Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

2$ MTT, 76s, straight flush draw on flop

Old
2$ MTT, 76s, straight flush draw on flop - Sat Dec 22, 2012, 04:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010

Hello everybody!
I am wondering, what is the correct way to play such monster draws. I realize, what I gambled in the replay above. I guess, my mistake was continuing after the turn.
Villain here is quite tight player(VP$IP - 17%) with total aggression factor about 1.5(after 56 hands played).

Old
Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Corb3au!

Welcome to the forum.

With 67s from the button and two limpers in front of me, I'm going to limp behind and hope to hit a part of the flop.

I flop a flush draw, straight draw and gutshot straight flush draw and have the opp bet 1125. Now, I need to see if it makes sense to call this bet. I need to put 1125 into a pot that will be 3645 (30.8%). If my hand equity is higher, then I'll call. If it is lower, I'll fold. I have 9 outs to the flush and another 3 outs to the straight (the 5 of clubs is already counted in the flush outs), so if the opp has a J or better, I have 12 outs. 12 outs times 2% per out means that my hand is worth 24%. Since the pot equity (30.8%) is higher than my hand equity (24%), while I do have a big draw, I do not have the correct odds to call and need to fold the flop.

I need to do the same type of calculation on the turn. I really can't call, since this is the overwhelming majority of my stack, so I need to either shove or fold. If I shove, it will be 3982 chips into a pot that will be 11609 (34.3%). I still have the same outs, so my hand is only worth 24%. Since the pot equity is higher than what my hand is worth, the turn is also a muck.

When playing a draw, I need to make sure that the value of my hand is higher than the value that I put into the pot. If my hand is worth more, then I expect to gain chips by calling. If the value of my hand is less, I expect to lose chips by calling and I want to be making plays where I expect to gain chips on average over time.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
So my play is lacking math? Well, yeah, probably. Thanks for the evaluation!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com