Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

This had me stumped

Old
Question
This had me stumped - Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
So, in a Freebuy to O Clássico (PT Tournament), I made this play.

I believe I had around 60% chance of getting one of the outs I needed. Was it a bad call to give it a shot and shove?

Thank you for your time
Az

Old
Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
***Moved to appropriate forum***

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I don't like the limp pre with blinds so high, I'm either shoving or folding in this spot with shoving my most likely (it would depend on how I thought the limper was playing)

On the flop I only count 9 outs for the flush draw because we don't know what our opponent has in this spot. As this is for my tournament life I'd err on folding, we don't have a made hand.

You counted 15 outs when the cards were seen which was correct and is around 60% and were unlucky not to hit but the bottom line is if we take the aggressive line here we may win without a showdown which would have added 1/4 to our stack.

Edit, Im not an official hand analyser, just giving my opinion.

Old
Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Agree with above - shove pre !

You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Old
Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2012
You had 52% equity on pokerstove and 60% using the rule of 2 and 4. The rule of 2 and 4 isn't accurate when you have more than 10 outs. If you have more than 10 outs you multiply by 2 or 4 as standard but then subtract the outs over 10 from the result.

So say you have 15 outs you do 15*4=60 then subtract 5 from 60 =55%.

Also shoving preflop is probably what I would of done as well.

Old
Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:59 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi tcpAz!

With this not being a league game, with about 10BB and AQs, I'm going to shove here preflop. I'll do this for two reasons. First, I don't want to let an opp see a card that can beat me. Secondly, a standard raise here would be to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I'd have to raise to 1000, which would be just short of making me pot-committed.
I would not want to open-limp, as an open-limp is a play that I do not want to make, as it gives the opps the correct odds to outdraw me.

The flop gives me a flush draw (9 outs) and two overcards, which may or may not be good for 6 more outs. Normally, in this situation, I'll discount at least 3 of these outs, if not all 6, as someone could have Ax and already have paired the board.
To call the shove, I need to put 3928 into a pot that will be 9806 (40%). If I only have 9 outs, my hand has 36% equity (4% per out as I'm guaranteed to see both streets. If any of my other possible outs are good, then calling the shove is a +EV play, as I'll be guaranteed at least 48% equity.

In a standard tourney, I'm going to open-shove here to maximize my fold equity.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:02 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
Unless I thought the Limper was a very trappy player highly likely to be limping a monster I'm shoving here pre flop. As played I think the flop call is probably good.
Rob.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com