Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Shedule pressure!

Old
Shedule pressure! - Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
I have put this in beginners, because I feel like a beginner asking this question.

And a shedule is a new thing to me,

So ok, ropey start, feeling the pressure of a shedule. I know if I play too many in one day, there will be days of the week when I have no games left.

I'm also trying a bit too hard, not to be in the red first week.
This is causing me too be to nitty or to loose.

I'm panicking all ready guys and it's only two days in.

I need to relax, I have brought it on myself by giving it the I am the man.

Putting pressure to deliver results..

words of wisdom any one?

Old
Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Motivation's kind of a funny thing because while setting measurable goals might work for some people, it seems to have the opposite effect on me

That being said, I work as hard as anybody - usually it's because I want to be thorough so people will be able to feel like they can count on me? Except here I'm just playing poker for me, and I'm still working my butt off, so I'm not sure what keeps me motivated ... I guess I just really like it?

Maybe it's important to find what'll work to motivate you to keep going, through the good and the bad? Then when you find that, playing won't feel like such a chore?

GL holdem!! You can do it!!

Old
Tue Jan 01, 2013, 11:56 PM
(#3)
Thank you Sam, Yes I love the game too, that's why I can't keep off it. I'm not addicted, but it's the best entertainment money can buy for value.
My cigarettes cost more than a game.

And yes it feels like a chore doing a shedule, my problem is I just want to play.
But I know if I come of the shedule, I have no discipline at all, and I think that is something I need.

It's nearly 5 a.m here, I think i'm just tripping out lol, letting a bit of tilt in a couple of games bother me.

Thanks Sam,

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:06 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Where is it written thou must play X games per day? Consider the schedule a maximum that is not to be exceeded. If you feel too pressured to profit, the results usually fall short. Better you play fewer games and profit than your full allotment and see a negative ROI.

As to the boasting, thought that comes to mind is "Pride goeth before the fall." Suggest you learn how crow taste, you may have to feast on it.

Consider that your motivation.

Old
re post - Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:07 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2011
we have a great boxer from oz, anthony mundine, he also ran his mouth like a know all before his boxing debut and in his first professional fight a bloke (german i think) named sven ottke introduced him to a canvas bed,and an all expenses paid trip to lala land, slightly humbled by this and i would imagine a little embarrassed after his gloves didnt match the expectations his mouth promised, he did not give up,but worked hard and became probably what most would argue, one of the better boxers around today, in the weight classes he contends in. he still suffers losses, and after some consistent successes at a world class level, still continues to run his mouth,

i guess the point is work hard, become better, prove yourself by consistent positive results over a long period, and then you can say as you please, without fear of ridicule or embarrassment.

gl for the year to you holdem, and all others here

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
Schedule, not shedule.

Too, not 'to nitty'.

Already, not 'all ready'.

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:11 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
Where is it written thou must play X games per day? Consider the schedule a maximum that is not to be exceeded. If you feel too pressured to profit, the results usually fall short. Better you play fewer games and profit than your full allotment and see a negative ROI.

As to the boasting, thought that comes to mind is "Pride goeth before the fall." Suggest you learn how crow taste, you may have to feast on it.

Consider that your motivation.
When asked to select games for his bankroll I asked him "if" he was to lose every game "how" long would he want his BR to last. He chose 12 weeks.

Now here's the important part Ole Hedgehog, He want's to play more than that and not the way you saw it as him trying to meet a quota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
Schedule, not shedule.

Too, not 'to nitty'.

Already, not 'all ready'.
Go find something better to do with your time. You know.... maybe play some poker or something.

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:18 AM
(#8)
As far as the schedule goes hold'em it's up to you. We discussed the benefits of taking breaks and clearing the mind and we chose 12 weeks for a period of longevity for your bankroll "if" you were to lose every game.

The truth is if you win as should be expected then your roll will last much longer than that. You are rolled for 100 games each format and 60 buy-ins on cash rings, if you want to play more than the selected amount feel free to, You are still budgeted whether you play all 100 games in 4 weeks, 8 weeks, or 12+ weeks.

