Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

0.25 cent 90 man playing AK

Old
0.25 cent 90 man playing AK - Sat Dec 15, 2012, 01:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

should i have just called the river?

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 04:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
To answer your question: Yes you should have just called on the river. You were getting a good price to showdown. However I think the way he played the hand was just screeming strength that I would have folded my top pair top kicker on the flop. Usually when players donk bets the flop, they either have a top or mid-pair, two-pair or chasing a draw. I think the raise on the flop is ok, but when he reraises then I know I'm crushed by either two pair or a set and would fold.

It'll be interesting to hear what the trainers think.

Old
Sat Dec 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Villain's line is fishy. It's confusing. When I'm confused, I take the low variance line and just call every street. I don't want to value-cut myself.
So I just station it up on every street, never raising and re-opening the action. A mindonk can indicates huge strength or a very weak hand or draw. If you raise, villain folds the hands you're beating so you don't get value. If he has a monster, then you want to lose the minimum. Just calling 100 on each street minimises your losses and leaves you with a playable stack and a nice new note ("mindonks with set") that will be useful in future. If villain had nothing much, then you were never gonna win a big pot anyway.
In replaying this hand in your mind, and thinking about your flop and river raises, ask yourself the question: "Does he ever call with worse?"
If he doesn't call with worse than AK, then don't raise!

Old
Sun Dec 16, 2012, 05:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi a1379,

The quick answer. Yes I would just call on the river.

I really like the raise on the flop. The weak lead is normally weak, so just calling gives them a chance to catch up and doesn't build the pot. So reraising the flop is good.

When they min 3bet. As RFlush says this is a massive sign of strength. If it was bigger I would say fold. But I think we are getting too much of a good price here. Most likely this is a hand like 66, 88, A6 or A8.

I would probably call the 3bet on the flop but be very very weary of putting any more money in.

Two more very weak leads on the turn and river. I think it's tempting to reraise the river. But I think we are better off just calling given the action on the flop.

Good Luck
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com