Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hand of a rookie for evaluation

Old
Hand of a rookie for evaluation - Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012

It's one of my first experiments. The queen at the river was like the manna of course.

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi slenderboy1!

What type of tournament was this from and did you have any reads on the opponents??? Especially the tournament type can influence what I'd do in the hand, as different tournaments have different strategies. Please advise and I'll be happy to go thru the hand for you.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Question
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 03:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2012
Hi John!
It was from Hubble's Freeroll. I'm very much intrigued by your statement:different tournaments have different strategies. I thought the strategy was one: to make the best out of each and every hand. Or was I not right?

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 05:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi slenderboy1!

I want to make the best decisions for every hand. That's my goal when playing and to do that, different types of tourneys need to be looked at slightly differently to be able to make the best decision. MTT's are different than STT's, are diffrent from satellites that are different from league games. What may apply to one won't necessarily apply to another.

ex: in a satellite, once I reach the amount of chips that I need to obtain a ticket, I don't care how good of a hand I get... I'm NOT playing it. Or, in a league game, the only goal is to last as long as possible, regardless of how many chips I have and due to that, I do not want to put all my chips in unless I'm sure that I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board and need to be much more conservative.

With QQ from UTG in an MTT, I want to make a standard opening raise, which for this blind level is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With no limpers, I'll raise to 3BB or 30. I want to keep my bets standard, as players that change around their bet sizes can easily give a tell as to the strength of their hand. By me making the same raise with AA, 77, 33, AK, JTs or a total bluff... the opps have no idea what my cards really are.

I see the flop 7 handed and see an overcard. This is a problem, as with this many opps in the hand, someone most likely has a K and has me beat. Since I'm out of position (a big disadvantage), I'll make a standard c-bet here both for value and to try to see where I'm at in the hand. If I was heads-up in the hand, I'd bet 1/2 pot, but with this many opps, I'll make a pot sized bet (285). If I'm called, I won't bet again unless my hand improves and if I'm raised, I can easily get out of the hand, as I know that I'm beat. I also do not want to bet less, as this will not thin the field and get any of the opps to fold and also will give the opps the correct odds to draw to beat me (especially with a flush draw available).

The turn gives another flush draw. With opps that called my pot bet on the flop, I'm going to check on the turn for pot control. If any of the opps make a sizable bet, I need to muck my QQ here and will do so.

The river gives me a set of Q's and I now want to make a value bet and will size it at... whatever amount I think the opps will call. I don't want to bet too low and lose chips, but I don't want to bet too high and have them fold either. Normally I'll try betting 1/3 to 1/2 pot here.

The keys with this hand are the bet sizes. I need to size them to take advantage of my premium hand and to make playing the hand easier, especially since I'm out of position.

Also, another thing that I do NOT want to do as a poker player is to be results oriented. What I want to do is to make the best decision possbile at that given point in time, as that is the one and only thing that I have control over.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 02, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderboy1 View Post
Hi John!
It was from Hubble's Freeroll. I'm very much intrigued by your statement:different tournaments have different strategies. I thought the strategy was one: to make the best out of each and every hand. Or was I not right?

Hi slenderboy,welcome to the Forum.

YES,making the best (most +EV) decision each and every hand is the goal.

But,there are different structures and different formats that mean that oft times what is +EV in one can be much less so,sometimes even -EV,in another.

As John pointed out,a Hubbles is a satellite. The only goal here,or in any other Astronomer's Freeroll,is to get that Weekly Round 2 ticket. Not only are all other considerations secondary,they simply don't exist.

I would be curious to know what you had been playing that had seen you bleed off half of your stack already in Level I to begin with,you really want to play these TIGHT,TIGHT,TIGHT in the early blind levels. If you think you're playing too tight,tighten up even more. Get a big hand like AA or KK,sometimes QQ,then play it fast and for stacks. You WILL get called with worse,actually you'll get called with ATC more often than not in the early stages of these. Hell,most of the way through there will be players capable of this.

Remember,the objective early in these is to protect your stack and let bleed off not so much as even 1 chip if possible with bad to middling hands and try to get stacked off by the dummies with your big hands. You want as many chips as possible for the bubble in these.

And when and if you do get to the ticket bubble,if you have more than enough chips to get the ticket then pretty much you should just fold everything,even AA,and bend your time clock as much as possible to get other players to bleed off. When Americans could play here once I figured out the true objective of the Astronomer/Weekly Round 2 path (get ticket---enter WR2 with ticket--win as much FREE $ as possible in WR2...) I would always just sit out if I was sure that I had more than enough chips to turtle home to a ticket in any Astronomers I was entered in.

The ticket is EVERYTHING here.

It gets you to a Weekly Round 2 of your choice,which all have a $2000 prize pool. FREE MONEY for the taking. Get the tickets,if you are just starting out and are trying to freeroll a bankroll then you should be playing as many Astronomers to get as many Weekly Round 2 tickets as you can.

Here's a free tip---learn the rules for games like RAZZ,2-7 No Limit Single Draw and Badugi. If you enter the Astronomer's for these games and have even the most basic grasp of the game down then you'll be ahead of 95% of the field. They are much softer touches for tickets than the Hubbles are actually.

Two things I'll add to John's HA on the hand you've shown here...the bet sizing by you when you lead out after the flop,you bet 10 chips into a 285 chip pot. That's bad and you may as well just check here,rather than throw a 10 chip bet into the middle. No one is going to fold over 10 chips in a 285 chip pot and if they do you can feel free to mark them as a complete fish.

Secondly,on the river when you get your river Q for the set...when villain 5 leads out for 110 and you have 700 left in front of you and villain 5 had only 400 left in front of them after the raise...SHOVE YOUR STACK here. You WILL get called by any K,some hands with an 8 in them and even Ace high hands will occasionally call. You would and will be amazed what will call you in these for stacks,especially in the early levels. I guarantee you villain 5 is calling off their stack all day long here and villain 1,if they have a K,will call your 700 shove here as well most times.

Good luck out there,DO NOT get frustrated by the litany of ridiculous beats that you are going to take in freerolls,bad players have only one way to win and that's by sheer luck. If you become a solid player you will ALWAYS be on the wrong side of that equation simply because you'll be making sound decisions and therefore rely on luck less than the bad players.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com