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker41673 View Post
As far as the schedule goes hold'em it's up to you. We discussed the benefits of taking breaks and clearing the mind and we chose 12 weeks for a period of longevity for your bankroll "if" you were to lose every game.

The truth is if you win as should be expected then your roll will last much longer than that. You are rolled for 100 games each format and 60 buy-ins on cash rings, if you want to play more than the selected amount feel free to, You are still budgeted whether you play all 100 games in 4 weeks, 8 weeks, or 12+ weeks.

Thank you Jason, I just don't want to lose my roll, panicking a bit other nothing really, Yes I said that, and thank you for reminding me of why I need to keep on track, that I wanted at least 12 weeks worth for it..

And yes I wanted to play more than my weekly schedule.
I got it now, feeling the pressures going, it is a new think to me never never had had a skedule b4 tis 1, to it be a thew weaks b4 he git yous 2 u tit.

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:26 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
Putting pressure to deliver results..
Results oriented thinking is -EV. You can never control the results. You can only try to make the best decisions possible one at a time.

This is why brutally honest self evaluation is so critical in the game as it lets you find the bad decisions, aka leaks, you are making so you can address them. Set aside some time each and every day you play for this look inside your game.

Good decisions for the bankroll!

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:36 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
Results oriented thinking is -EV. You can never control the results. You can only try to make the best decisions possible one at a time.
+1000000

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#12)
Since: Nov 2007
I am going to chip in here with a bit of advice.

I have had a look at your schedule:

8 X 25c 45 mans X 12 weeks = $24.00

8 X 10c $50 added X 12 weeks= $ 9.60

$5 X 12 weeks cash = $60.00

Apart from the cash where you can continue playing if you make a profit there is no real opportunity of growing your bankroll with so few games per week unless you bink one of the $50 added.

I know that this is a sound plan to keep your bankroll intact for 12 weeks and I hope you are in profit by the end of it but 16 tournies a week is not a lot of games.

I would suggest you take $5 of your bankroll and play 20 X 25cent 45 mans at whatever schedule you please. Put standard stakeback and makeup into the formula with a 50/50 split. 50% back to your bankroll and 50% to you to do what you wish with. Run it like Marvin's stake with Baud2Death and I am confident that you can profit from it and it will also take the pressure off your schedule.

I notice that sometimes you get so wrapped up in things like theories perhaps even schedules that you lose focus and discipline by trying to overcontrol the things that you cannot control. As Joe says just keep making the right decisions and evaluate and fix the wrong decisions and your bankroll and profit will take care of itself.

I have watched you play a lot; you can play TAG which is certainly the way to be profitable at the 25c 45 mans; the trick is to keep playing so consistently until you grow a decent bankroll to move up in stakes or to other formats.

I for one am pretty confident you can do it if you stay disciplined and focused.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 03:41 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I am going to chip in here with a bit of advice.

I have had a look at your schedule:

8 X 25c 45 mans X 12 weeks = $24.00 +4 games = $25

8 X 10c $50 added X 12 weeks= $ 9.60 +4 games = $10

$5 X 12 weeks cash = $60.00

Apart from the cash where you can continue playing if you make a profit there is no real opportunity of growing your bankroll with so few games per week unless you bink one of the $50 added.

I know that this is a sound plan to keep your bankroll intact for 12 weeks and I hope you are in profit by the end of it but 16 tournies a week is not a lot of games.

I would suggest you take $5 of your bankroll and play 20 X 25cent 45 mans at whatever schedule you please. Put standard stakeback and makeup into the formula with a 50/50 split. 50% back to your bankroll and 50% to you to do what you wish with. Run it like Marvin's stake with Baud2Death and I am confident that you can profit from it and it will also take the pressure off your schedule.

I notice that sometimes you get so wrapped up in things like theories perhaps even schedules that you lose focus and discipline by trying to overcontrol the things that you cannot control. As Joe says just keep making the right decisions and evaluate and fix the wrong decisions and your bankroll and profit will take care of itself.

