (8,333 VPP's), I will do this by playing 70,000 hands, 20,000 at the 50NL and 50,000 at 25NL. I will watch 4 videos and 8 hours of hand analysis. My financial monthly goal is to make $1,000 which doesn't include poker benefits

Weekly goals

20 hours a week
17,000 hands of cash games (mainly Zoom)
1 video and 2 hours of hand analysis with PT3 or via the Poker School forum

I will not spend more than my monthly bankroll and I will not spend more time on poker as per my set goals so I can spend time with the family and other activities.

Buy following those goals, I will get $1,200 in Stellar Rewards and I will of accumulated 337,000 FPP's for the entire year, which I can exchange for close to $5,300 for a total of $6,500 or keep those FPP's for tournaments or satellites for bigger events.

Good Luck all

best advice/plan ever

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That absolutely sounds like a great plan Trap!

Hope to see you as a nova next year!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 19, 2012, 06:01 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
nice one Sand, we are going to see a SUPERNOVA in PSO

AWESOME

congratulations

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:55 PM
(#7)
WEEK #1

Since I was on holidays all of last week, I did step overboard as for the number of hands and number of hours. Also, since I was banned for an entire week from PSO, I had no access to any videos or training. But instead, I decided to watch some of the pro's play 50NL 6-max regular cash games.

I'm now using PT4 to keep track of my hands and to analyse my winning and losing hands. I'm also using a new tool that comes with PT4, which is Leak Tracker. There's 26 overall analysis that will help me in becoming a better player.

During Dave's analysis of my cash games during December, he has pinpointed some of my leaks and when I ran the analysis tool in PT4, it pretty much said the same thing. Out of the 26 analysis, I have 21 good and 5 potential problems or improvement to take care of. They are:

- Flop continuation bet % (increase)
- Fold to flop bet % (increase)
- Fold to turn bet % (increase)
- Attempted to steal from late position % (increase)
- Went to showdown % (decrease)

I've started a spreadsheet were I keep track every week of my progress. For example for my C-Bet%, I stand at 53.78% and I should be between 59.7% and 83.0%. My goal is to be at about 65% and once I have more data, I will post a graph.

For my first week, I didn't do so bad. It was a bit more volatile than I'm use to, as I was trying a few things to correct my problems, so here are my stats for the week #1.

Hands played: 20,946 (10% at 50NL)
Vpp's: 3,124
BB/100: 8.49
Profit: $625.23

I will be posting 2 hands at every update. It will be tough to pick only 2 out of 20,000, but with time, I'll try to pick 2 which could entice a discussion. So here are the first 2.

Hand #1

In this hand I was learning to steal more blinds. My KQo seemed ok to do it, especially vs a one table player and a very small stack

With his small raise, I thought he was protecting his SB. With the small cards on the flop and a min bet, I just called, since he had a small stack, he could of gone all in. After the turn, he did go all in. What would you of done?

Hand #2

In this hand I did a normal raise of 3x, then i wanted to control the pot because of the wet board with a 70% bet on the flop and the turn.

On the turn he decided to 3 bet all in ???????
So what could he possibly have????
QQ, nah, he'd probably of gone for value, AA, KK, maybe, but I'm betting on 2 spades or 2 pairs. What would you of done?

I'll be posting the final hand results on my next update

Good Luck all

Last edited by Sandtrap777; Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 07:06 PM..

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 09:47 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Very cool thread

A great learning tool for sure.

cheers

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 09:56 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Great start Trap!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:10 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2012
Firstly i would say nice post, a joy to read.

I'm new to poker but i'll try with some feedback, even though
you would know more than me. Also like how you leave your hand replays a mystery at the end, very intrigued with the outcome, and well done on your profits, one day i hope i can replicate this.

