Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

How can I start?

Old
How can I start? - Sat Dec 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
Hi,

I've never made a deposit, and I'd like to start the bank builder course.

Thank you.

Old
Sat Dec 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mths costa View Post
Hi,
Thank you.
Hi,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
Thank you.
Hi,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions.

These sessions can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Getting Started - Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Hi,

I've finally watched the "Getting Started" live training and the bet sizing. =]

What is the next step?

Thank you.

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:13 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
I've finally watched the "Getting Started" live training and the bet sizing. =]
What is the next step?
Thank you.
Hi mths costa,

We can see that you did attend the session today. Did you find it useful? Did you learn something from it that you didn't know before?

Just a note though that it was only the 'Getting Started' session that you needed to attend, you will have to attend the other sessions later in the promotion.

Next Step

Next up play some 9-handed full-ring play money tables. Make sure the tables have no empty seats.

Find a hand that caused you difficulty or cost you chips and using the hand replayer post it here in the Forum.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Once you've posted your hand we will analyse it for you and then continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 08:56 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Actually, there wasn't anything new for me, because I've been using Poker Stars for quite a while.

I'll send you the video when I get a hard hand.

Thank you.

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:18 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Hi,

I'm sending you the link with a hand I got earlier today. It was a tough decision because I didn't have the highest pair. So, even though I won, I don't know if my decision was technically right. I've been playing for quite a while today and this was the hardest decision that I had to take, so I hope you like it. =D

Thank you.

Old
Hard Hand - Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Just got this other hand. I decided to go on after the flop because I had 15 outs. So I had a pretty good draw. I lost though

Thank you.

Last edited by mths costa; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 12:28 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mths costa!

I'll assume these hands are from a cash table, becuase if it's a tourney (especially a league game), the strategy on it would be totally different. If they are from a tourney, please note that playing any cash buy-in game format other than a cash full ring (9 player) table can disqualify you from earning further buy-ins from this promotion.

With 10's, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so with two limpers, I'll bet 2k.
The flop brings two overcards and it's checked to me. I'm going to check behind here for two reasons. For pot control and also due to the fact that if I do make my standard 1/2 pot c-bet, this is well more than 1/3 my stack, so I'd need to shove.
On the river, if the opp bet more, then I'm going to fold, but when they make a very small bet in relation to the size of the pot, I'm going to call.
The other thing that I would consider in this hand is to shove the turn. The opp has not shown any aggression in the hand and with them checking both the flop and turn, this normally means tha the flop did not help them, so my 10's should be good and if so, I want to make a value bet.

The first thing with the QJ hand is that on a cash ring table, I never want to sit with a lower than average stack. I always want to buy-in for the maximum, so that I can have more playability in my stack.
UTG limps and I have QJo from mid position. With 6 players behind me left to act, I'm going to muck this preflop, as I would need to shove if I played it (a standard raise would be to 400, which is over 1/3 my stack, so I would need to shove). My stack is too low to call and fold here, as I only have 9BB. Trying to chase marginal hands is something that will be a large drain to my bankroll over time, as it is a huge chip leak.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 12:56 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Hi,

First, thank you for the tips, they will be handy for my next plays.

Second, these tables weren't a cash table. One was a full fing play money tble, and the other was a play money tournament.

Third, I've been playing on the Open League Tournaments and I won $0,01 twice. So yesterday I entry on a hyper-turbo tourney, whose buy-in was $0,02. I really hope that does not put me out of this promotion.

If I'm still eligible for this promotion, I'd like to know what is my next step.

Thanks, John.

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 05:14 PM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
First, thank you for the tips, they will be handy for my next plays.
Hi mths costa,

Next Step

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent fullring real money tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you pass the quiz, get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Poker Basics Test - Sun Jan 06, 2013, 05:45 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Hi,

I passed this test before apply to this promotion and I now I was trying to do it again but the system didn't allow me.

Thank you.

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 08:16 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I passed this test
Hi mths costa,

You've passed the basics quiz, congrats on that!

Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours.

