Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How to combat the losing streak

Old
How to combat the losing streak - Thu Jan 03, 2013, 08:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
And no - no answer here. I'm looking for one....

Over the past week or so, lady luck appears to have abandoned me. Yes, I have the occasional win, but nowhere near enough to make up. I've been looking back at the hands where I lost big pots.

My pocket pairs are not holding up, small pairs consistently get beat by an ace on the board or worse, big pairs get no action. The kind where you have jacks, you make a big preflop bet, pick up a caller, and you value bet the flop, turn and river and he calls every street. Too bad the river Q paired his QT off. The kind where you get it allin with AK on an Ace high flop and the guy calls with A3 suited and biks a flush on the river. The kind where the last 12 times I had KK or AA, I picked up the blinds because everyone folded...

So how do you handle it. For now, I'm taking a few days off and hope things go better next week....

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 10:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
I thought that kind of thing only happened to me.

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 10:14 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
I had a streak like this through December, it was the first time I've ever considered myself to run bad, although it was only for a month. I was making the right plays but things didn't seem to be coming together, I decided to drop down from 5nl to 2nl where I knew I could beat the game easily and it really helped.

I spent the time at the lower level analysing my play more deeply, seeing what I might have done wrong. I found that although I was running below what was expected, I had started getting myself into some quite marginal spots. In a way I feel hitting a bad streak of luck really benefitted me as I improved my game as a result of it.

A break might do it for you but for me I found that I still wanted to play. Dropping down to a lower level of competition gave me a confidence boost. I continued to play throughout December and was lucky enough to go on a sick heater at the end of the month.

I hope you get your confidence and enjoyment of the game back soon.

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 10:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
A few days off to avoid the tilt.

PATIENTS! PATIENTS! followed by some more PATIENTS!

Do not change your gameplay if you have a winning formula, stick to your game, do not allow yourself to get drawn into the action because your not running good and last but not least, if you was a mile ahead in a pot and they sucked out on you then that's there bad not yours, so take comfort from knowing this.

Just my opinion.

Gl.

Paul

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:00 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
I had a streak like this through December, it was the first time I've ever considered myself to run bad, although it was only for a month. I was making the right plays but things didn't seem to be coming together, I decided to drop down from 5nl to 2nl where I knew I could beat the game easily and it really helped.

I spent the time at the lower level analysing my play more deeply, seeing what I might have done wrong. I found that although I was running below what was expected, I had started getting myself into some quite marginal spots. In a way I feel hitting a bad streak of luck really benefitted me as I improved my game as a result of it.

A break might do it for you but for me I found that I still wanted to play. Dropping down to a lower level of competition gave me a confidence boost. I continued to play throughout December and was lucky enough to go on a sick heater at the end of the month.

I hope you get your confidence and enjoyment of the game back soon.

Oliver
for me, it 's really hard to drop down in limits where i play b/c even worse players play the higher buyin tourneys and higher limit cash games. i figure, why play longer in lower limit games when i can play for more money and have people play at least as bad, if not worse?

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPest72 View Post
A few days off to avoid the tilt.

PATIENTS! PATIENTS! followed by some more PATIENTS!

Do not change your gameplay if you have a winning formula, stick to your game, do not allow yourself to get drawn into the action because your not running good and last but not least, if you was a mile ahead in a pot and they sucked out on you then that's there bad not yours, so take comfort from knowing this.

Just my opinion.

Gl.

Paul
we're not doctors, pokerpest...we don't have patients hehehehe

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:31 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Read "The Poker Mindset", the best book I read in 2012. It deals with the mental game of poker and WILL help you deal with tilt and other issues you may have. Poker is a short term game of luck but a long term game of skill, this book has mentally changed the way I think.

As you may have read in my blog, I'm multi table grinding. In the past 2 days I've turned over a 40% ROI in 87 games but amongst those 87 games there is an 11 game stretch where I failed to cash. Before, if I was playing these and had 11 games without cashing I'd think it was me but thanks to the Poker Mindset I just put it down to variance.

All that matters in poker is making the correct decision in every hand with information you have at that time. I've recently had 21 games without cashing BTW.

