Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

KK Facing Check-Raise AI on Turn

Old
KK Facing Check-Raise AI on Turn - Wed Jan 09, 2013, 04:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012

Only 4 hands on villain. I find it hard to fold in these spots, but with no reads, is it ok to call here?
He could be playing a FD/SD aggressively or have a set, but then looking back at the hand, what hands would he raise in EP & call a 3bet with that now have a FD; perhaps AdkD, AdQd, KdJd

Old
Wed Jan 09, 2013, 05:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2012

Another one where I just can't let go of big pre-flop hands!

Villain is 17/12, agg 1.2

His river bet looks like it's for value, but I just can't hit that fold button!

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Carl,

I think the key here is to have a plan for your hand... when you bet the turn, you should already know what you're going to do if he shoves. If the answer is easy, get it in, then betting is fine. If it's easy fold, then betting is also fine. If it's vomit, then maybe betting isn't the best course of action.

It's tough to know which is best obv with no reads, so it's really ok to not bet the turn here. His range to raise and call our 3b pre includes a lot of pocket pairs and big aces. All of which may peel on the flop, but what can we expect 3 streets of value from? AA, QQ, TT, 33 are beating us, JJ isn't calling a 2nd barrel on the turn. It's hard for him to have too many flush or straight draws because of the preflop action. About all we're extracting from legitimately is AQ, and even that may not be good for 3 streets. If we check back the turn though it looks like AK or JJ, and we'll get a 2nd street out of a lot of his weaker 1 pair hands on the river (Qx probably bets, and worse pairs bluff catch us a lot). And we induce any busted draws to bluff.

As played I honestly don't think we're ever good here. This would be a crazy line for AQ, and there just aren't many draws in his range. I hate putting this much money in and folding, but it looks grim.

The important thing to learn in this hand though isn't the question you posed on calling or folding the turn, it's in planning your hand so that you don't put yourself into this position in the first place or only do so when you have a clear plan you think is good.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:44 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk73 View Post

Another one where I just can't let go of big pre-flop hands!

Villain is 17/12, agg 1.2

His river bet looks like it's for value, but I just can't hit that fold button!
This hand just need to work on hand reading. What's this guys range? The flop is totally dry, and he's tight pre and passive post. So when he calls the flop he's slowplaying a set, has top pair, or a pocket in the middle like 88 that's going to call once cause it's just a c-bet. Once you determine that, you can check-fold the turn to any reasonable bet tbh... betting serves no purpose because nitty guys won't call too often with 88 here, so it's hard to get value from the middle pockets, and everything else is now ahead of you with the J pairing. He's passive, very likely to either check back a middle pair or bet really small with it. And on the river it's definitely a check-fold... again he's just not betting with worse pairs, he'll check those down almost always, but be betting all his trips+, classic passive guy line.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com