Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Hi there,

I've just signed up to PokerSchoolOnline and I want to know if I qualify for this promotion?

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Old
Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JacNor81,

You are eligible for the Bank Roll Builder promo!

The next thing that you will need to do is to attend one of the 'Getting Started With Pokerstars' live training sessions. Please let me know after you have attended this session.

Also, you can be practicing on the play money NL ring tables and please post a hand that you were not sure about, using the hand replayer. Here's a short video on how to use the Hand Replayer

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:18 PM
(#3)
Hi!

I've just finished watching the "Getting started..." session. Very useful.
Can you tell me what's the next step?

Thanks.

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:57 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JacNor81!

As per post 2, you need to play the play money full ring (9 player) tables and post a hand that you had problems with using the replayer.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Pocket Aces - Sat Jan 12, 2013, 05:32 PM
(#5)

Hi again.

Haven't got the chance to play many hands, but i chose this one for the hand posting.

So in this hand i got 2 aces on the button.
With a limper i should've open raised to 4BB, but instead i went with 6BB to try and get rid of the blinds. That didn't work (because it's play money and i guess everybody loves to see a flop ).
So on the flop i had to shove my remaining chips.

My idea was to reduce the number of opponents on the flop. Was the open-raise size ok?

Thanks.

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 07:52 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JacNor81!

With AA (or any hand that I'm going to raise with), I'll make a standard raise (3BB+1BB for each limper). With 1 limper, I'll raise to 40. I do not want to make a non-std raise and raise more with better hands, as an observant opp will pick up on this as it is a tell to the strength of my hand. By making standard raises, it helps to conceal the strength of my hand.

The flop has a club flush draw and I get a bet and call in front of me. If I had the chips, I'd make a pot sized raise, but since I don't have that many chips, I'll shove. The problem with not being able to raise enough is that if all the opps call me, any opp that has a flush draw is getting the correct odds to draw to beat me (something I want to avoid if at all possible).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JacNor81!

Now we want to get you playing on the real money tables. Next up, and spend some time on this one , study the Poker Basic Course and take the basic assessment quiz at the end of that course.

Once you have passed this quiz, please let us know and your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours of passing it and notifying us. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Post back here when you get your first buy-in and start playing these games and we'll continue on from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 13, 2013, 04:16 AM
(#8)
Hi!

I've already passed the 'poker basics' and 'cash game' courses but i guess another look won't hurt.

Thanks.

Old
Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JacNor81!

Congrats on passing the quiz. Your first buy-in will be credited into your account within 24 hours. Remember you can earn up to a total of $8 with this promotion.

Use this first buy-in to then play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables only on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Don't worry if you lose this first buy-in as you will be able to earn another buy-in should this happen. It's always best to buy-into a table with the maximum that you can. That way, you can get paid more for your monster hands.

Use all that you have learned so far to try some real money games (1/2 cent tables). Post any hands that you have difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyse them for you.

Also, please attend the 'Bet Sizing' live training session. This session can be found daily in the Live Training section.

When you've done all this we will move you onto the next stage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 11:06 AM
(#10)
Hi JWK24!

I've started playing the real money tables. I know you recommended using a full buy-in, but is there a problem using only 40BB ? I feel like i play more tight and focused with a smaller stack...

As for the bet sizing training, i registered for today's session.

Finally here is a hand where i've got a question:

It was a standard open-raise with AJo, 2 villains called, hit top pair top kicker on the flop with a dry board and normal 1/2 pot bet.
On the turn however i think i should've gone all-in instead of betting 1/2 pot, since my bet was half of my remaining stack... What do you think?

Thanks.

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:35 PM
(#11)
Hi.

Just to let you know, i've just attended the 'bet sizing' training session.

Old
Mon Jan 14, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacNor81 View Post
Hi JWK24!

I've started playing the real money tables. I know you recommended using a full buy-in, but is there a problem using only 40BB ? I feel like i play more tight and focused with a smaller stack...

As for the bet sizing training, i registered for today's session.

Finally here is a hand where i've got a question:

It was a standard open-raise with AJo, 2 villains called, hit top pair top kicker on the flop with a dry board and normal 1/2 pot bet.
On the turn however i think i should've gone all-in instead of betting 1/2 pot, since my bet was half of my remaining stack... What do you think?

Thanks.
Hi JacNor81

This hand was interesting, in particular, because it answers you question about buying in for only 40BBs rather than 100BBs.

Preflop, well played, AJo from mid position is good to open iwth and your raise size was spot on.

You flopped top pair top kicker (tptk). Leading with a 50% pot c-bet looks great. Again, well done.

On the turn things get interesting. Normally I would agree that making another 50% pot bet for value is standard. However, that leaves you with only 20 behind which has several implications if your opponent continues with the hand. Firstly, you are committed to the pot. Secondly, you have very little fold equity for a river bet, and finally as JWK mentioned, you miss out on important value.
You won this hand, would you have won more from the villain had you had a full stack...?

I think I would have just moved all in on the turn here to make the most out of your remaining chips. Playing with a short stack changes the strategy a bit. Some players regularly buy in for the minimum. They are called short stackers. This strategy normally means more all in moves which in turn causes more ups and downs with your bankroll. Playing short stacked does work for some, but it limits your options at the table.

