Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Drawing Dead... :-/

Old
Drawing Dead... :-/ - Thu Dec 27, 2012, 07:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
WhiteStar
A Few Days Ago, I was managing a pretty solid TAG game loosening up as my bluffs gain credibility (tables are extremely loose and people would call you down with A High)

The issue in the last 48 hrs is that it seems as if I cannot catch a hand or a flop to save my life... My AQ (I dislike AQ severely) got boated by a 64 on a shove Preflop... My overcards are completely missing the flops... it seems as if the best I can get is two pair and then that gets whipped by a weird straight

How do you adjust you game when you just arent getting the hands or flops to actually be able to call past the Flop?

Old
Thu Dec 27, 2012, 09:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi I_Buy_House$!

Welcome to the forum. The way that I counteract going card dead is that I need to be playing less hands, especially out of position. I do not want to try to force it with cards that are no good. By not paying to see flops with marginal or bad hands, I can wait these stretches out.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Buy_House$ View Post
A Few Days Ago, I was managing a pretty solid TAG game loosening up as my bluffs gain credibility (tables are extremely loose and people would call you down with A High)

The issue in the last 48 hrs is that it seems as if I cannot catch a hand or a flop to save my life... My AQ (I dislike AQ severely) got boated by a 64 on a shove Preflop... My overcards are completely missing the flops... it seems as if the best I can get is two pair and then that gets whipped by a weird straight

How do you adjust you game when you just arent getting the hands or flops to actually be able to call past the Flop?

If your play is correct, then you're running into variance. The thing to ask yourself is how hard are you pushing these hands. With a loose table, try keeping it cheap through to the flop. Whenever those big cards miss, be willing to fold. As you know, the more in a hand, the worse the odds. Problem is the players are calling stations or don't know how poor that ace-trash really is. You cannot force these players out, so try seeing as much of the community as cheaply as possible and only bet when you have a very heavy favorite.

May I suggest you try playing the lower priced play money games for practice. The players there tend to be loose, so you'll get valuable experience before hitting the real money tables.

Just my take on it, for what it's worth.

Old
Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:02 AM
(#4)
I found handling massive variance swings one of the toughest things to learn in poker (still learning here btw.) It can be so frustrating, especially when you know it starts to effect your game and confidence.

I personally spend more time on hand histories than playing when I hit the really bad ones. I found it helps me in two ways. You'll either find some unknown leaks, or realize that your play was fairly solid and the number games just hit you like it does every1 else eventually.

You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 02:32 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
If they are calling down light, then DON'T BLUFF! Against calling stations, a weak-tight style works a treat. Bet/raise when you have the goods, check-fold when you don't. I'm not sure what stakes you play, but bluffing at microstakes isn't nearly as important as most beginners think. Other than c-betting, you should minimise your bluffs and stick to playing strong starting hands and betting strongly when you hit.

Quote:
Don't adjust your play because you're card dead or missing every flop. The cards you are dealt are random. Changing your style won't alter that. You just have to learn to be patient. Good things come to those who wait. Variance can be a P.I.T.A, but you really don't want to try messing with the Poker Gods. If you deviate from a winning strategy, you'll generally lose more money and just confuse yourself about what is really the way to make the money. Stay focused and just wait for your moment. If the flop is ugly, don't get tricky. Just get out and wait for a better spot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com