Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl Zoom - AA. Easy river fold, but should I have called the turn?

Old
5nl Zoom - AA. Easy river fold, but should I have called the turn? - Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

This was my first encounter with the villain who was single tabling.

So on the flop I made a cbet for value and the villain raised me, I ranged him on 67, sets, strong draws and overpairs that would rather take it down now such as TT/JJ. I didn't feel I could fold to one bet as I still beat a lot of his range and he would slow down on the turn with a lot of it.

I called and checked to him on a blank turn as I didn't see the point in betting and being raised off my hand. He bet again and I decided to call but I think that I could have laid it down here. I think that he bets 67 and sets on the turn but I don't think he would continure to bet overpairs and it's debatable whether or not he would double barrel with a draw (it is 5nl).

On the river I felt kinda dumb calling his turn bet as the river felt an easy fold, I beat literally none of his betting range so the river seems an easy fold to me. So, should I have called the turn bet or not?

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
why not make it 2.10 on flop and if he ships fold. if its good enough to call with its good enough to raise, and i dont get putting in over 35% of your stack and folding. me i shove flop . if i think i am best

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Oliver

The short answer is "yes" -- you should fold the turn.

The alternative, actually, is to check-raise all-in on the turn. I think this would be a good course of action had the flop been seen heads up, instead of three-way.

I am not sure it is not close as it stands, one tabling players at 5nl should often be capable of a wide variety of actions that loosely resemble "poker."

So I wouldn't emphasize that I think the best turn action is to check-fold, but that's the one I would go with in this spot. As you suspected, his bluffing frequency is not what we would like it to be and he might not be doing this with enough made hands that are worse than ours for us to profitably continue against this bet.

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 04:46 PM
(#4)
Hi Gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
I am not sure it is not close as it stands, one tabling players at 5nl should often be capable of a wide variety of actions that loosely resemble "poker."
I'm unsure what you mean by this...?

Also do you think a case can be made for folding the flop? I discussed this hand with a few other microstakes players and they seem to think folding the flop isn't bad, as a single tablers raising range contains only sets and 67 and very very rarely any bluffs. Would you agree or do you think he can raise worse overpairs and draws?

Thanks for all the help

Oliver

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 05:01 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Hi Gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
I'm unsure what you mean by this...?

I think he might mean stuff like this maybe?

Click to show hidden text

But I had stats on the bb - and I kind of tried to make my hand look bluffy. And it didn't hurt to have the nuts ...

So hard to let go of AA when I suspect I'm up against a set ... it's on my list of things to try and improve upon in the new year, so that's great you managed to muster up a fold by the river Croyd

Hopefully it gets easier to ditch pre-flop premium hands that are way behind post-flop (sooner rather than later) with practice?

Hey gl at the tables in the new year!

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#6)
Lol Sam. A visual explanation is always very useful

Yeah it's on my list too, I'm hoping by the end of the year I can predict when my opponents going to flop a set and lay it down pre

Good luck to you too, oh and nh

Last edited by Croyd93; Thu Jan 03, 2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 03, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
ah hahaha!!!

thanks!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com