Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Ggervacio January 2013 Goal

Old
Ggervacio 2013 Goal - Tue Jan 01, 2013, 06:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
I was reading Sandtrap777 2012 Goal... I guess the key to setting up a goal is to write something concrete or measurable. If you want to watch videos as part of skill building, write how many videos you are going to watch monthly, as opposed to just saying "watch more videos".

Below is my initial draft based on my rough estimates. I will do my best to stick to these figures and make adjustments for the succeeding months based on actual results.

While my current bankroll allows me to play 90man at $1-$2 level, record shows I am more profitable at 50 cents. Also, the added buffer i get for playing at lower level further insulate me from tilt. I can have my Aces cracked 5 times in each session and still don't care.

Monthly Goal
I don't have a yearly goal yet so I will just start with a monthly goal of $80 net profit playing $0.50 90man Turbos. My 2012 record shows I have played 409 games (on & off) and made a net profit of $55.02. This gives me an ROI of 27% or $0.135 profit per game. So, for me to reach my $80 target, I need to play 600 games in a month, as long as I can maintain my ROI. I will play a total of 20 days to give me a 2 days off/rest each week.

Besides my regular grind, I will also be playing in the Premiere League

Weekly Goal
- 150 games of 90man at $0.5 (20~30 hours a week)
- watch 2 videos
- review hands or read book 2 hour
- post 3 hands for evaluation
- 100 hands in ICM trainer
- Earn 150 VPP for the Premiere League
- 5 Premiere League Tourney
- Participate in Bankroll-Coop weekly game

Hopefully, upon reaching $500-$1000 bankroll, I may be able to project some long term goals. As of now, I really do not know exactly where I am at poker.

Should you have any comment or suggestion, feel free to post on this thread.

Last edited by ggervacio; Tue Jan 01, 2013 at 06:33 AM..

Old
Tue Jan 01, 2013, 09:17 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
BronzeStar
Great goals ggervacio!
Excited to see your progress!

Happy new year!! and run like a god

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:15 AM
(#3)
Thanks for the support Beerzy.

I started very slow on my challenge. There are lots of unavoidable circumstances and energy being focused on some other projects other than poker. Well here's an update as of now:

Weekly Goal
- 150 games of $0.5 90man : 104 games, bankroll -$4.66
- watch 2 videos : 1 video of 50cents 90man turbo
- review hands or read book 2 hour : 1 hour
- post 3 hands for evaluation : done, see below
- 100 hands in ICM trainer : done 84% accuracy
- Earn 150 VPP for the Premiere League : 30.55 VPP
- 5 Premiere League Tourney : 3 games, 826th position
- Participate in Bankroll-Coop weekly game : done

Here's a few hands:

Got a Big One, but I am not sure I am making the right amount of bet here. Unfortunately I can't get my HUD to work on the replayer, so I don't have any info on the players. Practically playing based on hand strength and betting patterns only.

Had a good flop, but the King was not what I wanted on the turn, especially when he still called my bet. I thought I was beat already, but I could not just check the river.
Any comments on my betting? I would like to hear it.

I had less than 20BB. If I raise x2.5 and they called and 10+ cards shows, I will definitely fold and get more shortstacked. Pot is almost half my stack so I decided to shove and try to get them to fold immediately. I do believe i have the best hand. Any comments?

Last edited by ggervacio; Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:35 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:15 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

Don't forget that if you want to qualify for the >>Time Vault<< you will also need to write a blog about your challenge in the >>Blog<< section.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2011
BronzeStar
Will try to give some opinion about those plays, keep in mind I don't play those sng's

#1 Good raise pf, i would presonally made it 700 but 625 it's ok too I guess, post flop, i really don't like your raise to 750, seems way to small for me, I would have made it like 1100 or + for both protection (brodways, flushdraw, straightD,Ax TK, if they're calling a 500 raise they're calling a 810) and value even tough you floped so well you don't want to let them hit their hands so easially right?(You're giving them 7 to 1 and that's bad) + it would disguise your hand and maybe would make you get 3 streets of value

