Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

My 100,000 VPP Goal

Old
My 100,000 VPP Goal - Wed Jan 09, 2013, 01:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
I could have simply selected the title "My-next-to-impossible-goal-of-reaching-Supernova-status 2013 goal" but "100,000 VPP Goal" sounds more interesting. And, it also saves the readers from actually opening this thread and seeing what my goal is.

As you guys can see, I have already achieved 0.15% of the required VPPs so I'm anticipating smooth sailing from here on out.

I used to play fifty50, but I soon transferred to 2NL Zoom because the luck factor was really killing me. but I realized that it is very hard to collect VPPs playing in the micros. So, for this goal, I will try and collect those remaining 99,847 VPPs playing PLO. This is a long challenge so I'll stop my yakking for now.

If this thread doesn't bore you, feel free to visit my blog in a couple of days for a really good snooze fest on how I started playing online poker (turned the computer on).

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 03:39 AM
(#2)
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

Don't forget that if you want to qualify for the >>Time Vault<< you will also need to write a blog about your challenge in the >>Blog<< section.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 05:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
99,847 VPPs in 356 days.

Certainly not impossible.

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
Getting 100,000 from 2NL. I think I'll say good luck. Can't say that feeling cynical enough, and It'll be nice seeing someone do it.

Good luck and best wishes.

'Cause I have done it before and I can do it some more I got my eye on the score'

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 07:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Good luck

Keep us up to date with the progress (while you take a break from the PLO tables I guess!!)

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:36 AM
(#6)
Hey guys. Just want to update you on my progress. I experienced my largest downswing for the year, 5 BI, but it's something that I honestly expected. After all, PLO is the king of variance. Will try to post some hands on future updates.

GL with your own 2013 goals!!!

Last edited by turatski; Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:54 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#7)
I think I'm finally getting the hang of this challenge thing. It's making me more motivated to improve my PLO game. As an update, I got to make up the losses that I incurred on my afternoon session. Also, the last hand that I played before starting this post was my selection as my hand of the day simply because the villain reminded me of myself and how I played PLO a couple of months back (I'll why in a while), and also because it's been ages since I flopped quads.

This hand was very interesting for me because it reminded me a couple months back when I first started playing PLO. I got dealt A-K-X-X suited clubs, and I was thinking that I only needed to flop just one suited card to complete my flush draw. Didn't realize back then that I was only supposed to take 2 cards to complete my hand. Fortunately, I was a luckbox that day and I managed to flop three more suited clubs. I'm hoping that the villain in the video above has only been playing PLO for a couple of days, either that or he's a very loose aggressive player.

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
I thought PLO8 was the King of variance.

I'm really bad at PLO. SO can you give us all some tips what STarting hands do you look for in PLO (and is it diffearnt in 6 max compared to full ring

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 11, 2013, 12:19 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
I thought PLO8 was the King of variance.

I'm really bad at PLO. SO can you give us all some tips what STarting hands do you look for in PLO (and is it diffearnt in 6 max compared to full ring

Grade b
You might be right on that one. But I guess it depends on the personality of the player. You can play fixed limit NL and still experience huge swings depending on how you play your cards.

As for me, it really amazes me that the highest downswing I've experienced playing PLO was just 5 BI's which I had yesterday. Of course, It would be foolish to think that I won't experience bigger swings in the future, considering that I have only been playing PLO for 2 months.

One of the things that I benefited from playing NL Zoom that had a huge impact once I transferred to PLO Zoom is my read on how people bet once they have the nuts.

I don't think that I have played enough hands of PLO to justify handing out some strategies. However, one big difference that I noticed playing FR versus 6-max is that FR players see the flop more often. Mainly because they're getting the right pot odds, even though they're holding mediocre hands like 6-2-10-x or J-2-3-8. Therefore, it is much more trickier to know where you stand in relation to having the nuts or second-nuts.

I read a quote once from the great Doyle Brunson that most of your probably already know, but I'll share it here nonetheless in the hopes that it might help you guys improve your game. This word of wisdom fits perfectly with PLO rather than NL: "Never go broke in an unraised pot."

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 03:25 AM
(#10)
Hi guys. Been a couple of days since my last post. I'm afraid I don't have a lot to post today in terms of how my 1st week doing the challenge went (I explained why on my blog post). However, I'm dead-set on fixing my schedule and keep myself on track to achieving my 2013 goal. I'll try to post a couple of hands later If I get a chance to play a decent amount of hands.

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:43 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turatski View Post
This hand was very interesting for me because it reminded me a couple months back when I first started playing PLO. I got dealt A-K-X-X suited clubs, and I was thinking that I only needed to flop just one suited card to complete my flush draw. Didn't realize back then that I was only supposed to take 2 cards to complete my hand. Fortunately, I was a luckbox that day and I managed to flop three more suited clubs. I'm hoping that the villain in the video above has only been playing PLO for a couple of days, either that or he's a very loose aggressive player.
Seems like there's always a lot of people at any given time who are thinking about giving PLO a try, so that's really cool to see somebody participating in the Time Vault Challenge who's making a go of things, and who isn't still making that same mistake the rest of us are of thinking we have a flush when our hole cards aren't suited

Some interesting insight into the villain - looking forward to seeing more cool PLO hands from you ... hopefully those of us looking to try and learn PLO can pick up some great tips!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com