I have watched you play a lot; you can play TAG which is certainly the way to be profitable at the 25c 45 mans; the trick is to keep playing so consistently until you grow a decent bankroll to move up in stakes or to other formats.

I for one am pretty confident you can do it if you stay disciplined and focused.

Cheers,

TC
Hey there Top good to see ya' again.
Hold'em dropped a set of games from the schedule. Originally I had him for 100 games of the 10c 360man SNGs. I think this was done because his final deposit was less than what was expected. I do agree with you with that he could easily drop the ring games for one week and combine it with the extra $5 he has in his roll and refinance these games into his schedule.

The part I have to disagree with is jumping into 25c games with less than enough for 100 games. At this time we are not sure how well he will do and until some results are proven robbing Peter to pay Paul is not recommended. If in the course of this month we find he is doing good (lets say and I do hope) the ring games he could take some profit and schedule himself for 100 buy-ins of a 25c 90man SNGs.

Either or both of these could be done but until a profit is made I really don't want him to risk buy-ins for one game to use on another format. I would rather see him over play the games that are set and run them in 6 weeks before that so we can get some results and evaluate his progress.

Nice seeing you again and maybe you could stop by in the club sometime for a visit. We are having a tourney on Sunday at 12:30 EST which should fit into your time zone.

Last edited by joker41673; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 03:43 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#14)
Since: Nov 2007
Hey Jason,

Good to see you are still around too. Belated Happy New Year and I will certainly try to drop into the Home Game at some point

I can see your point but still think 8 games a week is quite a small amount and one where any of us could quickly get disheartened if the results were not positive. I am not a fan of the 10 cent games, even the $50 added ones as they are so high variance. Certainly your idea of not investing in another format without making a profit first is common sense and good bankroll management.

Maybe holdem could set up a stake thread for something like the cowboy challenge. The idea is as much a distraction and taking the pressure off although I am pretty confident Holdem could take 25 buyins of 25 cents and double his roll over 100 games as many have done on the site before.

In any case it is good to see someone giving holdem the backup and support to become a profitable and disciplined player. I hope he can prove to himself and everyone else that it is achievable.

Cheers,

Tony

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 04:42 PM
(#15)
Let's look at the broad picture. You have set yourself a goal. Goals are not realized by magic. It takes time and effort to achieve them. A major portion of the time and effort must be invested in developing a plan. You don't climb a mountain without a plan. You shouldn't even go to the store without a plan, aka shopping list.

A functional plan breaks the goal into steps with checkpoints and timetables. Good plans also contain contingencies for when you get off course. I encourage you use the PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) method to keep yourself on track.

Poker, as in life, is not always easy. Please remember these two thoughts:

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Failure to plan is planning to fall. - too lazy to look attribution

Good ddecision .

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#16)
Hey Top,

The original schedule allows for 8 games a week per format which comes to 24 games a week plus an extra 4 games per format that could be thrown in at any time. As it is now he is allowed to play 16 games a week with 8 extras to be played sometime throughout the 12 weeks as well as his ring table sessions which if he does well can go on indefinitely.

And as i said above I don't see anything wrong with him stacking up and going for 6 weeks or 8 weeks which will allow more games a week. All he has to do is let me know and I will rework the schedule to reflect this.

Last edited by joker41673; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: I'm cooking so sue me

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:48 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Hey holdem, I made a little graph of your progress so far (based on the results you posted in your blog: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ces-2013-goals)

If you update those regularly, I'll keep updating the graph for you!

I learned how to better stick to a grinding schedule and better record-keep from 19honu62 when he was organizing the Cowboy Challenge. And getting to see that I wasn't doing nearly as badly as it sometimes felt at the tables was one of the nicest benefits to come out of learning to better record-keep for me, so maybe it might do the same for you?

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:07 PM
(#18)
Thank you all for the great support and help and advice.

Yes I actually dropped one format due to wanting to start on 1st JAN, and my cheque was not quite cleared, so was less of a BR .

I thank you all , disaster from the start, but not a wipe out at least, I can see why BRM is important.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com