Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Markusvic's Come Back 2013 Poker Challenge

Old
Markusvic's Come Back 2013 Poker Challenge - Wed Jan 09, 2013, 10:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Hey guys!

As I said in this post, 2013 is a come back year for me.

These are my continuous (weekly and monthly goals)
[ ] Achieve and maintain Poker School Premier Skill League
[ ] Achieve Silver Star the whole year
[ ] One full poker day per week. A full poker day means at least 100 sit and goes. Actually this means 4 full poker days in a month, since I can miss one week and play 2 the next week.
[ ] Play at least 3 times per week for 1~2h.

These are the result-related goals, which I'm not sure because you can't be sure, but I'll do my best to get there:

[ ] Top 10 in Premier League Skill in any month
[ ] Make over U$10k in the whole year, counting table profits, bonuses and promotions
[ ] Ship my first MTT bigger than 1k players in Poker Stars

And this is the goal I want the most, which I'm aiming for but I really can't say it will be achieved this early in the year. Even thuogh I'm not sure I will achieve it, it's still a very important goal.
[ ] End 2013 having online poker as my main source of income, instead of my current job.

These goals, specially the result-related, can change (hopefuly for bigger goals) during the year, since results are quite unpredictable. And if they do change, I'll post the new goals in this post, so we don't have to scroll down the whole thread.

I wish the best for everyone, our efforts will be paid off!

And, like I've heard a poker genius say: good luck in the long run!

Last edited by markusvic; Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 02:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Good luck on your challenge for the year.

Don't forget that if you want to qualify for the >>Time Vault<< you will also need to write a blog about your challenge in the >>Blog<< section.

All the instructions on how to qualify for this years Time Vault promotion can be found >>HERE<<

Best of luck with your poker goals for 2013!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 07:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Good luck in your goals,

Keep us upto date on how it goes.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 08:34 PM
(#4)
Guys I'll do my best to make small posts, so it doesn't get too annoying to read:

Today I played some games and here are the results:
Non-league tournaments:
9-1 results

Well it was a small but nice profit. I have to fix some things (my computer and my mental game are the main ones) but it's very nice to be back.

League tournaments
I played 1 Open and busted out around 1400/10k, so I've made some points. I also played 1 Premier Qualifier but busted quite early, something like 60/90 I think.

I really like the environment in PSO

Btw this is a hand that made me think a lot:

What do you think about it? It's a $3 45 man with around 14 ppl remaining.

Last edited by markusvic; Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#5)
Well my last session was not the best in the world.

I played some 30 tournaments and ended with -$40. I lost a QQ vs 99 AI PF in a $2 180 man with 12 remaining, it was quite frustrating.

But it was good because I feel my mental game is slowly getting back to its best, and I noticed I've got to adjust my mind to my new reality: Currently I've got $140 in my bankroll and I should quit completely all the $2.5 and $3.5 tournaments for now. I'll do this from today on.

Skill League: I had two bad results and ended up losing some points and loads of positions in the ranking (I'm now 9kth). Two hands where I was far ahead AI PF but lost the showdown. Maybe I have to play them in a different way since they're way less top-heavy than all the rest of the tournaments in poker. I gotta think about this.

Wish the best for all of us!

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 05:01 PM
(#6)
Well guys I'm coming back to the field since tomorrow's a day-off at my waiter job.

My first week back to poker wasn't as good as I planed, and I had to review some things:

My old days in poker made me play a little above the recommended buy-in level, so I'm going down 1 step: I'll be playing $1 90 man and $1.5 45 man for the next days, since I have around $150 bankroll and can't afford $2.5 180 man and $3.5 45 man.

It's weird because I haven't played below $2.5 for over 2 years now, but it's nice because the word "restart" gets a stronger - and more challenging - meaning.

Due to my step down in buy-in, I'll be forced to review my VIP status goal for this month, so it will be chrome status now. It also feels weird because I've only rarely been under Gold in the last 2 years, but it's gonna be nice anyway.

Things got a bit better in Open Skill League, I'm around 3.7k th now after some decent results. I'll play around 5 tournaments today and tomorrow, so I hope I can be around 1kth if things go well.

I'll post later when I finish the session I'm starting right now! See you in the tables!

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:13 PM
(#7)
I started to post about tonight's session but it was exactly like my blog post, so here it goes: Tonight's session

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#8)
Well today was a quite stressing day. I ended up breaking even after 38 tournaments.

Some things I gotta note:
- My notebook can't play all the tables I'd like. It can't hold over 10 tables, which is pretty annoying. But I will have to deal with this for some time if I don't earn some big money in the next few weeks.

- I gotta rethink my mental game. Last night and today I had really huge bad beats but I can't let it make me mad like I got today. It was scary because my roll was getting to scary numbers, but I'll have to work on it.

Here's the graph of my quite stressfull day

Stressing session

See you!

Old
Wed Jan 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Nice comeback at the end there.

I have noticed that if i get stressed over losses I'm defiantly not playing my A game, Could be a time to take a break maybe flick though some history's and look again at some key hands.

was it bad play by you in which case a nice break could be in order or was it an unlucky break in which you got coolered in which case Trust in your game as you know your making the correct plays.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:12 AM
(#10)
Well just a quick post to keep things updated:

- Something absolutelly incredibly huge happened in my life. And it's absurdelly bad. This is impacting my play volume, I'm not being able to play as I'd like.

