Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

QQ on a Axx flop

Old
QQ on a Axx flop - Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi,

How is it the best to play QQ against a flop that has an A? I think maybe I was a bit too agressive here. How would you have played this hand?

Thanks.

Last edited by Croyd93; Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:51 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
***Moved to appropriate forum***

I think this is fine kraxx0r, if you were OOP you could check behind as you would have more information when you act on the turn. However OOP I don't want to check and let a free card peel. Alternatively if you check and he bets then what, does he have top pair or is he stabbing at the pot? :S

Leading is definately best, winning a small pot is better than losing a big one

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Last edited by Croyd93; Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 02:56 AM..

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi kraxx,

I would actually consider checking here. I agree with Oliver in general but in this case we don't have to worry about what to do if he bets, as we have just less than a pot sized bet left in our stack. I'm not folding ever here with this small a stack so what's the best way to get the money in, betting or check/calling? The flop is totally dry, if we shove it seems like we are very unlikely to be called by worse hands, but obviously he's never folding an ace. If we check though we might be able to induce a bluff from broadways or get small pairs to put us in (or hero call us later), so I think we gain more EV checking here simply because of the board texture and stack sizes.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Why did you start the hand with only 34c? I'm not wholly against playing a short stack strategy, with something like 80c (which I think is the minimum buy-in for 2NL) but use auto-top-up so you always have at least that amount. Anything less means you're playing push/fold and will find it impossible to make money, as you'll basically only be playing TT+, AK.
You'll never learn how to maximise profits with superior play if all your decisions are made pre-flop or on the flop. The best winrates come from winning big stacks against calling stations post-flop.

As played, I check this flop. You're not often getting called by worse if you bet it, but villain might catch a pair worse than a Q if he checks the flop, so you can shove the turn.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com