Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi there,
Am I eligible for the bankroll builder promotion? I've been playing freerolls and playmoney but no real money yet
Thanks
dannyboy

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 12:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dannyboy6661,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#3)
Ok, I've not done the live training session yet but here are a couple of hands, one from a ring game and one from a tournament where I got knocked out.

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:00 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dannyboy6661!

This promotion is only for full ring games. Playing any other format of games with any of the buy-ins will disqualify you from obtaining further buy-ins.

I will however, gladly help with the hand. With KJ and having an abnormally large raise and a call in front of me, KJ is basically never ahead here, so it is an immediate muck preflop. Someone has an A or a pair and since I'm behind, I want to save my chips for a better situation so that I can put my chips in when I'm ahead.

With KTs and 2 limpers in front of me and 5 opps left to act, I'm mucking it here preflop. If I was in late position I'd look at raising, but not when I'm most likely playing the hand out of position. If I did raise, I would make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper.
The flop gives me a flush draw and when it checks to me, I'm checking behind and taking a free card. With multiple opps, I could easily be behind Ax and I don't want to bloat the pot when I'm not ahead (even though I have a flush draw).
The turn doesn't help and when the one opp makes a small bet that is then called, I'll call here hoping to get a diamond on the river, as I'm priced in to see it.
When I miss the river, I need to give up and muck.

The keys in these hands are to not be playing marginal hands from out of position and to not be betting when behind.

Good luck at the tables and please let me know when you have attended the live training.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 04:20 PM
(#5)
Thanks John,
I've just done the live training. When you say full ring games do you mean 9 seat table cash games? Also I'm ok to still play whichever freerolls and play money games I like?

Cheers
dannyboy

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 06:04 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dannyboy6661!

Yes, this is only for the 9 player cash games. You can play all the freerolls or play money games that you want, but any cash tables or tourneys other than the 9 player ring games will disqualify you from further buy-ins.

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 06:20 PM
(#7)
Hi John,
I've already passed the basic assessment quiz so it won't let me take it again. Hope this is ok.

Thanks
dannyboy

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dannyboy6661!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:54 PM
(#9)
Hi John,
Ok, I've had my $2 and I've just caught the bet sizing training.

I've also been playing some, I got my roll up to $3.60 at one point although I played some hands badly and had some bad luck and now I'm down to 96 cents.

Here are a few hands I've been playing.

The first is one where really I didn't play so well but got lucky looking back at it

The next with pocket Aces I felt I could've extracted more value from the hand

The next I was pretty happy with as although I didn't win anything I made the right call and the right fold

And finally this one, I wasn't sure if I should have bet once the 10 came up on the river or not

2 more final questions
With such a small roll how much is wise to take to each table?

Do I have to lose my initial $2 to get another one or will that come if I keep following your instructions?

Many Thanks
dannyboy

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 03:24 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi dannyboy

First hand 78o: If I am going to play prospective hands such as suited connectors, Axs, or small pairs, I like to have several conditions in place.

1. A good prospective hand. 78o is connected, but not suited. If they were 10J or higher then unsuited cards can be ok.
2. Late position. You have great position on the btn.
3. More than one player already in the pot. Here there is only 1 player thus far, but bb will probably get to see the flop for free since you have both limped.
4. See the flop cheaply. Limping is as cheap as it gets.
5. Opponents need relatively deep stacks. Notice that Villain 7 only has 32 cents.

Deep stacks are important because with prospective hands we normally miss the flop and have to fold. When we do make our set, straight, flush etc, we need to have a good chance to win a large pot in order for making our prospective hands profitable. Keep this in mind in the future.

As played, you didn’t have the odds to call the turn bet. However, it worked out nicely for you on the river. Nice pot

Second hand AA: 3-betting preflop was perfect, well done. On the flop I think you could have bet a bit less, about 25-30 cents rather than pot sized. You definately want to bet though. Never slowplay over pairs. Nice hand.

Third hand JJ: This is a tough hand to play. It usually rates to be strong preflop, but any Q, K or A post flop is scary. From late postion or against a loose opponent I would 3-bet JJ preflop, but fold to a 4-bet. In this spot I think calling was fine. When the bb 3-bets all in, folding is definately the right move. In general you should rarely call 3-bets with non-premium pairs because you normally have to fold to a scare card on the flop. Furthermore, when facing an all in situation preflop, there are only two hands that you can profitably call with; KK and AA. Good fold.

Fourth hand Q10s: This is another prospective hand. Look at the conditions I listed for the first hand. Limping or folding preflop are probably fine in this spot. You missed the flop and turn so checking is perfect. On the river you get middle pair with a good but not great Q kicker. I strongly suggest just checking down the river in this spot.

With prospective hands it is important to remember that we are hoping to make a set, straight or flush. Pairing the board and overplaying our hand, even top pair with Axs, often results in us having the second best hand and losing money. In this spot, the pot is small, there are multiple opponents, and if we get reraised, we will have to fold. I recommend playing it safe, checking it down and being happy if win a small pot.

Finally, I recommend always buying in for the table maximum. Just play smart and be patient. When you flop a strong made hand you will have a good chance to double up. If you are short stacked, then you ought to be more careful about playing prospective hands and stick to a tighter opening range.

You seem to be on the right track. Keep it up!

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dannyboy6661!

It's time to now attend the Cash Basics live training session.

Also, study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz and attended the live training session, post back here and we'll continue.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com