Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

50NL FR post flop line with 77

Old
50NL FR post flop line with 77 - Tue Jan 08, 2013, 04:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
This was a regular 50NL table. The villain is a multitabling reg. I was playing without my HUD, but he hadn't gotten out of line and seemed like a standard TAG and had about 20 tables going.

Preflop I put him on a small pocket pair, or maybe Axs or two broadways. I assumed that he would have 3-bet me with a pair larger than my 77. He had 3-bet once earlier and I folded.

Was my line too passive on the turn and river? I didn't want the pot getting out of control?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...969_2B09F20F62

Thanks!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
I'll favour a larger Flop cbet like $2. Question is can worse call, can better fold?

Doubt 44-66 will call on Turn and River. 54 is unlikely to have called Flop cbet. On the other hand, you could argue to barrel the Turn to fold better hands like 88-JJ.

Overall I think it's based on reads. On the Turn it's ok to barrel or check, River is a check. Curious to hear from others

Last edited by TheAwesomeNW; Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 05:21 AM..

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Agreed with TANW that a bigger cbet is favourable, I go like $2 as well. The flop is kinda dry but by betting small it might encourage him to get funky and x/r so 60% pot looks good imo.

On the turn I don't see the point in betting, if he is a good reg the worse PP's in his range are not calling and missed broadways ceratinly aren't calling twice. So if you bet you're pretty much turning 77 into a bluff which is not good considering you have showdown value.

I'm not sure on the river though. I think all better hands would donk here for value as your hand strength is kinda face up, so when he checks I'm inclined to bet. A token value bet of like $2-$3 could get called here by smaller pairs and Ax type hands that you beat (not sure how many are in his range though). It might be a bit thin though so I'll be interested to see what others think.

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:44 AM
(#4)
Interesting! I was surprized you both recommend a larger flop bet. I bet half the pot which seems like a standard bet size for a c-bet on a dry board. Betting more, to me, just tells the villain "hey, I have a medium pocket pair, please fold". Once he called, I got a bit worried, and shout down which just felt weak but safe.

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 06:35 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
i like how u played the hand. maybe check flop try to get him to bet into u on the turn. what was your plan if u got raised on flop?

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 06:47 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong263 View Post
i like how u played the hand. maybe check flop try to get him to bet into u on the turn. what was your plan if u got raised on flop?
Had he lead out with a bet on the flop I would have called and reevaluated on the turn. Had he re-raised my flop bet, I would have had an easy fold.

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 09:17 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2012
I agree with the other, more for the cbet, even 1,75 or 1,9 not just 2$,even because the pot is 3,34$ and with 1,5$ you are betting 44% of the pot.
Instead I would suggest you to raise not 3X preflop but also 1,30$ because on every 3 attempt you need to be successful just 2 times to make a little profit of 0,20$ that is really good. And other than that, on the flop you can cbet bet 1,5$ on a pot that is 3,1$, so a better cbet and you a risking less, even because the BB is short and if he is a "crazy guy" he can reshove to you and with 77 I don't think is EV+ to call.
Anyway for the rest of the hand you did well, you don't want to take too much risk, but I would consider on betting the river sometimes.
Just my 2 cents, maybe I am totally wrong, I hope that I have given you just some good suggestions

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 11:21 AM
(#8)
I wonder what Dave would say...

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 12:44 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Greg,

IF you think he's 3-betting you with 88+ then I like your line here, checking back the turn, as his flop check-calling range on such a dry flop is largely Qx and small pairs which aren't going to fold to a single c-bet. Barreling the turn probably isn't good here simply because those small pairs are likely to fold now but Qx is not likely to, so we only get called when behind. When we are behind, a free shot at a 2 outter is nice. Especially the few times he's got 33 since that hand will check-raise us off the turn, but a free 7-ball on the river will likely result in us getting his stack.

Finally, as played, on the river I like a token value bet of like $3. I'm a thin value bettor. But when the turn goes check-check, he would bet Qx at least some of the time on the river trying to get paid by JJ, TT, 9x, or even a loose call by AK. His failure to bet the river himself I think weighs his range a bit more towards 44-66 and since he has showdown value and can beat AK, he may lean towards bluff catching us.

Now 2 additional points... first all of the above is based on your read about him 3-betting pairs bigger than 7's, which tbh I just don't agree with. I think most competent players would not 3b 88-TT here very often, and possibly not even JJ, particularly MMT regs. The only thing this changes for me is the river action, instead of thin value betting if he's going to bluff catch us with 88-TT as well as the small pairs and sometimes Qx, then value betting becomes too thin and it makes more sense to check it down imo.

Second point, I don't agree in c-betting big on such a dry flop, we will make it much harder for the small pairs/worse hands to call us so we value own ourselves a bit too much. Croyd is worried we might induce a funky bluff raise by c-betting smaller but I'm not concerned about this from a guy playing 20 tables, he's just going to respond honestly more often than not. If he did raise, I would almost always 3-bet the flop and basically expect him to be folding all the time, as it's very unlikely he would ever check-raise a smaller c-bet on this dry a board with a super strong hand. And I doubt he wants to stack off 88 or QTs so this line should discourage all of his medium strength hands and funky bluffs alike from continuing. At least that's how I see it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Tue Jan 08, 2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 02:15 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
If he did raise, I would almost always 3-bet the flop and basically expect him to be folding all the time, as it's very unlikely he would ever check-raise a smaller c-bet on this dry a board with a super strong hand. And I doubt he wants to stack off 88 or QTs so this line should discourage all of his medium strength hands and funky bluffs alike from continuing. At least that's how I see it.
I like this line a lot. Power poker for the win!

Follow me on: Twitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com