Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl Zoom - KK. Flop and river bet?

Old
5nl Zoom - KK. Flop and river bet? - Fri Jan 04, 2013, 06:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
The villain is a reg at 5nl zoom, if I remember correctly he is playing two tables. I have 75 hands on him but no notes, he's playing pretty tight and hasn't 3 bet yet.

18/12/0 AF 3.0

Preflop I think is pretty standard, I actually made my 3bet slightly bigger than normal as I didn't think the 1BB would make a difference to his calling frequency.

He calls and the the dreaded A high flop appears, when he checks to me I think I could have bet but I don't feel it accomplishes much. I'll get called 100% of the time by and A as well as allow lots of weaker hands in his range to fold. Although checking behind allows heart draws a free card I'm not too worried, if a heart peels and he starts getting aggro I feel I can get away from it without investing too much. Is this line of thought okay or should I be betting this flop?

When I turn second set and he checks to me for a second time it's time to go for value. The thing that is troubling me on this street is I'm really unsure on his calling range. I think KQs/KJs/QQ/JJ all call a bet, but does he have hands like AJ/AQ/KTs in his calling range? Would these hands not have led the turn?

Either way I think there are enough worse hands to call a bet so I bet around 2/3 pot for value. He calls and the river comes a Q. He checks for a third time and I'm unsure whether a bet on the river is too thin? I think AQ/KT will call but as I said before I'm not even sure if these are in his range? :S

Also will KQ/QQ call? Any hand with a J is obviously raising but I am comfortable folding if he does raise as I don't think he'll be bluffing on the river.

Thanks for any help

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 08:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
On the river, I'm checking behind. There's too many jacks out there he might be playing. If we bet there, I don't think he's going to call with anything less than a jack, except maybe pocket aces or queens. Maybe AK would call?

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 09:22 AM
(#3)
I don't think AA or AK is in his range, He would most likely re open the action on the flop with AA. Also with AA or AK he would most certainly lead the turn after I check back the flop. I'm leaning more and more to checking back the river....

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#4)
Another point, is checking back the flop really bad as I'm pretty much telling the villain I have KK/QQ? Or can I expect not to be exploited by doing so at 5nl?

Old
Fri Jan 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hi Croyd,

I actually feel that given the passive line that he takes there is a decent chance he has a lot of Ax or even weak 2 pair by the river which he is scared to bet himself. The question is are the worse hands calling?

The biggest mistakes microstakes players generally tend to make will involve going to showdown with too weak hands while they are usually not capable of turning made hands into a bluff. That being said, I dont see a reason not to valuebet here for around halfpot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Another point, is checking back the flop really bad as I'm pretty much telling the villain I have KK/QQ? Or can I expect not to be exploited by doing so at 5nl?
I dont think that you need to worry about this. People at 5nl will mostly be focusing on playing their own hand and not think about villain's handranges too much.

Live Trainer

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com