Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Wet board facing overbet on turn

Old
Wet board facing pot sized bet on turn - Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
edit: Pot sized, not overbet.

Sorry, this was on FT so the output won't work with the hand replayer.

Here is the hand:

Full Tilt Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players - http://www.handconverter.com/hands/2045956
The DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $2.31
UTG+1: $0.72
MP: $0.68
Hero (CO): $0.96
BTN: $1.26
SB: $0.27
BB: $2.71

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with Ks Kc
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.05, 2 folds, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.11) 9d 6d 7d (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.07, BB calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.25) 9c (2 players)
BB bets $0.25, Hero requests TIME, Hero folds

Notes:

- It's a shallow table hence the stack sizes.

- Villain is a TAG (16/12 over 50 or so hands).

In summary I just couldn't see what I was beating with a pot sized bet. So many draws got there, I thought it'd be best to fold.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by birdayy; Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 01:54 AM..

Old
Fri Dec 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

Interesting spot. I think from a TAG villain this line is mostly a value line, and certainly he can hold better hands like a made flush or some 9x (A9, J9s, T9s, 98s type hands). So folding is perfectly fine here imo. There is another possibility... he could hold a hand like TT-QQ that was looking for a safe turn card before committing more money, and now that he's got one is not going to allow AK or single diamonds to take a free river. (The 9 should look safe vs. the preflop raiser). If we feel like this could be happening a fair bit, the other option then is to call his turn bet, planning to fold to a river barrel, as he will usually check these worse hands to you on the river, and only bet again when he's got you beat. It's probably close either way. The only play I really don't like against this type of opponent is shoving the turn... as this is the type of player capable of bet/folding TT-QQ so it's hard to get called by too many worse hands but he'll clearly never fold better, so shoving value owns ourselves too much to be profitable imo. (Note: I'm somewhat discounting draws like the lone ace of diamonds, as this is not a common line a TAG takes on a draw).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com