Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

? for Trainers

Old
? for Trainers - Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
I'm considering a challenge and would like some input from those who know more.

I want to try to force myself to use reads more while playing and how I think this can be done is with play chip SNGs and covering one hole card.

My logic behind this is with one hole card always hidden I am forcing myself to adjust my plays by reads rather than my cards.

Any thoughts?

Old
Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Interesting but I think you'd only start playing any A and missing pocket pairs etc. Maybe better covering both hole cards (which I've read) before and trying to play a tight aggressive game.

Old
Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Cover both hole cards is a nice exercise. Since the only way to accumulate chips is to create situations that don't go to showdown, it forces you to identify spots where opponents are likely to fold, either now or later in the hand, and take lines to try and achieve that.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Let me know if you have any success on getting reads on play money players.
I have enough trouble putting freerollers and microstakes players on a range/hand when there's real money at stake, as peanut stakes lead to crazy plays and way too many bad calls and bad bluffs.

But if you want to start making reads, assign a range pre-flop to a player based on his/her position (early should be tight, late a bit looser) and whether they raised or called, and then refine that range based on the post-flop action. Most players will only bet or raise post-flop (especially on the turn/river) if they have a strong hand.

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
The first six months of playing poker, I used play those 6-max STTs where everybody played with like a VPIP of 50-85% ... including me. I didn't know it was so high because I didn't have a HUD, and so I was just doing what I saw everybody else doing, because some people were able to win such big pots and stuff ... lol - this was before Live Training and the Video library got started, so ... those are my excuses for playing the way I did

And then like, playing with a VPIP of like 60%, against other people who are even looser than you, I imagine that's how it must feel like to have your hole cards covered ... because more often than not all of our hole cards were about as useful as having nothing - and it just wound up becoming about what we felt we could get away with against the table, based on position, reads?

Important to note that I was NOT profitable playing this way!! But I guess there's always stuff you can take away from every experience, eh? Playing blind v blind at 5nl sometimes doesn't feel all that different

Just thought you might find that like an interesting alternative? Or maybe not ...

GL ... let us know how it goes!!

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
(#6)
Still haven't done it yet but plan to. I think there has to be something to be gained from it and will cover both hole cards.

When I do play for play chips here I don't play lower than the 25k 9man or 6man SNGs so the play is a bit better than the other buy-ins. The hold back is the play chip purse, currently I have about 1.6 million so I would be limited on how many games I'd be willing to do this with but could at least do 10-20 games and still recover if I lost it all.

I will post here when I do this but I do play cash at other sites so this is not a priority to me at this time.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com