Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6-max zoom: 78s top two for 250bbs effective stack

Old
25NL 6-max zoom: 78s top two for 250bbs effective stack - Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi all,

preflop: i decide to call a utg open with a strong hand that can flop fairly well and win a big pot for effective stacks of over 250bbs.

flop: we flop top two and the opponent insta c-bets fairly strong. i decided to flat call his raize since i wouldn't feel confident getting 250bbs on this flop if he decides to go with it or 3-bet with some flush draw.

turn: a jack comes and again he insta-bets strongly. untill this point it felt as though he held a big overpair, turned a set of jacks, or had a set all along and isn't bothered to pot control for 250bbs. again i decide to play it safe and just call. In retrospect i think that around here i should have put in a raise and fold to a 3-bet in case he does so.

river: again on the river he bets pretty quickly and i think that the only play that i have is to just call here and hope my ex-top two is good, that it wasn't....

What would u think is a good line to take for those stack sizes and hand strength?

I wanted to play a big pot for 200+ bbs in position and it turned out that i was the one that was afraid the depth of money and not the opponent..... fishyyyy....

Thanks!

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey bro you've got sick progress on the 3 tables, nice start for the day! Wish I haven't seen the results for this hand. Would have made the river call too. It's just hard to fold 2 pairs to a <1/2 pot river bet.

But I do think that we should have raised the flop. It's a dream flop for our depth of money and I'll want to get all the money in. Only thing we're afraid of is 33 but it's just a small part of his UTG range. So definitely fast play on the flop and turn to extract value from any flush draws and overpairs

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 01:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
Hey AwesomeNW,
Yeah I think I run pretty hot these days

I wouldn't be so sure that we should be happy to be getting 250bbs on the flop there. I find it really hard to believe that even a half-decent player would commit more than 150bbs on an overpair on that flop. So whenever we get stack action I would be pretty sure we are beat by one of the 3 possible sets.

As far as the flop raise and bet turn for value line, you mentioned is prolly pretty good here.

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:24 AM
(#4)
Since: Mar 2012
Hmm I kind of think that this's the dream flop for suited connectors deepstacked. This's the reason why we call raises in position- to flop 2 pairs/ flop a flush draw/ flop a flush, then stack off overvalued 1 pair hands. There'll be a portion of players just can't let go of their premiums in such spots where there's no possible flopped flush, or flopped straight. They might call your flop raise, then play passive from there.

I think end of the day, whether to stack him on the flop largely depends on your image of him- fishy or regular. And his perceived image of you

Old
Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi f1n,

You haven't given any reads in the OP but the in reply to TheAwesome's comment you said:
"I find it really hard to believe that even a half-decent player would commit more than 150bbs on an overpair on that flop. So whenever we get stack action I would be pretty sure we are beat by one of the 3 possible sets." Do we have a read?

I'm actually in the camp of raising the flop, and being willing to stack it in if necessary. I would need a read that the villain will ONLY do this with sets to not be willing. Here's the thing, if the player is a big fish and has a premium pair, he's likely to stack it in because AA is the nuts! If he's halfway decent he's not exactly giving up directly to a flop raise... he should recognize on this depth of money this is a great flop for you to semi-bluff or bluff agaisnt his UTG raising range and thus he will likely continue. So I want to start building the pot right now on the easiest street to get value.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com