Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Mkenyahalisi's Goals for 2013

Old
Smile
Mkenyahalisi's Goals for 2013 - Mon Jan 07, 2013, 05:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
I'd like to submit my goals for the time vault challange.
As a beginner, my goals may not be as... lofty, but I am driven to be a better poker player and I have identified some things I can do more of to improve. Keep in mind I can only about play 6-8 hours a week. These may not be the most impressive goals, but hey, I've got to start somewhere.
As the year progresses and hopefully my game improves, I will make adjustments to my goals and possibly come up with more specific challanges, i.e. add a weekly hands/hours played goal.

For starters, my main end of year goals are
-To grow my $200 bankroll to $2000.
-Invest in Pokertraker/HM.
-Find a willing poker coach.
-To top the PSO Premier League at least once.
-Play more ring games. (I mainly play tournaments)

I've established the following monthly goals
-Watch 4 hrs of training videos
-Spend 6-8 hrs reading books, articles and the online community posts.
-Satellite into a major tournament
-Earn and maintain goldstar status (I said I wasn't aiming to high)
-Posts at least 8 hands I feel I misplayed and get feedback.

I am faced with the problem of finding time to play or improve my game. I work full-time and when I am free I'm to tired to either play or read books. But I am determined to do my best when I sit down.

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:27 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenyahalisi View Post
I'd like to submit my goals for the time vault challange.
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

Don't forget that if you want to qualify for the >>Time Vault<< you will also need to write a blog about your challenge in the >>Blog<< section.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 11:31 PM
(#3)
Update:

- I've started reading more articles.
- I haven't played any ring games. I'm I'll be able to log the necessary volume of hands needed to achieve gold this month.
- Got off to a great start in the PSO League and shipped the third tournament I played in. However, it's all gone downhill since

Here's a hand, from one of the league tournaments I played in.
The villian to my right and I haven't gotten into a couple of big pots. Infact, the chips you don't see in my starting stack are in his at the moment courtesy of a flopped set vs flopped flush. He filled up on the river.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently in this hand. Jam the turn maybe?

The replayer doesn't show that I showed my cards as I mucked, he responded by flashing a rivered King high flush.

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 07:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
good luck with the challenge,

Keep us upto date as to how its going

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:36 AM
(#5)
Goals Update.
End Year:
  • Bankroll - $215 (hand it down to $170 in that 1st week of January.
  • Pokerdatabase software - I'll get one when the license is 10% of my bankroll, (about $600).
  • Coach - Not yet. Haven't really looked to be honest. Know anyone up for it?
  • PSO League - 80th, which is a bummer considering I've actually shipped 2 tourneys this month.
  • Ring games - played about 100 hands and got super bored. I don't know whats wrong with me.

January
Training videos - goal sort of reached. Watched season 7 of 'High Stakes Poker'
Articles - goal reached. Found a handy site that had a lot of articles on mixed games.
Satellites - goal reached. Satellited in to the Horse miniFTOPs but busted before payouts, plus I've won 3 Stud 8 sats.
Goldstar - an embrassing 45 VPPs so far. I really need to do something about this.

Revised Goals
Bankroll:
Play $1 & $1.5 MTT SNGs until $400. Roughly 10 a day. (A bit conservative?)
Play $0.25/0.50 Razz & Stud 8. 300-500 hands a day.
(Don't know if this good bankroll management. Advice please?)

Personal Goals
Some of these maybe rudimentary but I keep missing to do them:
Take notes. Actually go through notes.
When playing online, only play poker. No facebook, No watching the big bang theory, etc.

Old
Royal Flush - Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:50 AM
(#6)

Let me explain my thinking,
Villian 7 and I have a lot of history and respect each others play. The plan was to smooth call 3rd and 4th and raise it from 5th onwards and represent rolled up jacks. Villian pairing his 2 prevented that. I ended up backing into the 2nd royal flush of my poker career. Unfortunately, I couldn't get paid off on 7th.

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:12 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenyahalisi View Post
Update:

- I've started reading more articles.
- I haven't played any ring games. I'm I'll be able to log the necessary volume of hands needed to achieve gold this month.
- Got off to a great start in the PSO League and shipped the third tournament I played in. However, it's all gone downhill since

Here's a hand, from one of the league tournaments I played in.
The villian to my right and I haven't gotten into a couple of big pots. Infact, the chips you don't see in my starting stack are in his at the moment courtesy of a flopped set vs flopped flush. He filled up on the river.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently in this hand. Jam the turn maybe?

The replayer doesn't show that I showed my cards as I mucked, he responded by flashing a rivered King high flush.
With no read I would have fold pf, fold the flop and shove on the turn.

Good luck!

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 03:02 AM
(#8)
Goals Update

After my unplanned 5 month hiatus, here how things look going into July:
Bankroll - $31

Not watching videos or reading articles.
Having to compile new notes.
Playing the PSO League in July but only eligible for the lower tier. I'm debating whether or not to intentionally tank so that I can drop down to the Open League. I mean, should I work my arse off to play $500 or wait till August and play for $1500. And with the size of my roll, it's unlikely I clear 150 vpp in July. I haven't decided my plan on this yet.

Goals for July 2013
Bankroll - +$100
I'm trying to use Ahar010 bankroll builder but I hit a downswing at $1 45 SNG and dropped back to the 50c 90 SNG.
I'm mixing it up with some 2 NL Zoom which suprisingly agrees with me.

Read more, learn more. Become better. Enough said.

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 07:24 AM
(#9)
Since: May 2012
Welcome back mkenyahalsi

I think you're still getting better value by being in the PSO Premier League, even at the lower tier, just because you're in a pool of 1500 players rather than several tens of thousands. Then again, the competition is a lot tougher.

Good luck with 2NL Zoom Playing plenty of that would get you to 150VPPs much quicker & it's a good game to play to build your bankroll.

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 12:11 AM
(#10)
That's just it Paul. The field is lot tougher and nitter in the Premier League meaning you have to play that much better. Also with the field being smaller and tighter, getting ITM or top 25% is harder.

P.S. Sorry about the KK vs. AA hand.

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 12:20 AM
(#11)
Goals Update

Started of last week great. Finished ITM in my first 2 league games. Grew my roll from $30 to $50 in the first my 24 hrs of play and on track to hit my $100 target well before the close of the month. Eased off playing to focus on matters elsewhere. Came back and dropped my entire $20 profit over the weekend and a series of early bustouts saw me drop off the pace in the league. So now I'm back where I was when I started the week.

Goals for July
Refer above.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com