Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

trouble moving up

Old
trouble moving up - Mon Dec 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
i have been playing NL0.02-0.05 zoom, in december i have played 13,367 hands with a win rate of 10.56 BB/100 i have tryed moving up to 0.05-0.10 and keep losing big . does any1 have any ideas of what i am doing wrong?

Old
Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
(#2)
Having played quite a bit of Zoom (and similar tables on other sites) at 5NL, 10NL and a bit of 25NL, I would say that there is only a small difference (if any) between 5NL and 10NL. However, if you're having problems and believe that you're playing the same way (sometimes, it's difficult to tell by yourself), and without much information from you, I would say that you have to tighten your range of starting hands. At these levels, I believe that it's best to play an ABC style.

Also, you should be using your current bankroll amount (see here) as an indicator whether you should move up to the next level more so than your win rate.

Hope that helps.

iggyo

Follow me on Twitter

Old
Mon Dec 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
(#3)
i have been using the 50 buyin rule . maybe if i can build back up to $500 i will give 0.05-0.10 another shot. that will give me alot of time to work on my game lmao. i am such a fish, my BR is $351.27 . should alot of time to make my game better .

Old
Mon Dec 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
It could be just you don't have a big enough sample?

Or maybe your a bit scared in case you keep losing at the higher buy in and it's affecting your play?

Maybe your picking the wrong tables to join? Look for games with high pots and high players % per flop.

You hopefully keep notes? Look for games with players you know that are bad and chase after them. If you find a fish then he's your best friend. Remember he won't stick around long so his money is better in your pocket than someone else's.

Old
Variance - Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2011
The fact you are on the forums trying to improve proves you are no fish.

13k is a small sample size in the grand scheme of things. You might be having your wins at the lower stake (where you are more confident) and getting you losses at the higher stake. This can be devastating to your bankroll and your confidence.

It could just be a simple case of variance. You didn’t mention your hand count at the higher stake?

You need to play at least 30k have before you can have an idea if you are winning at a stake. I was only asking the other day if people thought 100k was enough!

Go over your hand history at the higher stakes and see if you are playing the same way as you do lower down. If you are; let variance do its job and EV will prove itself. A strong play style at one stake will be good enough for the next stake up.

If you find yourself losing your bankroll at a rate of knots step down. There is no shame in lower stakes. Build a more robust bankroll – there is no rush – then try again later. The poker game is eternal; it will be waiting for you.

Old
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 05:27 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2013
The poker game is eternal; it will be waiting for you.

Best piece of advice I've ever heard.

Old
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
So when do you move up levels? I never played cash much and have just begun my foray into those tables. I started at the 2NL because I wasn't sure how I'd do. After 1000 hands I'm consistently profiting and I have the bankroll to move to 5NL. I realize that 1000 hands means nothing but for me to play 100,000 hands would take me over a year. How much consistency do you need to prove to yourself before moving up? I'm thinking I will take a 1000-hand stab at 5NL and see how I do. Although how do you decide whether a loss over those 1000 hands is because of variance or because I'm not ready for 5NL?

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#8)
the main thing is if u have 25 buy ins for the next higher game and want to move up take a shot. but just remember to move back down when u fall to 25 buy ins for the next lower game. that keeps u from going broke lol well it does 4 me

Old
Sat Mar 23, 2013, 09:34 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Gibb View Post
The poker game is eternal; it will be waiting for you.

Best piece of advice I've ever heard.
Can't really agree with this statement. -- USA customer here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong263 View Post
i have been playing NL0.02-0.05 zoom, in december i have played 13,367 hands with a win rate of 10.56 BB/100 i have tryed moving up to 0.05-0.10 and keep losing big . does any1 have any ideas of what i am doing wrong?
Not too many ideas here at the moment. Tried a 5-buyin shot at 10NL a couple weeks ago and got owned. Lost 6.5 buy-ins in a few hours. Will by trying a 10-buy-in shot next time. I think 25 buy-ins is OK. Wouldn't wait any longer than that though.

One thing I would suggest is just keep doing what you were doing that made you money at 5NL. I don't expect 10NL to be hugely different. Don't make adjustments based on assumptions.

Last edited by RockerguyAA; Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 09:39 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com