You played this hand nicely. However, until you get more experience, I would suggest buying in for the full amount. Whether you play deep stacked or short stacked, playing tight and focused is a good idea

Old
99 Early position - Tue Jan 15, 2013, 11:00 AM
(#13)
Hi!

Here's a hand that i think wasn't played very well...

With 99 in hand i open-raised from early position. The big blind made a small raise (6BB) and i called (probably not the best decision).

On the flop, the opponent just checked and maybe i should have checked behind but i made a bet to try and end it there. Didn't work.

On the turn came a third club. Since i only had 4th pair i checked behind.

On the river came an 8 which completed a straight for me. The opponent made a small bet. I didn't think he had a flush so i raised to make him go all-in.

I think i made some bad decisions in this hand. What do you think?

Thanks.

Old
Tue Jan 15, 2013, 03:22 PM
(#14)
Quote:
Hi!

Here's a hand that i think wasn't played very well...

With 99 in hand i open-raised from early position. The big blind made a small raise (6BB) and i called (probably not the best decision).

On the flop, the opponent just checked and maybe i should have checked behind but i made a bet to try and end it there. Didn't work.

On the turn came a third club. Since i only had 4th pair i checked behind.

On the river came an 8 which completed a straight for me. The opponent made a small bet. I didn't think he had a flush so i raised to make him go all-in.

I think i made some bad decisions in this hand. What do you think?

Thanks.
Hi JacNor81

Opening with 99 from early position is fine. I open with 77+ and AJs+ from that spot. Normally, I would suggest folding to a 3-bet because playing small/medium pocket pairs is tough post flop since there are so many overcards.

However, you actually have postion on the villain here, and he only has 30 cents left. Did you have any type of read on him? He seems weak just by looking at his stack size. If he has been raising light, I would consider 4-betting all in.

Playing against such a small stack relative to the pot forces us to decide now preflop whether we want to fold or play for his entire stack. Calling seems to be the worst option because the villain will only have enough behind for a pot sized bet (and will probably feel committed to the pot) and it is very likely that at least one overcard will come on the flop which will be scary for you.

Depending on my read, I would be folding to the 3-bet or moving all in preflop while you still have some fold equity.

As played, reraising the river looks good. There is a decent chance you are ahead and you are only risking another 10 cents.

Hope this helps!

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:33 AM
(#15)
Hi!

Here´s another one.

Had KK on the Small Blind. There was an open-raise from early position and a call. With KK i re-raised to 12BB and got called only by the original raiser.

The flop was an A-high board. I had put the opponent on a "TT-QQ, ATs, AJo+" range, so the Ace made me worry. Therefore i didn't go for a cbet, which would have meant a commitment of my reamining stack. I chose to check-fold.
But the villain decided to make a bet value of exactly my remaining stack. I thought that was a bluff and called. Turns out it wasn't.

But the poker gods brought a King on the river !!!

So what do you think about the hand?

Btw, i've completed the 3 steps required (play real-money, post hands, bet sizing training), so what's next ?

Thanks.

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Hi!

Here´s another one.

Had KK on the Small Blind. There was an open-raise from early position and a call. With KK i re-raised to 12BB and got called only by the original raiser.

The flop was an A-high board. I had put the opponent on a "TT-QQ, ATs, AJo+" range, so the Ace made me worry. Therefore i didn't go for a cbet, which would have meant a commitment of my reamining stack. I chose to check-fold.
But the villain decided to make a bet value of exactly my remaining stack. I thought that was a bluff and called. Turns out it wasn't.

But the poker gods brought a King on the river !!!

So what do you think about the hand?

Btw, i've completed the 3 steps required (play real-money, post hands, bet sizing training), so what's next ?

Thanks.
Hi JacNor81

Your stack size makes this a very tough spot. Preflop looks good. I think reraising as you did is best. You have the 2nd best hand here. However, if you wanted to play safe with your small stack, you could call preflop and check-fold to an A on the flop, or bet if no ace comes. This is a greater risk since it will be a multiway pot, but might protect your stack.

On the flop, I would suggest shoving if no A comes, and checking if one does. Normally, I would cbet even with the A, but here the pot is already the size of your stack. If the villain checks the flop, then I would shove the turn no matter what card comes. Now, if you chose to check the flop, then I would fold to the all in bet rather than calling as you did.

You always want to plan ahead in a hand. If you intended to call the bet, then it would be better to move all in yourself. Your bet size has fold equity even against some weaker aces.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Jan 17, 2013, 05:38 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JacNor81!

Please play with this buy-in for as long as possible. If you lose it, don't worry, we'll move onto the next step either then or when you are able to earn 10VPP's with this one.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:12 AM
(#18)
Hi John!

I've just collected the 10VPP's without going broke. Can you let me know what's next?

Thanks.

Old
Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:05 PM
(#19)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JacNor81!

This can take 48-72 hrs to show in our system. I only show 5.77vpp's for you so far, as of now.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#20)
Hi John!

Just wondering if the system already shows that i've reached the 10VPP mark. I'm really looking forward to the next step.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com