Not playing it exactly the same, but check/calling the river unless i knew something about him, you are ahead alot of times but not enough to value bet there imo, but I gess shoving would be fine too and a std bet that one it's difficult with no reads or stats
And lil bit of wierd bet sizes but it worked
(I would value bet if i rly hadn't paid attention and no stats)

std
bl it happens

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:26 AM
(#6)
[QUOTE=beerzy19;388379]Will
Not playing it exactly the same, but check/calling the river unless i knew something about him, you are ahead alot of times but not enough to value bet there imo, but I gess shoving would be fine too and a std bet that one it's difficult with no reads or stats
And lil bit of wierd bet sizes but it worked
(I would value bet if i rly hadn't paid attention and no stats)

Appreciate very much the feedback Beerzy.

I decided to min raise preflop. Post flop and river, I bet around half of the pot (+/-).
On the river, i was a bit hesitant that I might be beat by a fullhouse or flush. So I guess Im was not exactly sure how much to bet. If he calls my last bet and I beat him, it's ok that I didn't squeeze out more from him. I still win a big pot. But I was actually bracing myself for a 3bet on the river, even a shove(bluff), and I was not ready to get all-in with him. I also thought with a low bet on the river, he might think, I just want to squeeze a few more from him.

How much would you bet on the river if it was you?

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:02 AM
(#7)
Update on my challenge:

As much as I want to keep a regular grinding schedule, I found myself grinding, sometimes deep into the night, or during mid-day, or in the wee hours of the morning before the rooster is able to crow thrice.

I knew I was not logging the minimum time in my plan as there are some days I missed grinding, even during weekends. If I stick to my plan grinding the 50cents 90man turbos, I won't be able to reach my 150 VPPs target which is very important for my Premiere League. So I had to drastically veer away from my original plan. Besides, I was not getting good result with the 90man turbos.

Was thinking of going back to $1.5 90man KO or $2.5, but I really have no time to grind long hours, and I am beginning to get tired of it. So I decided to take a stab again at the $1.5 9man. I tried a few games, 1 table at a time. I did not expect I will get good results. Up to now I am still playing 9man regular speed, even jumped to $3.5 from time to time if im getting really good result in the $1.5. And today, I started multi-tabling(4). Hopefully, I can stay and advance in the 9man SNG permanently, and that this is not just a spike on the graph.

Goal Updates:
- 47 games of $1.5 9man : added $28 profit

- watch videos : total of 5 so far (Spacegravy's SNG series)

- review hands or read book 2 hour : still only 1 hour logged

- post hands for evaluation : still only 3 posted

- hands in ICM trainer : did another 500 with 85% accuracy (+1% improvement)

- Earn 150 VPP for the Premiere League : 158.90 VPP (done for this month, so I just need to do good with the League next month)

- Premiere League Tourney : 11 games total, 722th position, i think i will be in a tight spot again this month.

- Participate in Bankroll-Coop weekly game : only 2 active participation out of the supposed 3.

Other Tourneys :
- besides grinding the 9man, I also played more than my usual amount of tournaments and satellites. This is where the rest of profit and VPPs came. The following, i think are worth mentioning:

- won $11 in $2.20 Sunday Storm Sat (for the TCOOP Coop Group)

- from Storm Sat tourney$ we got $27 TCOOP ticket

- the group decided to chip in $6 more so we can join TCOOP #13 instead. We finished in 300+ place and got $80, half of which i get to keep. The rest went to the group.

- won another TCOOP ticket worth $27 playing $0.2 rebuy satellite.

- I finally get to convert to Tourney$ the $33 Speedway
tickets I've been saving for about a year now. Still having second thought of entering TCOOP #44 as I initially planned. As I have already converted it to Tourney$, I can enter smaller Tourneys instead of risking huge part of this month's profit on 1 Tourney.

- Played 2 $2.20 1R1A and cashed in 1 tourney, think i was just about break-even.