I used to take breaks, change games or even sites before but now I just shrug it off as variance.

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:54 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
As others have said, poker players need to focus on the long-term, unfortunately, every game is a short-term event. If I find myself in a terrible run where my good plays are getting crushed, I figure it is time for a break.

Others here say take time off the virtual felt and do the grunge work of examining hand histories, watching training tapes, and reading poker books. Nice, but no cigar. You might find yourself blinded by what has happened in recent games.

When I say take a break, I mean a clean cut. Force yourself to avoid anything remotely related to poker. No televised games, no hand histories, no books, and no training tapes. If you play live, reconsider.

Your mind has suffered overload. You'll not see the leaks, even if you see them. (that's got to sound deep) Taking a full divorce from the game and engaging in some other activity for a day will rejuvenate you. Then come back for all that off table work.

The virtual felt isn't going anywhere, unless you have a DOJ lurking in dark. After a day relaxing and another day of reviewing, you'll be ready. And that's the real key to beating any downswing. Come back when you feel ready to face those inevitable bad luck hands. Trust me, you'll be doing it to others soon enough.

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 02:43 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
If you are making good decisions then hunker down and tighten up a bit to lower variance.

Bad runs can make us question your decisions. Review several hands to see if you are still making good decisions. If you're making switch poor decisions, fix that leak.

One other thing I do when I run poorly is to reduce my opponent's range by knocking off a good portion of the bottom end. That builds confidence in your reads and you can gradually open them up as youfeel tthe tide turn.

Good decisions.

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 03:54 AM
(#10)
All good advice. All things I know too so I guess I'm doing something right

Part of it though is the knowledge that I won't be pulling off some of these suckouts that I got smacked with. Ever. Like the guy that calls a 3-bet preflop and a big flop bet with K5 off suit on a A T J board. And then binks a Q on the turn to make his gutshot and get my whole stack since I had the AJ. I'll never pull a stunt like that since I'm not gonna be there with my K 5 offsuit. Good poker? Yes. Big suckouts? no....

Two of those in a row and you're down a good 12 bucks. It'll take a good 8 hours of solid play and no bad beats to get those 12 bucks back. Somehoe I seem to not be getting big value on my value hands. And that's always been a problem, so that's probably something I'm doing wrong. But still. Agh....

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:31 AM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2011
I sometimes think of how my opponents can get so far in a game to snap call 3 all in's with 44 and hit but it's these calls that keep them in the game and in the long run make the game pay for us.

Yes variance can be a killer but it's also why we should work with a decent bankroll so we can take the hits. As long as we keep getting our chips in good we do no wrong.

Look at things from your overall results, don't look at these short term blips. Look at those 8 hours needed in terms of your overall results and you'll see that their probably only a small drop in a big ocean.

Old
Thumbs down
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 05:55 AM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
PATIENCE not "PATIENTS" !

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 07:14 AM
(#13)
Took a while off and sat down again today. Just for fun, I went down a level. So far so good.

I also had good success, it didn´t take long before I nearly doubled my stack.

Then after a while I clicked the ´sit out next big blind´ box, my 2 hrs of play was up. Very last hand, I get dealt AA. The button limps, the small blind limps, and I raise to 8 cts. Both call.

Flop comes T,K,8. Both check, I bet 16 cts into 27 and both call.

Turn comes another 8. The button shboves all/in for his last 2 cents )!', the small blind calls, I raise to 28 cts. The small blind minraises me.

<censored>

Now I probably shouldn't have called it, but I did. The river comes a 6 and the small blind shoves at which point I decide to throw away the aces anyway.

Yup - he shows J,8 off. good fold, and good gut feeling on the turn.

So I lost almost half my winnings in that pot. *cry*

Now for some reflection.

a] I made no errors in the play of this last hand save maybe I could have folded on the turn. Baluga rules.

b] I want people like him calling me down preflop and on the flop with trash like J,8 off. That's why the microstakes should be profitable.

c] I loathe the fact that once again I got a major suckout to deal with.

d] I realize there's nothing I could have done here. If he's willing to limp/call preflop with junk like J,8 off, what kind of hand is he actually gonna fold to what kind of action? Perhaps he will fold to a preflop shove, but I doubt shoving #3.50 into a 6 cent pot is a profitable play.

