Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Stealing in late stage, did I play it right?

Old
Stealing in late stage, did I play it right? - Tue Jan 08, 2013, 07:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi,

This hand was played in the PokerSchool Open Skill League. I was trying to steal the blinds and wonder if I did it right.

I thought UTG limper won't call my raise since he only called the BB (and I was right). If I've been passive for the last few hands I like to try and steal with Ax type of hands. Is this a good practice?

Or should I play tighter under these circumstances?

Thanks!

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi kraxx0r!

The league games are a totally different animal from a standard MTT and this hand is actually a great example why. In a regular MTT, I'm looking to accumulate chips to get ITM, then get to the FT. However, in a league game, I have one and only one goal and that is... to last as long as possible. I do not care how many chips I have nor do I ever want to take a chance and to be all-in when I'm not sure that I'm way ahead in the hand and will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board.

If this was a standard MTT, I like the play here. I have 13BB and this is a great spot IMO to try to pick up the blinds/antes and the limp and if I'm playing the hand at all, I need to shove here as a standard raise would pot commit me.

HOWEVER, with this being a league game, I'm mucking A5 here every single time. I have plenty chips to last and allow others to get ko'd and I'm not going to take a chance here, especially for my tourney life when I'm most likely not ITM yet. Even if I had say AQ here, I'm calling or std raising and NOT shoving until I have a made hand and see as many cards as possible on the board (I do not want to take any chances at all in these tourneys).
Every single person that I can outlast in this tourney, I get more and more league points and the ONLY goal in these tourneys is to accumulate points for the monthly standings.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 08, 2013, 07:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Another thing to consider here is that both players to your left have you covered. The SB is particularly deep. I've found that in freerolls, deepstacked fish will call very loosely in the blinds, and stack off with any pair or ace, as they know you can't bust them. (Often they built their stacks by going all in with junk and sucking out). When your main aim in the PSO league is to stay alive, don't go shoving your whole stack into a deepstacked player unless you have a monster. Focus on stealing from obvious nits, particularly those with stacks of the same size as yours, as they will be less likely to call/reshove.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com