Bankroll
- Based on Playing History Audit from PS, total profit for this month so far is up by $100+ which probably includes Tourney$ from my Speedway Ticket ($33) and prize from last month's Premiere League ($20). So I would estimate a +$50 profit from this month's grinding.

I guess that's it for now. Hope to post some hands before the month is over.

Goodnight and goodluck at the tables.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#8)
Looks like i'm forgetting the basics... am I suppose to raise here? and how much?

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:07 PM
(#9)
How would you play this?

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:19 PM
(#10)
Somehow, my instinct tells me that I am already beat. And I finally listened.

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:26 PM
(#11)
Is it right for me to fold here?

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:18 PM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
Its hard for us to comment on your hands without some reads.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:16 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I kept my goals really broad and vague (goal for 2013: to try and play better lol), so it's cool to see somebody take another route and lay out some measurable goals.

Am really enjoying seeing you updating them throughout the month with the red text

GL with your Challenge!!

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:17 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Its hard for us to comment on your hands without some reads.

Grade b
Thanks for comment Grade B. Right now I can not get my HUD to work on my replayer. Im using HM2. so, as much as I want it to post VPIP/PFR stats, I can't. And I can't remember much of the game i just previously played... a handicap of mine... I'll edit the hands i posted and put some reads if i can find out what i am doing wrong with HM2.

Old
Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
I kept my goals really broad and vague (goal for 2013: to try and play better lol), so it's cool to see somebody take another route and lay out some measurable goals.

Am really enjoying seeing you updating them throughout the month with the red text

GL with your Challenge!!
The red text thing, i probably saw it from a forum post here, could be from Sandtrap777 too, just like the "measurable" thing. I guess each goal is situational for every player, and your goal to become a better player is a very good goal everyone should strive for. But that would make playing poker more difficult, especially if everyone caught on to it!

Good luck too on your challenge

Old
Sat Jan 26, 2013, 04:08 AM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2010
nice profit gg

good luck

Old
Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:01 AM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsytan View Post
nice profit gg

good luck
Thanks Marvin, I had a good run this month.

Old
Recapping January 2013 - Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:40 AM
(#18)
January is almost over, so I am going to take it easy and resume my grinding next month. The question is, did I reach my goal of $80?

PROFIT
My Player History Audit (Jan 1-28,2013) from Pokerstars shows I made an overall profit of $60+. My last game was TCOOP #44 which was a $33. I was having second thought of joining it, but I thought I need to experience it and it was not a big risk to my total bankroll. Had I not played in it, I may have reached my target profit.

GAMES

Most of the profit came from $1.5 9man SNGs, $2.20 1R1A, TCOOP #13, and some tournament satellites. I had to abort the original plan to grind in the 50 cents 90man turbos. I was just getting break-even on the first week of grinding, and I was not logging the minimum time I have set to reach 150 VPPs. So I had to make some changes and adapt to the situation.

VPPs
I did meet the 150 VPP target around the end of the third week. Total VPPs accumulated this month is 188.59, and I got Chrome Star.

PREMIERE LEAGUE

Currently in 739th position after 15 games. There are only 12 more games left in the league. So, the remaining goal for the rest of January is to play as many Premier League I can and move up the ladder as high as I can, and get additional bankroll.

ICM TRAINER
Logged 500 hands and scored 85%

VIDEOS, REVIEW HANDS
I did not get to watch as many videos, nor review and post hands. So, I really need to work on them next month, but I may also have to lower my target to somewhat a little more than the actual I made and just build up gradually.

BANKROLL COOP
The Group Coop was very busy this month especially because of the TCOOP. I was able to satellite my way to the TCOOP #13 and won around $80, 50% i get to keep and the rest went to those who participated. We are hoping we can get into the main TCOOP event and run very very deep, if not the first.

Overall, had a good run this January. Got to play in two big tourneys worth $33 each, won some profit, got my VPPs in case I win big in the Premiere League. Will need to set new goals for February, hope to post them soon.

Last edited by ggervacio; Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 03:52 AM..