*sigh*

I'll get him nex time... And in the end I can't be too unhappy. 2 hrs of play and I'm up 62 big blinds...

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 07:23 AM..

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 07:43 AM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3rsight View Post
b] I want people like him calling me down preflop and on the flop with trash like J,8 off. That's why the microstakes should be profitable.
Yep, I play a lot of the micro-stakes cash tables and calling in these spots cost me money too and can be very frustrating ... I just can't find the fold button even when I know I'm beat sometimes especially with big pocket pairs. I really need to plug that leak.

But you're right, we want players like this on our tables in the long term.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massimo44 View Post
PATIENCE not "PATIENTS" !
Ahh This is why I could not be a Doctor!
I didn't have the Patients.

I thought I had lots of Patience.

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 02:12 PM
(#16)
Sigh. Luck again not on my side.

I sit down at a table with a real idiot,. He knows only one thing: all-in.

So I patiently wait for a hand.

I find AJ suited. He has K6. Guess who wins.

I rebuy, and find myself with 33. He has J9 and hits a runner runner straight.

I rebuy, and a hand later I have 55. He has 7,3 and guess who wins.

Time for me to give up.....

Old
Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:08 AM
(#17)
Not too upset today, despite the fact that apparantly I still cannot do anything right. I was in 4 big pots today.

pot 1:
I have QQ. I raise PF, get one caller, the flop comes AQ8, I bet, he shoves, I collect his whole stack.
my own judgement: played the hand fine.

Now that's where the fun ended....

pot 2:
I have 88. UTG minraises and I decide to just call.Flop comes 2,T,4, all hearts. It's checked around, and the turn brings another heart. Too bad it's anoher heart so I fold when he shoves. Turns out he had A4 offsuit with the A of hearts.
my judgement: maybe I could have raise preflop with the pocket 8, but alas, I can live with this.

pot 3:
Once again, I have QQ again. I raise, one caller, I get 3bet and I 4bet all-in. I get called by the 3bettor who has 77. He hits a runner-runner flush and I lose half my stack.

pot 4:
I have KJ off on the button. UTG raises and I decide to call. Flop comes Q,T,5 rainbow. The preflop raises bets and I call with the open ender. The turn's a 9, he bets, I shove, he calls with pocket 9. River's another queen
my judgement: KJ off might not be too good, but I have position and will release if I whiff the flop. On the turn, there's nothing else to do.

Absolute bad luck in a few places. Got it all-in in the last two pots a big favorite and got sucked out one again. I wonder why my good hands in these situations don't seem to be holding up...
Or maybe I'm just not seeing my bad play.

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 06:18 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
lol me and my SPEELING have some PATIENTS with me

It must be that afternoon drink problem getting the better of me,
is there a doctor in the house

Old
Mon Jan 07, 2013, 06:51 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Pot:3
I feel your pain dude, the amount of crazy suck outs I see when I am playing prem hands is so sick, it's like the high vpip players don't do math, don't care about what 2 cards your holding, whether they are out of position or not nothing matters to them, cards have all the same value to them they have 2 in there hand and call it jedi mind control call it what you want but boy they really know how to suck out on you in a major way and rub your face in the dirt.

Pot:2 I think your letting every hand play on your mind a bit to much, the only reason your calling with pocket 8,s is to set mine, you missed the flop, no set no bet, hand is over and done with, don't get attached to your cards, on the flip side if the op UTG had a high fold to c-bet ratio then would this not be a great time to 3bet followed by a cbet. Yes granted he was never folding on that flop but most of the time he's going to miss the flop. Just my opinion.

The very last 2 hands I played within the last week,
45 off busted my pocket kings in a pref all in
72s took out my AQs in a pref all in (my all in range is wider vs mad men)

I also wanna puke every time I get dealt pocket rockets lol.

Good luck is all I can say and I hope your run changes soon.

Paul.

Last edited by PokerPest72; Mon Jan 07, 2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: more

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com