- I'm a bit frustrated because I realized the Skill League has absolutelly nothing to do with "real life" tournaments. It's so different that IMHO it can even be bad for new players who get used to this system and try to go to real life tournaments. It's waaay too flat and it rewards passiveness too much. But I'll make a longer, better structured post about this later.

- Even though, I have to say the League is way easier than I thought, because of this structure. It's only about letting they make their mistakes until you reach the money and if you're card dead, just let the blinds eat you and you're nice. I'm currently 2039th but I'm playing a tournament which has 379 remaining right now and hasn't been computed yet, so I'll be around 1500th soon. It's gonna be tough to play poker these days, but I'll do my best to achieve top 500 and make it to Premier in my 1st try.

Good luck!

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#11)
Hey guys, what's up?

League related: I've been playing all the league tournaments I can, it's tough because of my schedule but I'm being able to play quite a few.
I'm now 1,127th with 1897 pts. I still have to count a bad result which hasn't been computed yet, I busted around 2kth. I think there's a decent chance I make it into top 500, which will put me in the Premier.
Also I'm achieving 150 VPP's soon, which will allow me to earn the bigger rewards if I make it to Premier.

Non-League: I'm playing $1 90man and $1.5 45 man yet. I've made some profit today (a bit over $20) but I'll post the results of the whole day so it doesn't get too annoying. I'm finding them to be quite soft, but way less tough than they were 2 years ago. Ppl are being quite aggressive, which is great for their game.
I like this because poker is getting way more professional, which is great.

Personal: My personal life has been trashed due to the worst news in my whole life, but hopefully I'll be able to make it through this storm and go on.

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
take the qualifier root if dont have much time....better poker less time aand premiure ticket gl

Old
Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:33 PM
(#13)
Thanks for the good advice

Well no splendid results in PSO League today, I've made something like 2.5kth; 900th and 2kth, so probably will score around 20 points net.

My huge personal problem is way better, I won't talk about it anymore. Things are better than they could be.

And as promised, I'm posting today's results:

24-01 results

It was a decent day in terms of results. Finished around 400th out of 10k players in The Hot U$0.50 in a bad beat, and this is a very very easy game, so hopefully I'll score big in it someday. I'll try to play it more often but it's very tough due to my schedule.

Going to bed right now, will be back to the grind tomorrow!

See you!

Old
Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#14)
Hey guys =)

I've fixed my computer (hopefully) so I can play over 10 tables again. I lost some days in the Open Skill League and I'm now ~1700th, with 1876.06 pts.

Today I'm gonna play a small session, around 2h and the 9AM league tournament. I think I'm around 200 pts from making it into Premier League, so I still have a chance. It's gonna be tough to play the next days due to my job as a waiter but I think I'll be able to play 2 tournaments in the Thursday and 1 or 2 tournaments in the Friday.

It's not a very comfortable situation since I have to make some 3 or 4 good scores (<200th I think) to achieve Premier, but it's definitelly possible.

Good luck and wisdom for all of us!

Old
Sun Feb 03, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvic View Post
I'll be forced to review my VIP status goal for this month, so it will be chrome status now.
Yeah, me too.

But on the bright side, looks like things are going better for you too? Nice results there on the 24th! Wow, 48 games in one day!!

I can't figure out the player search thingie for the leagues ... did you wind up making the Premier League?

GL with the challenge!!

Old
Wed Feb 06, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#16)
Well I used to play online poker for a living so 48 games really isn't that much for my old standards I have some 150+ games days =D

This is why 2013 is a restart, or a comeback =D

I didn't make it into the Premier. I thought it ran from 3rd to next month's 2nd, but it's not this way, so I lost some important days. But now I'm in a nice shape for March's Premier. I'll post my results soon.

Here are my goals list for January:
[ ] Achieve Premier League - FAIL
[ ] Achieve Silver Star - FAIL
[x] One poker day per week. (For January I couldn't play 100 games in a single day because my notebook wasn't able to do that. So I counted as 6h+ of poker in a single day.)
[x] Play at least 3 times per week for 1~2h.

I'm a bit frustrated with my January volume of play. I thought I'd be able to play more. I had some awesomely big problem going on, but this is not enough to justify my low volume. My job as a waiter is taking soo much of my time, but I'll make it for February.

@Trusty an easy way to find your position in the league is to log in your account and click the RANK button next to your profile avatar, then click the League you're competing in.

The search is a bit weird imo also. You have to type the name and wait for a list of players with that name to appear, then you select the one you want to see Pls let me know if this helped you

Old
Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:37 PM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
omg! I used to play SNGs before I moved over to cash games, and 150 games took me *two months* to play lol lol!!!

Ahhh ... I understand about the comeback reference now 6hr+ is fantastic - I wasn't able to manage that either when I was playing SNGs either.

I was kind of hoping to get back to Silver star this month (ie play more volume) too, but with February being shorter ... guess I'll just be trying my best, but if it doesn't happen this month ... like there's always next month, eh?

Guess I didn't wait long enough for the search feature to finish searching lol Will have to give that another go ...

Hey, so GL GL with February!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com