Okay hand one... makes it harder when you dont know the persons style that your against..

firstly i'm no pro, but if you were trying to steal blinds, this was a mistake. Firstly you have got a raiser in mid position, stealing blinds is better left when there are no raisers before you. Secondly he has raised small, to a mid position raise and a BTN call, i think if he was trying to protect he would of raised much larger, he could have a monster and just raising the pot and keeping you in by raising small, knowing you will call a small raise, hard to say.. the shove could be protection against the flush draws, i dont think he would shove with a draw, so ruling them out, his got two pair, AQ, or overpair, i don't know what i would of done cause i would of played the hand different, maybe a re raise before the turn would of given you more info and an easier decision?

hand 2

this is probably a bad beat but you are probably right, qq wouldn't shove, and it would be a bad play no matter what he had... it is a must call... at this stage you would think your best, qq wouldnt shove there unless his scared ur drawing to a flush maybe, but still a bad play.... its a must call

like i said i'm no pro

really interested to see the hand outcomes

keep up the good work

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 06:25 AM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2011
First of all, I like your blog. I've been inspired to write one and would appreciate it if you gave mine a glance. I'll chip in on your two hands, but I must say in advance, I know nothing of how the two villians play. Specifically, what they think is strong and how their respective sessions have been progressing.

In response to Hand 2, i read his line of play thusly:

If he had AA/KK/AK, there would have a been a 3bet to your 3x raise.
So let's say, some kind of Axs (Maybe AQ spades). But he'd probably 3bet you on the flop and try and take it down there or at least buy a free card.
I'm going with pocket pairs here. QQ/JJ-33 start to make sense. I'm leaning towards QQ/33/44, QQ being the least likely with that flop texture. He's made a set. There's a sizeable pot. He moves all in on the turn to take it down with 2 flush draws showing.
Or least that's how i think he played it.

I would call in this spot. I might be wrong but his line of play says he wants the hand to end on the turn. Whatever he has, he feels it's good enough here but maybe not on the river.
*AK of hearts is a possibility as Moxie pip says below. If he has you on say a Queen and decided to float. He's now trying to push you off the hand now that he's added the flush draw. Then it goes back to the type of player he is. From the hands you've played with him, is the kind of player to semibluff with (what he thinks is) 25%. In any case, I think you still have about 85% and a call is right

Hand 1 is pretty straight forward to me. You have top pair, decent kicker. He showed strength preflop, on the flop, and seems (or is trying to) unfazed by the Queen on the turn. I'd give it up. If it's a bluff with say, AK or A7, then credit to him. I just don't think top pair here is good enough for the call. You could be up against AQ.

Again, I should say my decisions might be a bit different if I had history between us. I could also be hopelessly wrong on both.

Last edited by mkenyahalisi; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Added AKs to hand 2

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:07 AM
(#12)
Since: Nov 2007
Stupendous results as usual. Just a question though: isn't stealing the blinds raising preflop in order to win the blinds uncontested? I cannot see how the first hand can be related to stealing the blinds if you did not raise.

I will comment on the two hands later with my thoughts.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#13)
Yes sorry, it wasn't a steal. In my head, I was concentrating on the small blind once villain 5 folded. That's why I said stealing.

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 10:08 AM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2011
I can only echo what the above posters have said; your results speak for themself and I will be avidly following your 2013 progress. Your style really does intrigue me and your attitude of always trying to improve is great to see.

Good luck in 2013 trap.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 11:38 AM
(#15)
Since: Nov 2007
Thanks Sand,

Now for the hands.

Hand 1 I would have called and probably lost as usual I do know what I should have done though and that is fold. Without reads and up against a short stack Gareth always mentions to give them the benefit of the doubt and not to even get involved without a really strong hand. The problem for me is that when someone shoves here I often believe they are doing it to protect a weaker hand. A lot of the time I am wrong though.

Hand 2 looks like a flush draw to me too. I am calling here and hoping he does not have slowplayed Qs, AKx looks most likely so we are hoping to avoid a heart or spade and hold with our set or if the board pairs improve to a house.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:03 PM
(#16)
Great start to trying to build on a great year,keep it going Trap!!!

For the hands...

Hand 1: This is the hand that smells like AKs to me actually,I'm thinking more likely spades but maybe hearts as well.

