Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Open Skill League Games

Old
Open Skill League Games - Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Are the final placings in the Open Skill league Games adjusted to account for the large amount of players who play in these freerolls but are not members of PokerSchoolOnline .

For example , if someone finishes 95 out of 10000 players and there are 6 non-member players still left , will that persons league spot be determined on them finishing 95th or 89th ?

Old
Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
(#2)
The short answer is NO.

Only the Leaderboard is adjusted accordingly, as only PSO members can acquire points.

Your finishing position in any single tourney, is your finishing position, period.

Hope this has cleared it up for you.

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 05:40 AM
(#3)
that doesnt make any sense
so if i finish in 200th place i only get points for finishing 200th even if there are 50 players still in , that are not PSO members , and cant accrue points . So , non-members can take points away from members , when they themselves cannot accrue any points . I wonder what genius thought up this idea .

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 06:57 AM
(#4)
Does anyone else think that PokerStars or PSO realised what a farce this league set up would become ?

I have just been informed that if i , for example , finish in 200th place out of 10000 and that the remaining 199 players are all non-members of PSO , I would only get points for finishing in 200th place , where as the non-members get no points , but take points away from PSO members . This seems a bit upside down to me .

Also , the fact that this is called a skill league is a bit of a misnomer . How anyone came up with the idea of a poker skill league where the optimal strategy to accrue points is to basically play NO hands is beyond me . A tournament structure where you have 10000 players playing with starting stacks of 35BBs , and 8 minute blind levels is just a bingo tournament . Say you have AA or KK early on , get involved in a pot which you dont win , then most likely you will be down to 20-25 BBs or less and be forced to basically sit out the rest of the tourney . And as is suggested on this site that AA is an easy fold pre flop if a bigger stack jams in front of you well ........

I am all for players learning to be patient but I think this set-up takes it too far . A league/tournament structure where less than 1% of players get any meaningful points , but at the same time league members are being peanlised by non-members appears to be ill-thought through .

I apologise to anyone who thinks this criticism is not constructive , but Pokerstars needs to learn to take constructive criticism as well as the pats on the back they think they deserve .

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 12:35 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasierbeams View Post
I have just been informed that if i , for example , finish in 200th place out of 10000 and that the remaining 199 players are all non-members of PSO , I would only get points for finishing in 200th place , where as the non-members get no points , but take points away from PSO members . This seems a bit upside down to me .
You'll still effectively be "taking points away from" PSO members that busted before you, so would move up the overall leaderboard a little.

I share some of your concerns about the structure, but it's not as if you're forced to play at gunpoint, is it?
Without wanting to sound like a brown-noser, Stars offers the widest choice of tournaments and more freerolls than any other site. I personally hate turbos and rebuys... so I don't play them. The PSO leagues also require more of a time committment than I'm prepared to give them right now, but plenty of other members have found them an educational (and profitable!) use of their time.

Old
Mon Dec 31, 2012, 03:07 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasierbeams View Post
Does anyone else think that PokerStars or PSO realised what a farce this league set up would become ?

A

Points are awarded for your finishing position, The only ones who this affects are the non pso members who miss out ion the chance to play for the money the league offers.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
(#7)
It seems you can actually make the $2.50 payout level by just registering for tournaments and not playing them. I did one this morning, finished well into the points (in the 1600s). So while before I did tend to play them and occasionally finish inside the top 1000 for bigger points, it seems I could just register for all the tourneys and sit out every one of them and still get points. It seems to be free money, although $2.50 per month is not that much.

Last edited by IroncladMerc; Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: clarifiying

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
The $2.50 is insignificant, but you can also get promoted to the Premier League using this method, where the prizes are much more substantial.

Old
Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:03 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
The $2.50 is insignificant, but you can also get promoted to the Premier League using this method, where the prizes are much more substantial.

You actually can make it into the Premier League using the above method as was proven by a member. He entered quite a few tourneys and sat out all of them and was able to get into the 700's with around 2100 pts. on the leaderboard. The top 500 with 20+ VPPs make it into league and it appears that often, there are a lot of members who haven't accumulated this many VPPs. Consequently, the players outside of the top 500 with 20+ VPPs can get the Premier League ticket. Here's ,my question though: if you can't handle the bad players, is it logical to think that you will do that much better playing against better players? I have learned to love bad players.

To address the points allocation concern of frasierbeams, points are NOT being taken away from you if you finish below non-members. You get points for where you finish, period. The formula to calculate points can be found >HERE<. The tournament is open to all, hence the name "Open Skill League". Don't be fooled by the majority of players who enter though, because it's no easy task to make it into the big money at the top of the standings.

Hope this helps.

Follow me on Twitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com