Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:05 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
BronzeStar
Hi, I am interested in finding out if I qualify for the bankroll builder promo.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namowrednow View Post
Hi, I am interested in finding out if I qualify for the bankroll builder promo.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Jeremy
Hi,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion.

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschooline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 10:29 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi namowrednow,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
hand replayer - Wed Jan 09, 2013, 03:47 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
HI, i was able to use the hand player correctly and rewatched the last 5 hands of my tourhament but I'm not sure if I successfully posted it anywhere. I also took part in a live training session last night. I have registered for "Getting Started with Pokerstars" sessions as you requested but it does sort of conflict with what time I'll be sleeping. He is in Toronto and that's a 12 hour difference from where I live currently. Anyways, let me know if I need to redo the hand replayer or whatever else.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi namowrednow!

You need to play the play money full ring cash tables and post a hand in this thread using the replayer that you had a problem with so that we can analyze it and you can learn from it.
You also have to attend and participate in the Getting Started live training (Sunday's session may fit better for your time zone). Other sessions do not count.

Please do these two things as we cannot continue until you do so.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 06:22 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 06:27 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 06:42 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
The hand above (hand #7) is the one I would like analyzed. I think it's a good one to discuss because there are all sorts of peculiar behaviours happening. I am first to act and limp with 10s. I know, what am I doing? The table was extremely aggressive at this point and so I was certain there would be a raise, and I could trap and isolate--I know 10s preflop is not a trap. And it gets worse. My flat call is raised and then reraised and that reraise is called. Normally, I think this is an instamuck situation and I count my lucky stars for making a bizarre decision to limp in the first place. Despite the raise and reraise, at this table, I still feel like I'm ahead. So, I shove. And I'm right but everyone (including pocket 4s) hits ... except me.

Ok, so this is not how I would typically play that hand (at all), but the dynamic of the table prompted what you saw. I guess my question is ... is the blatant limp and reraise all-in ever an acceptable play if you feel certain you'll get a raise based on the action and you'll get a call even though it's not remotely well disguised. And, if so, should that move (if ever it is justified) be done only with KK or AA?

I still like some of my reasoning, but in hindsight, I guess with 10s, what am I hoping to be up against. And I've left myself no way out of the hand (although that was my intent).

So, you see? Lots going on here ...

I'd appreciate your thoughts. I did my best to offer my own thoughts (pre and post play). Feel free to tear through my questionable logic!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:25 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi namowrednow!

I'll go thru both of them for you.. it's not a problem. Also, the more of your thought process that you provide, the better and more in-depth we can go with the analysis, so that you can learn more.

K6s, with a raise in front of me, is an easy fold. Just because cards are suited doesn't mean tht they should always be played. Good job mucking it.

With pocket 10's from early position, I'm going to make a standard opening raise (3BB+1BB for each limper), so with no limpers, I'll raise to 3BB or 180. Open-limping when out of position is a big chip leak, as I get no information about the opp's hands and being out of position with no info makes the rest of the hand much harder to play.

I then get a raise to 4BB (standard raise), then a 3-bet shove to 600 and a call of the 3-bet. With a pocket pair, when I want to setmine, I want both me and the opps to have 15BB stacks, which most do. This now is a really tricky spot. The key here for me is... will seats 9 and 3 fold to an isolation raise? If I think they would, then I've got no problem with shoving to isolate the smaller stack.
If they're going to call anyway, then I'm going to fold here. With 3 other opps in the hand, there will normally be multiple overcards to my 10's, which really puts me in a bad spot if I call or raise. With 3 opps, even if they're all playing top 20% hands (really wide for this type of spot), while I may be currently ahead, I'm going to LOSE the pot 70% of the time!
If their ranges are tighter, I lose an even higher % of the time.

Personally, I do not open-limp. The reason for this is three-fold.
1) I get no information about the opp's hands, so I have no idea whether I'm ahead or behind. Most of the time, observant opps will raise limpers preflop and I will either expose my hand by calling/raising, or I'm leaking off chips by folding.
2) I have to play post-flop out of position, which is a HUGE disadvantage that can cost me a large number of chips.
3) If I did it and then called/raise, it basically turns my cards face up to my opps. The raise will scream high pair, while a call screams speculative hand (small pair or suited connectors for example). I want to keep my bets standard, so the opps are continually guessing as to the cards that I'm playing.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 01:29 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi namowrednow!

Were you able to attend the Getting Started session? If not, here is a link that you can watch from a recorded session of it. It's better to attend in person so that you can ask questions, but this gives you another option.

Please let me know when you are finished with this session and we'll move to the next step.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Getting Started - Mon Feb 04, 2013, 09:23 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
John, thank you for your comprehensive analysis and for the clarity in which you made your points/suggestions. Your logic is certainly more sound than mine, and I especially liked the perspective of keeping one's bets standard in an effort to keep opponents guessing. The frustrating thing about freerolls or play money is the transformation from poker to bingo. Still, bad habits are not easy to lose, so I suppose it makes sense to approach any poker table with a consistent strategy or focus. Also, thank you for posting the 'Getting Started' video. As I currently live overseas, the timing of the live training for that specific tutorial always conflicted with work or weekly commitments (on Sundays). So, you've been a great help so far. Thanks as well for your prompt reply.I think I've just thanked you 3 times in one message and I'm not typically an overly thankful person, so well done you!

Jeremy

Old
Mon Feb 04, 2013, 09:27 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Oh, and as for the video (in case I was supposed to comment), it was fairly basic as it obviously is meant to be, but it did remind me that as a poker player and (formerly) as a student, good note taking has never been my forte. I think that taking player notes is a practice I should undertake.

Jeremy

Old
Tue Feb 05, 2013, 12:16 AM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi namowrednow!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Feb 05, 2013, 12:44 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
John, I have already passed the quiz ... awhile ago.

Old
passed the quiz on Jan. 8 - Tue Feb 05, 2013, 01:02 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
I still have a copy of the confirmation email that was sent to me after completing the quiz. If I try to take it again, a little pop=up window appears and says "you have already passed the quiz".

Old
Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:56 AM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi namowrednow!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found in the Live Training section.

Please let me know when you receive the buy-in and attend the training session.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:09 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Hi, I've earned 43.52 VPPs through pokerstars, using the initial $2.00 bonus, but I have yet to clear any of the other $6 dollars left in the bankroll builder promotion? How many VPPs do I need to earn? I played a lot, but just kept hovering around the same amount or would dip back down a bit.

What's up? Can you help?

jeremy

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:54 AM
(#18)
BronzeStar
I played a few sit & go's after I earned over 20 VPPs, prior to that I played only 0.01/0.02 NL full ring games as I was requested to do. It's been more than 24 hours, so I am not sure why it hasn't been released ... (the remaining $8 of the bankroll builder promotion)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jeremy

Old
Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#19)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namowrednow View Post
I played a few sit & go's after I earned over 20 VPPs, prior to that I played only 0.01/0.02 NL full ring games as I was requested to do. It's been more than 24 hours, so I am not sure why it hasn't been released ... (the remaining $8 of the bankroll builder promotion)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jeremy
Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
bankroll builder - Tue May 28, 2013, 04:53 AM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Hi, I completed the cash game quiz (a long time ago)

Here is my answer to the question based on the video:

3 reasons why one might make a big bet (equal to or more than 3/4 of the pot): to put pressure on an opponent; to protect against a strong draw or get value for your hand; or to bluff someone off a semi-strong hand.

I will post a hand now for your analysis.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com