I'm just looking at the players line and what makes the most sense,at least to me. With no stats on the player,which I imagine is a real issue when you play ZOOM (not sure this WAS a ZOOM session,but I know you play them...)I kind of resort to what makes sense to ME as far as a line,which admittedly is somewhat limiting.

Preflop to bump this pot up,if I'm holding any of the hands they COULD have flopped a set with...well 33 and 44 I think they would have just flatted,77 with their stack I'm either again flatting or I'm shoving,never bloating a pot this short pre on a hand that I'll be folding to so many flops.

65 I never see them having here,so the straight possibility I'm ignoring,IF they have it,they have it and bully for them.

Also their flop bet of $2 into a $9 pot with a coordinated board to draws that could be crushing any possible flopped set or straight makes no sense.

That keeps me coming back to AKs,likely spades because if they had hearts I think they take a much more aggressive line on the c-bet.

The main danger hand that I'm sweating here,AQ does fit the profile for the preflop play,and even a non AhQh hand on the flop,if they do have AhQh then I once more think the c-bet is larger,they would want to bloat the pot more than $2 into $9 and aren't too scared of someone shoving over them as they do have a nut draw to fall back on if pushed. And AhQh shoving and very possibly chasing you away on the turn is a huge value punt,if it's me and I have top-top and the nut flush draw then I want to make the biggest value bet that I believe you can call,overbet shoving is NOT it.

So to me it's probably AK of spades,maybe even AQ or AJ of spades but the preflop line is a little off for those to me,especially AJ. And AJ has lost 3 possible outs with the turned Q as well,so I really don't see that as the hand,but would be thrilled to be wrong.

AsKs... line makes sense all the way...good,aggressive play preflop,the "I whiffed" weak c-bet on the flop and then the turn shove smells like a semi-bluff ship to me.

That would be my read and therefore I would call here.

So probably first stack off of a villain in this thread.

Hand 2: I'm not going to get too deep into this one...

QQ just makes no sense here,it's the only hand that beats us,so I'm calling all day long and twice on Sunday.

If I'm right (and I'd be stunned to not be...) and they bink the river...well we got our money in best and that's a scenario that we'll take every time.

So now that I've punted TWO stacks,what else you got?

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 07:53 PM
(#17)
you are the best Sand

your thread is definitely very informative and at the same time inspiring

go go go Sand

Now, were curious about your opp's hand

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 10:23 PM
(#18)
Since: Mar 2012
@Hand 1: Is a close one. Don't know how it works at 50NL Zoom. Without stats, I think is a fold. True, we can be bluff-catching a FD (AhKh seems most probable), JJ or TT at best. But we only invested $5.50, have to call off another $19 with only TPGK. Doesn't sound like a good trade-off.

@Hand 2: Call. If he's trapping our great Mr Sandtrap with QQ and used some reverse psychology shoving, then lucky him. (Sometimes people flat AK and QQ behind because a TAG opened UTG) It's still a bad play by him because he'll fold out most hands like one pair, 2 pairs, flush draws. Gonna be losing value in the long run.
However, if he did have QQ, then 33 and 44 are well in his range too. We can throw in FD some of the time. All in all, I'm not folding middle set here. We're ahead most of the time

Last edited by TheAwesomeNW; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old
my thoughts - Tue Jan 08, 2013, 07:58 AM
(#19)
Since: Jul 2012
In hand 1 i have i strong feeling he was value betting the flop, i think i can find a fold on this hand he has played it strong reraised pre, c bet flop i dont know what we are beating .Hand 2 if he has a set of Queens nice hand and move on but i am calling all day every day. Having read some of your reply's and blog's before they are both most probably the exact opposite but i really enjoyed it thank's Sandtrap

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#20)
(Head Trainer)
Hand 1 when he bets $2 into $9 on the flop there's such a huge chance he's got nothing that I'd have raised him and taken the pot away right there. As played it's a call, his whole line makes no sense and he's a fish so there's enough unpredictability here for him to be shoving air, a draw, or a worse Q that I'd take my chances. If he has AQ so be it.

Hand 2 we have the effective nuts, why would anyone ever dream of folding here?!?

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com