Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

To slowplay or ship it!

Old
To slowplay or ship it! - Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

Any thoughts on how i played this hand?

Old
Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Adam!

With AA from UTG, I'm going to make a standard open-raise to 3BB or 90. This way, due to the standard raise, I can conceal the strength of my hand.

I then get a call and a raise to 390. With AA, I'd much rather be up against one opp than two, so when it folds back to me, I'm going to 4-bet shove here and hope to isolate the opp that raised to 390. I'm shoving, as my standard raise would be to 3X the previous bet, which absolutely would pot-commit me. I don't want to flat here, as that is going to give UTG+1 the right price to call and make it a 3-way pot and I don't want to let them or the other opp seeing cards on the flop that could possibly beat me before the rest of their chips go in.

The board here is a great reason why I don't want to flat. There is both a pair and a flush draw and if both opps want to stay, I cannot price them both out for the flush draw! The best I can do is to shove first here and hope that UTG+1 folds before the button gets to act.
I absolutely do NOT want to check, as the only way that I want to check is if there are no cards left in the deck that can beat me... here, there are a number of them that can cost me my stack.

It's nice to get lucky and to not have their flush or 2 outer hit, but by slowplaying it, the flush draw player had a +EV play on every street to call, which will cost me in the long run, as they expect to gain chips from each street's bet. I want to size my bets so that the opps will have a -EV play on each street, so they expect to lose chips each time they want to try to outdraw me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Perfect spot to 4-bet jam pre-flop. Get your money in when you KNOW you have the best hand. Don't slowplay and then get your money in when you don't.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com