Use this first buy-in to then play ONLY the 1/2 cent full ring real money tables only on PokerStars. Playing any other game format will disqualify you from being able to obtain further buy-ins through this promotion.

Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games, along with a hand that you had problems, or that cost you money, while playing with this buy-in.

Also, please attend an 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This should help too.

Good luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Buy-in - Mon Jan 07, 2013, 10:38 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Hi,

I just checked my cashier and I already received the $2,00.

I'll post one tough hand when I get one.

Thank you.

Old
Bad hand - Mon Jan 07, 2013, 12:11 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Hi,This was around my 100th hand. I was playing very tight until then. But I got KK and decided to play. For pre flop, I muck my hand. Then after the flop, I raised 3 times the raiser. I think my mistake was after he re-raise my 12chips to 20. Am I right? Now I have earned some of my chips back. =D

Thank you

P.S: The guy told he had 66 so I'd have lost.

Last edited by mths costa; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: forgot the link

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 01:27 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Hi,

Got bad luck again, guys. =\

Lost my chips on this play. I thought my hand was good enough.

Now I only have $0,11.

Thank you.

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:44 AM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hi,This was around my 100th hand. I was playing very tight until then. But I got KK and decided to play. For pre flop, I muck my hand. Then after the flop, I raised 3 times the raiser. I think my mistake was after he re-raise my 12chips to 20. Am I right? Now I have earned some of my chips back. =D

Thank you

P.S: The guy told he had 66 so I'd have lost.

Hi mths costa

Tough spot! KK is the second best starting hand. Only AA is better. At lower limits like 2NL, I recommend raising and/or reraising preflop pretty much 100% of the time with this hand. As a general rule, start building the pot as early as possible with your strong made hands.

UTG min-raised, what does this mean? A read would help to know if he does this with strong hands or weak hands. You are on the btn which is great position. Nonetheless, I strongly suggest reraising. 3x the original raise, about 12 cents, would be standard. Raising does two important things. Firsly, it limits the number of players who join the action. Big pairs like KK and AA play best against a single opponent. Secondly, it builds the pot. If everyone folds, that is fine.

As played, the bb joined the action. The flop is low unsuited cards which looks good for you. Reraising as you did seems perfect. Nice job Now is when things get difficult. The bb called your reraise which is concerning, then the origianl raiser makes a min 3-bet. Post flop minimum raises like this, especially on the turn or river, are usually a tell of a very strong hand (a set or better). Now we have to reevaluate or hand and start playing carefully. I suggest just calling the raise and reevaluating again on the turn.

The only hands that seem to fit the villain's range are 22, 66, 88 and perhaps AA. A bluff doesn't seem likely with the vilain's line. Try to keep the pot under control, don't keep building it when the situation seems unclear. Here you have a great starting hand, but now it is "just a pair". If your hand doesn't improve, you will have to fold to a large bet.

On the turn, nice job making the fold. You limited your losses. Learning to fold big hands like AA and KK post flop when it is clear you are beat, is an important lesson. These spots can be very costly.

Remember, with big pairs KK and AA, you want to be aggressive preflop, then reevaluate post flop.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:59 AM
(#18)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hi,

Now I only have $0,11.

Thank you.

Hi mths costa

I am not sure what you were holding in this hand. Only the K is showing. I assume you had AK or KK again. Your bet size looks fine and raising the limpers would be smart with KK or AK. You are raising for value. Both oppenents call and the pot is now 34 cents and you have 55 behind.

On the flop you bet 6 cents into a pot of 34. This is too small a bet. The standard bet size would be 50% the pot, or 17 cents. This would have built the pot nicely allowing you to move all in on the turn. Small bets just give opponents a cheap chance to see a new card. Moving all in on the flop would have been fine as well if you had AK for top pair top kicker.

Yes, the villain played poorly and got lucky on the river. However, your small flop bet definately helped create this unlucky situation.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:14 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
Not to worry!

There's a few steps to complete before we award you with your next buy-in.

Next Step

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Bet Sizing' live training sessions.

These sessions can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bet Sizing - Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:53 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Hi,

I just attended the last Bet Sizing live training.

Thank you.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com