Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Sat Jan 05, 2013, 07:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
Hello!
My name is André and this is the first time I'm posting in the forums.
I've played some play money games, a sit n go freeroll and also some tournament freerolls!

So, what should I do now?

André

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 08:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeandre View Post
Hello!
My name is André and this is the first time I'm posting in the forums.
I've played some play money games, a sit n go freeroll and also some tournament freerolls!

So, what should I do now?

André
Hi,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 05, 2013, 10:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi awesomeandre,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#4)
Done!
I attended the lesson about a minute ago!
André kinda liked my name

Anyway, here's a hand:

Okey, so my problem with this one is not really the hand. I just don't know how to play at play money tables, nobody takes it so serious so it's quite impossible to know what you are up against. I'm guessing that that might also be the case at the micro limit tables.
So do you got any tips on how I should do?

André

Old
Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:17 PM
(#5)
This hand was from a tournament.

I'm not sure what i was going to do there, it was a free-roll, about 1500 people left.

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:00 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi awesomeandre!

The low level micro stakes won't be much different.

With KT from the button, I get a limp, a min raise, then a call in front of me. While I could call, I'm going to make a standard 3-bet here and size it at 3X the previous bet, so I'll raise to 12. I'd rather raise, as my hand will play better against less opponents.

The flop doesn't help me at all, so when it checks to me, I'll check behind and hope to get a free turn card.

The turn J doesn't help me either and now there is a very small bet and a min raise. Since I don't even know if a K will get me the best hand, I'm going to muck here and save my chips for a better spot.
-------------------
Tourney hands won't help with this promotion, as it's only for full ring cash games. Once you earn a buy-in from this promotion, playing any cash tourney will disqualify you from being able to earn further buy-ins.

With KQ from UTG, I'm mucking this since I'm out of position. Also, one thing that I NEVER do is to open-limp. If I'm the first one that is getting into the pot, I'm raising or folding and never limping. Open-limping hands is a large chip leak, as most players that do it are playing hands that they should be folding.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi awesomeandre!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 13, 2013, 07:59 AM
(#8)
Okay! Done!
I completed it today!

Old
Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi awesomeandre!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen. It's always best to buy-into a table with the maximum that you can. That way, you can get paid more for your monster hands.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

When you've done all this we will move you onto the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#10)
I've got my first buy-in now so thanks!
I will start playing some tonight.

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:39 PM
(#11)
I have now attended the Bet Sizing session!
I have also started playing some, I have about 3 dollars right now!

So, what is my next step?

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:17 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Andre!

You need to keep playing with it and to post a hand here that you had trouble with or lose the buy-in with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:59 PM
(#13)

I had some problems with this one.
What do you think?

Old
Sat Feb 02, 2013, 08:18 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
What do you think?
Hi awesomeandre,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

I've asked one of the hand analysers to take a look at this hand for you and he'll do this within the next 24 hours.

After he offers some feedback we'll advise on the next step.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Feb 02, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#15)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:

What do you think?
Hi awesome,

Preflop bet sizing is too small... the standard recommendation for 3-betting an open raiser is 3x their total bet size, which in this case would be .12c. I would generally prefer to flat call though for the .04c in position on the opener and proceed from there without reads on the table.

On the flop you continuation bet when checked to, I think that's good. We can maybe get some better pocket pairs to fold, and we protect against hands that we're beating but have equity like KQ. Plus if we check behind and he fires the turn we get a little lost on how to proceed with this type of hand strength.

Once we get called on the flop, I would shut it down and give up. The board is totally dry, his flop check/calling range will include pretty much all hands that beat us mostly, a lot of Ax hands up to AQ and a few slowplaying monsters. In this hand you turned an open ended straight draw and checked behind to take a free card, PERFECT. He's not folding to another bet imo so this is a good line. And checked down the missed river, I think again is perfect... his line now is consistent with an ace holding, and he will never fold this to a river bet, so just give up.

There's a very small chance he was out of line preflop with 87, which would also play post flop in the same way that he did, but we beat that anyway and are not likely to get paid off by it if we bet, so no value in betting this river.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Feb 03, 2013, 02:01 AM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi awesomeandre!

It's time to now attend the Cash Basics live training session.

Also, study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

Once you've passed the quiz and attended the live training session, post back here and we'll continue.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:35 PM
(#17)
So I've taken a bit of a break for a couple of months, but now I'm back to poker.

What did I do wrong in this hand?

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 05:04 PM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi awesomeandre!

It's folded to you in the small blind and you have AKs. I'm definitely raising here, but I'll use the standard raise size of 3bb (6c), because I want to disguise the strength of my hand and use the same sizing whether I have AA or 76s. Since this is a blind v blind battle, villain is likely to play back at you with quite a few worse hands.
He calls and you see a flop of KJ2, which is a pretty dry flop. I would take the straightforward line and just make a standard c-bet of about 65% of pot for value. Checking and planning to raise is "fancy play syndrome". Not only does this miss a street of value when villain decides to check behind, it gives him a free card to improve if he chooses to take it. In addition, a check-raise can look super-strong, meaning that villain will often fold if you make that play. You don't want him to fold when you have the best hand. Just make your c-bet and be happy when he calls with worse.
Villain calls the check-raise and the turn comes a 9. This board is getting wetter now. Villain could have made a straight or a picked up a straight draw or made two pairs. Betting about half pot is OK, but I might go a little bigger, because villain's call on the flop means he definitely has something.
The river is an 8. This doesn't change much, because if villain had QT, he already had a straight on the turn. Most of the time villain will have just one pair worse than your TPTK, so I'd choose a fairly small bet on the river, hoping he'll look you up with Jx or a worse K. Here he got lucky and rivered two pairs so drags the pot. He should probably have folded to the flop check-raise, because you showed a lot of strength there, but your raise could also represent a semi-bluff with a draw.

You were unlucky here, but in future I would recommend you stick to standard lines. Make standard bet-sizes pre-flop and post-flop. Bet when you think you have the best hand, and don't get tricky, as it can put you into spots where you don't know where you're at. If you have TPTK, bet about 65% of pot on the flop and turn (more if there is a flush draw), but a little smaller on the river, hoping to get called by a worse pair. If villain raises, then you can fold, as he has you beat.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 06:43 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Please let us know as soon as you pass the Cash Game quiz and we'll get your next bonus to you.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com