Old
Plans and Goals for February 2013 Time Vault Challenge - Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:24 AM
(#19)
Goals for February

Activities for next month is focused on developing my grinding discipline. Daily grind is set for quick 9man SNGs games for about 2-3 hours instead of grinding large field which can last for 5 hours or more which may result in me burning out.

Premiere League - Finish in Top 200.
I still think PL is won by quality of games and not quantity, or at least I think it should. So, I will not set a target number of games here except for the minimum of 5.

ICM Trainer - 1000 hands, 86%

$1.5 SNG - 300 games
This January, I was able to logged around 260 games total with my poor irregular schedule. I think 300 is very much possible if i put a little more effort. I will have to concentrate most of my effort in this game though, and avoid other games. I am looking at around 3 hours per day grind with breaks on weekends.

$2.20 1R1A - at least 1 game
So far, I cashed in 2 out 3 games. I like the limited rebuy structure. I can compete with players with huge bankroll who can sometimes abuse the unlimited re-buy structure. If you get a bad beat, you still get a 2nd chance to win.

Bankroll Coop - Participate weekly at least
This is where satellites to big tournaments will come. Support from the group is invaluable and motivates you to work harder. You get a chance to play tournaments that is usually beyond your current bankroll. You can find more info here: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ankroll-Co-op.

Watch Videos - 5 videos

Review and Post Hands - 6 hours
I know I should spend more time on this, but this is a habit I still need to develop and I will not stress myself during the process so I am going to do this gradually

Profit - $100
If I can maintain a profit of 40 cents per game in $1.5 SNG, this is possible, otherwise, I will have to earn profit on my other games.

Plans and goals I have set for February is directly related from the results of January. Now I know what is possible and what is impossible for me to set. So if ever I reach the goal I have set, I will raise my next month's goal a notch higher so as not to stress myself. Besides, it's much more fun if you accomplish little goals instead of failing on reaching a very big goal.

Good Day and Good Luck at the Tables

Last edited by ggervacio; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM..

Old
February Updates - Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:43 PM
(#20)
Goals for February... UPDATES

It's already half of the month, so time for some updates.

Premiere League - Finish in Top 200.
Currently in 429th after 5 games.

ICM Trainer - 1000 hands, 86%
- none so far

$1.5 SNG - 300 games
Played around 57 games during the first week. It was a good first week. I thought I will be playing 9man SNG for the rest of the month. But downswing hit and eats up all the profit I made (big hump on the graph). If there is a comfort food in poker, mine would be the 25 cents 90man. I tried to max out the tables I can play at one time. It turns out I can play 12 tables and still be profitable, well at least in the 25 cents. I can probably play more, but my tiny laptop begins to stutter and freeze above 10 tables (this is the part that slowly climbs up the profit line). With my confidence up again and with a feeling that the downswing is over, i moved up to $1.5 90man KO and logged around 19 games with good profit return (last part of the graph). Total games played so far, around 140+ games.

Monthly VPPs - 150 Pts
Accumulated 109 points. This is mostly for Premiere League. Not yet targeting any stars.

$2.20 1R1A - at least 1 game
- none so far

Watch Videos - 5 videos
- watched at least 2 videos.

Review and Post Hands - 6 hours
- I think about an 1 hour.

Profit - $100
- PS History Audit shows I'm up by $75+. $20 of which comes from last month's Premiere League. And another $20 came from Battle of the Planets SNG Leaderboard bonus. So, I guess I still profited from those 1.5 SNG. If only PS have Leaderboard bonus for 90man... Leaderboard bonus is something I should take a look again next month. I thought it was impossible to qualify in the top 100, but I am wrong.

So, I am veering off from the plan again. Instead of playing shorter games of 9man, I am back to playing long hours of 90man, which is quite tiring. But that's where the profit is and that is where I am sticking... for now. I will call this "following the path with the least resistance!" I think this is good. Instead of me sulking around and not playing because of downswing and low morale, I was still able make a little profit during the difficult times. Overall, I'm running good the first half of February!

PS. I have added the BIG BANG promo as part of this month's goal. Im 1 out of 3 so far.

Last edited by ggervacio; Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com