Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Would you make the call?

Old
Would you make the call? - Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Hey I was playing NL5 6max zoom and came up against this play.

Haven't had any hand with the player in question, is goldstar.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...455_413570D999

Here you can see the action don't have the replay tool installed:p (srry bout that:p)

In my feel on these limits the checkraise on the flop on dry board is like nearly always a set.
As we had over 100BB I think he might have called to setmine and stack me.

I just feel that the only hands i beat are QQ, AJ and stone cold bluff.
Smelled like a valueshove and had to run over things for over 100sec there.
He is goldstar so might be playing higher stakes normally what would argue for more aggressive play. And he might think he's valueshoving AJ, QQ and AA there.

I'd appreciate some thoughts.

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
** moved to correct forum **

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
I have seen some use this tactic when bluffing, so it simply is villian dependant.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
Had almost the exact same situation earlier but the flop came queen high, from the stats I had on him he seemed pretty loose so I called and of course he flipped over queens.

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
I'd fold pretty much instantly. The pot odds are so bad that villain has to be bluffing really often for it to be a profitable call for you. Even if he's spazzing out with AJ, he still has outs to beat you. I'd lay it down, as I prefer playing pots where I have a much better idea of where I'm at and the pot odds are more tempting. Call me a nit, but I hate risking my whole stack on a guessing game.
Also, if I called and he showed a set, I'd feel like an idiot and would be tilted for a while afterwards, possibly leading to bad play on subsequent hands.

Old
Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Sentras

I agree its not so clear that we should fold or call. If he is a gold star I would probably fold as I expect to see a set too often and like the previous poster mentions, our price isn't that good.

As our opponent becomes worse, or we estimate them to be a worse player, the more often this becomes a call.

I think the key is the texture of the board. With no flush draw out there the only draw it could make sense to play this way is 89s and he would have had to both opened that UTG and called our three-bet oop.

I don't particularly like being so exploitable since I imagine some players at 5nl will play AJ and QQ this way. So I wouldn't fault you for calling without a strong read. But I think a goldstar player is unlikely to be doing this without the goods. A player playing 1 table with a bronze star on the other hand, is capable of such a wider variety of plays that I think we would have to look them up.

Tough spot

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com